ad: elecraft

QRZ Callsign Database Policy Change

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4TGK

K4TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred:
    I subscribed and I am happy to have done so. The only thing I would ask is make the subscription page compatible with Opera browser. I use that because it is easier for me to zoom. (worn out eyes). I have tried to subscribe with it and it keeps returning to the sign-in page. I had to open IE, which i absolutely detest. I did it anyway. I am otherwise extremely happy to subscribe. Works faster too.

2. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

I don't think it's an issue of the source of the data being sold here but rather the service to deliver that data. If you look over the internet, there are a vast myriad of people making money off of someone else's data or work by selling the 'delivery' of that data or works. A good example is the selling of manuals available free for download from many of the manufacturers but someone collects the manuals, puts them on a CD and sells them for $5 to 10 a throw. Their disclaimer is that they are selling the delivery not the contents so thereby no infringing on any copyright laws.

Fred and QRZ simply are providing a fast and effcient delivery method for public data like the FCC database and such. I had been a subscriber and will continue to do so.

Gene W5DQ

3. VE3BNO/SK2023

VE3BNO/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

looks good to me, Fred.....I wondered how long it would be before the load caught up
    to you........

Thanks for running such a great service...........

George VE3BNO

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a good move all around; I wonder why this has not been the rule along.

This does encourage clubs that engage in contesting to become QRZ members.
    Good deal Fred. :)

5. VP9KS

VP9KS Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo Zulu fred

6. W0FCE

W0FCE Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for taking control. Appreciate a casual lookup so we are glad to be a member

Bill

W0FCE

7. WB0UUB

WB0UUB Ham Member QRZ Page

database access change

Sounds excellent to me!
    WB0UUB

8. KV9L

KV9L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure if I totally agree with the cost since its really just "free" "delimited" data (or freely inputted for non US hams) just parsed into another DB format. Having owned and sold a successful hosting company I truly understand Application Development Costs, Ping, Pipe and Power..... I think someone is going to try and make a pretty penny.

Here's my $30.... I think you need it more than I do ;)

9. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In usual modesty, Fred didn't mention the popularity of QRZ amongst legitimate users. While the bots love it, people love it more. I don't know how many times I have talked to a DX contact who was checking out my QRZ.com page. A new ham may not know what QRZ means but he knows what QRZ.com is.

If something were to happen to QRZ.com tomorrow, I would mortgage my house and gather together whatever business investors I could to put up an identical site. I have no doubt it would be a good investment. This is almost a necessity and certainly a major convenience to anyone who operates amateur radio.

10. K5FNI

K5FNI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, honestly, Guy, don't you think you should take that up with the program's author instead of with QRZ? I surely think that you should.

11. 2M0CDD

2M0CDD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, the popularity of QRZ.com is amazing. Even those who do not use it, or the internet, know of its existence. As to, 'could I live without it'. Yes, I could. I dont have my rig hooked up to my computer, indeed, there is no computer in the shack, so I just keep a paper log next to the rig. Later in the day, or maybe a few days later, I enter my contacts into HRD. Sure, Its a big help auto-loading the fields. But do I need all that data? What do I use that data for? I 'think' I need all the data that qrz provides, but the reality is, I don't. I use the data to generate a qso map via the HRD system to display on my own web site, and on my profile, here, at qrz.com. When you have a certain number of qsos, the map looks jumbled, and meaningless. Of course, I can use google earth to provide a scalable presentation, but is it useful? Again, it can all start looking overloaded with too much information. I use the data to show friends, neighbours who have a curiosity about amateur radio, so my maps must be clear, not overloaded. So for me, the usefulness with all this data is limited. It is all to do with what you use the data for. I don't contest, I just like the odd ragchew and chase DX, so other users of the qrz.com service will have vastly differing requirements. Yes you are correct, it is a major convienience, but for me, not a necessity. The paper logs still have all the essentials I really need.

Wondering if others could pitch in with how they use qrz.com. I genuinely find this a fascinating topic.

12. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was copied from the Subscription Info right here on QRZ.

How much does it cost?

QRZ offers a number of subscription packages to suit your budget. Our popular XML Logbook Data subscriptions are reasonably priced at just $29.95 per year.

So where does the $59 come from that some are talking about?:confused:

For 8 cents a day I will gladly pay the XML subscription. If I log 5 QSO's a day using the QRZ data base to get the information of the station I am working that works out to 1.6 cents for every log book entry. Well worth it to me instead of hand typing all the info into the log file.

For those who are logging more contacts than I am then it is a bargain to say the least.

EIGHT CENTS A DAY. What else can you get for 8 cents a day when it comes to ham radio?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  13. VE3PP

I am sorry, but I have never quite understand this "I am a fairly new ham and don't have tons of money" statement.

So you think that after being a ham for 10 years you will suddenly have tons of money? :confused:

Being a new ham or an long time ham does not dictate how much money you have. Your job and lifestyle dictate that.

If you can not afford the 8 cents a day for the XML then don't sign up. However please do not expect a free ride from the owner of QRZ. This is a major league website with lots of traffic, bandwidth, and it is costly to operate. Not to mention time consuming.

As I sit here typing this I am working a VK station on 40 meters JT65. I simply typed in his call into the HRD logbook, hit QRZ and there is his information. Now how sweet is that for EIGHT CENTS a day. ;)

14. VE3PP

I am sorry, but I have never quite understand this "I am a fairly new ham and don't have tons of money" statement.

So you think that after being a ham for 10 years you will suddenly have tons of money? :confused:

Being a new ham or an long time ham does not dictate how much money you have. Your job and lifestyle dictate that.

If you can not afford the 8 cents a day for the XML then don't sign up. However please do not expect a free ride from the owner of QRZ. This is a major league website with lots of traffic, bandwidth, and it is costly to operate. Not to mention time consuming.

As I sit here typing this I am working a VK station on 40 meters JT65. I simply typed in his call into the HRD logbook, hit QRZ and there is his information. Now how sweet is that for EIGHT CENTS a day. ;)

There used to be a saying when I was young "Grass, Gas or Ass, nobody rides for free" That old saying still holds true in this day and age. Too many people feel they are entitled to hand outs whether it be from our Governments or someone else.

If you can not afford the subscription rate, I understand that. But please do not complain and say it should be free.

15. OH3GGQ

OH3GGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also in the service providing business and therefore I totally understand and support your new action...I was just wondering for a few days, why my lookup does not work :) Now I know and will take action, because the lookup functonality is really neat!

OH3GGQ/Sauli
    http://oh3ggq.blogspot.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.