ad: Flexradio-1

Ham Arrested at NC Airport

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4PG, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Police started questioning him after noticing the car’s Ohio license plate and equipment, including a digital dashboard camera and multiple antennas."

News Source: http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100427/NEWS/304270032

Lessons Learned:

1. Don't drive a car with an 8 call licence plate.

2. No "equipment" (Assuming this means ham radio)

3. Don't possess digital camera's in your car.

3. Do no install multiple antenna's on your vehicle.

Did I cover everything that's apparently illegal?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. KC5COF

KC5COF Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to work at the Asheville Airport, the officers there are ALWAYS looking for something to get into. Problem is they don't act when they need to and overreact when they don't need to.

I had a passenger throw a metal trashcan lid because she missed her flight. It barely missed 2 agents standing behind the counter, hit the wall and bent it where it would not fit on the can correctly. Instead of arresting her or even giving her a citation they let her go.

But if there is a plane coming in with an issue, I had every cop on duty there. Even if we tell them that it is just a mouthy passenger.

Point is, that this is blown wayyyy out of proportion. It appears from the reports that I have read that he pulled into the parking lot as the plane was taxiing for take off. If he really planned to do harm to the President, wouldn't he have been there BEFORE he boarded the plane? Take a look inside your vehicle.... do you have multiple radios? multiple antennas? call sign plates? If you are spotter using chasetv or severestudios and have a camera on the dash...Does that make you a threat? I agree getting out of a car with a handgun strapped to your leg at an airport is not smart....but charging him with "going armed to the terror of the public" is stupid. The county will have to prove that he planned to terrorize and show what public were terrorized.

Honestly I think it was just some local airport cops trying to get brownie points with the SS, BTW the SS hates that and it does not help with applications.

Chris

3. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

?????????????

4. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They noticed him after the plane took off. He was there before it took off. They just never said how long before.

5. WX7CAR

WX7CAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, lets see.

You go to the airport armed

You know the Pres is there

You intend to see the Pres (armed)

Don't see many smarts here at all.

6. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

The more I look at pix of his car, the more the antenna arrangement looks like it's intended to look like the array on Ohio State Patrol cars.

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now if US law enforcement could only be as proactive and alert as this at the Mexican border this might be a better world and to correct the title of this thread, it should read, a Man with a Gun was Arrested at the Airport. The fact he holds a ham ticket is irrelevant to this entire discussion.

I'll bet he has a drivers license, a fishing license, a hunting license etc. Think this will be on the front page of a fishing or hunting magazine or a thread on a website about car racing?

I think not.

K2WH

9. KC5CQW

KC5CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Uber Hamsexy...
    Why do these whackers need emergency lights and sirens?
    When I was a full time EMT, I used them as little as possible.
    These rogue "Paul Blart" E-COM wannabe's are only doing this for attention.
    No girlfriends I guess...

I'm all for open carry but... not on the hips of loser idiots like this!

10. K9ZU

K9ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I know where this thread will wind up...

"Police arrested McVey yesterday afternoon at Asheville Regional Airport after he was seen carrying a gun and had a siren and flashing lights in his car."

... http://www.hamsexy.com/

11. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

ECOMMER GO FIGURE

[​IMG]

" OFFICER THATS MY ECOMM SKYWARN CHASE CAR "

THE GUN IS FOR MY PROTECTION FROM
    BANJO PICKING HILLBILLYS !

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

12. K4UUG

K8JSM ECOMMER

"HEY OFFICER I AM A REACT MEMBER !":p

13. KB1LID

KB1LID Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new member I am saddened by your post. Take a deep long breath and remind yourself that life is only as bad as you make it.

14. W8AJL

W8AJL Ham Member QRZ Page

K8JSM???

If this is K8JSM and im sure it is Ive heard him on one of the local repeaters here. Always seemed nice and open to helping other hams and was always good for a nice chat. With that said I have no idea the situation that occured with him in an airport and having a firearm. Im not one to judge but common sence out weighs anything else here. Airports and guns dont match up unless your L.E. and Sean is not as far as I know.

With that said I am in L.E. and I would like to say that we should let the incident play out before we judge.

15. K4UUG

W8AJL

THE OHIO LIC PLATE SHOWS THE CALL SIGN K8JSM :confused::rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.