ad: Radclub22-1

CQWW 160m band segment violations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD6IL

KD6IL Ham Member QRZ Page

People routinely use more power than is necessary for the given situation.

2. KE5ZGI

KE5ZGI Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a comment based on US Region feedbacks here in this Forum. It is understood that different Regions have different rules.

3. AA8X

AA8X Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesters gone wild!

And when did contesters ever pay any attention to the rules? Just listen, they do anything they desire and the rules mean little as they take over the bands.

4. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for that fact.

I've always found it interesting that so many hams rely on the ARRL
    web site and publications as the source for FCC rules.

K5RX likes this.
  5. WA5ZNU

WA5ZNU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

delete delete delete

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  6. KE5ZGI

KE5ZGI Ham Member QRZ Page

...The FCC does not manage the Band plan. The FCC issues a frequency allocation which through gentlemans agreements are managed within the community. Yes there are exceptions due to international rules. Lets get this straight please.

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, they pay attention to the rules all the time. If this was not the case, where are all the FCC letters?

As to the latest incident, operating outside the band limit imposed by a licensing authority is not good news. I would expect some DQs out of this one.

K5RX likes this.
  8. KJ4BIX

KJ4BIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL band charts

I just went and looked at the ARRL band chart (Feb 23 2007) and it shows both RTTY/Data and Phone/Image from 1.800 to 2.000, with no CW only area.

9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed the side note:

-------------------------
    Note:
    CW operation is permitted throughout all
    amateur bands except 60 meters.
    -------------------------

10. KU5B

KU5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I did all 30 hours in this from a nice station in central Texas and ran at 1805.75 for an hour or so and heard a C6 running just above me for quite a while. I never worked any R1 while down there.

The first night I had a good freq in the middle of the band but the second night I found myself jumping around as my freq either got taking by a EU or the QRM simply got too unbearable. There was very good reason to be above 1900. There were practically no empty spots below 1900 that I felt would be reasonable to run without crowding somebody else.

As to excessive power...I just don't really see that as a plausible allegation without evidence. I ran ~1200w the entire contest. This location just happens to have some of the best soil conductivity in Texas in addition to a nice antenna. I can't help that I'm legally loud.

But what does a 22 yr old know, anyway?

Colin KU5B

K5RX likes this.
  11. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

delete, dupe post

12. WV2B

WV2B Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a difference between band plans, and regulations. In the US phone is legal through the whole band according to FCC regualtions. Although a suggested band plan might indicate a cw only segment. Of course, on LSB anything belwo 1803 would be out of the band.

13. KK1X

KK1X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not in Region 1:
    1810 - 1838 200 CW, 1836 kHz - QRP Centre of Activity
    1838 - 1840 500 Narrow band modes
    1840 - 1843 2700 All modes – digimodes, (*)
    1843 - 2000 2700 All modes, (*)

14. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I know. I was responding to the comment regarding the ARRL band chart.

That being said, thanks for the R1 allocations. Is that the ITU spec or from some other source? When I see "QRP Centre of Activity", it doesn't sound ITUish....

15. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Always been my understanding.....Do I need to re-check the allocations??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.