ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default HSMM-MESH

HSMM-MESH (High Speed MultiMedia) is a great new technology that we as amateur radio Operators can take full advantage of. It's Wi-Fi on steroids!
    We don't have to be hobbled by part 15 limitations, we can also use OUR frequency allocations, and avoid a majority of interference by part 15 devices.
    Common, inexpensive off the shelf equipment is used and or simply modified for this application.

HSMM-MESH can enable Hams to have a robust mesh network for uses such as VOIP, callbook lookups, communication, SAR, mapping, EM-Comm, etc. The applications are endless!

More information at http://hsmm-mesh.org

Very interesting... I walked past of huge pile of these routers at a surplus store recently, and I knew I would regret it.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

They need to hookup with the BATMAN team... They are working on client-client mesh networks to support VoIP.

http://villagetelco.org/mesh-potato/
    Corey, KC2UGV

I was just about to mention the Mesh Potato.

Great podcast about it here: http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/196

I am one of several amateur radio operators in El Paso, Texas that are experimenting with HSMM-MESH. We have monthly meetings in local parks to experiment with different methods of using the MESH network. On February 19th we were able to use the system to provide support for the annual Susan Komen Race for the Cure. The HSMM system was used to provide video from 9 ip cameras on the 1.8 mile course to race control. It was truly a rewarding experience and we look forward to expanding the support next year. The photo shows 8 active cameras before the start of the event. Video.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by W5LMM View Post
    HSMM-MESH (High Speed MultiMedia) is a great new technology that we as amateur radio Operators can take full advantage of. It's Wi-Fi on steroids!
    We don't have to be hobbled by part 15 limitations, we can also use OUR frequency allocations, and avoid a majority of interference by part 15 devices.
    Common, inexpensive off the shelf equipment is used and or simply modified for this application.

HSMM-MESH can enable Hams to have a robust mesh network for uses such as VOIP, callbook lookups, communication, SAR, mapping, EM-Comm, etc. The applications are endless!

More information at http://hsmm-mesh.org
    "New" technology? I've been running MESH routers for quite sometime, as in like 5+ years, what's "new" about it? I've also never "had" to push the power beyond part 15 limits either and I've got one router that's got almost a 1Km path. Proper antennas.
    73 Mike #KG4RRH

Quote Originally Posted by KG4RRH View Post
    "New" technology? I've been running MESH routers for quite sometime, as in like 5+ years, what's "new" about it? I've also never "had" to push the power beyond part 15 limits either and I've got one router that's got almost a 1Km path. Proper antennas.
    Hi Mike!

Yes, it is not really "New" to us IT types, however, it's virtually unknown to the Ham community, and I'm trying to get the word out. I'd like to see it mainstream. The more the merrier, and we could all benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by AE5HE View Post
    I am one of several amateur radio operators in El Paso, Texas that are experimenting with HSMM-MESH. We have monthly meetings in local parks to experiment with different methods of using the MESH network. On February 19th we were able to use the system to provide support for the annual Susan Komen Race for the Cure. The HSMM system was used to provide video from 9 ip cameras on the 1.8 mile course to race control. It was truly a rewarding experience and we look forward to expanding the support next year. The photo shows 8 active cameras before the start of the event. Video.JPG

That's what I'm talking about! GREAT Use! Things like this, and exchange of information during emergencies, mapping, etc. This technology in our toolbag can greatly increase the value of services we offer our communities!

This is coolbeans! I'd heard of the mesh potato, and am looking forward to modding a WRT54G for hinternet funtimes. I can say that even with a good waveguide, part 15 power would not be enough for most applications out in my rugged area. Glad to hear there is a lot of activity in developing this stuff for ham use. Would you please recommend any groups that might help new hams, or hams new to HSMM applications get started?

Ok, your site has happy forums.

This was a fine basic intro. But the mesh concept is pretty immediate for folks who are familiar with ptp. Essentially it's a high speed automated traffic net system, so it's funny hams haven't jumped on this stuff more and sooner. The WRT54G is an awesome radio, a hackable standard, so a good choice. I was going to flash mine with one of the standard WRT linices, but your mesh firmware distro looks ripping swank. Auto linked ptp mesh, the advertised services, and virtual tunnelling are good ideas. If hams actually want more young folks getting licenses, forget HT's, this is the way to go. It's inexpensive gear, too. Get the highschoolers building these...

Well done, sir. Thanks for head's up. Frankly, I'm jazzed. +1 convert.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast