ad: Alphaant-1

Yaesu's Newest Transceiver The FTdx3000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4CLM, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA9SDJ

WA9SDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Which only runs on the world's worst operating system..

2. WW3ZZ

WW3ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like the Yaesu products. I'm in the neighborhood of picking up a second rig. If the price is in the $1500 - $1800 price range I will consider this new Yaesu product. If not, I will go with the FT-950. I've always heard "it's the best radio for the price". I really enjoy FT-2000 so I'm looking to stick with Yaesu.

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ICOM was the first to introduce an LCD screen, dual watch and virtual "S" meters to which the others are now emulating.

The other 2 have been moving in with their own screens. Your statement is confusing. You don't think it looks anything like the 756 but then you state and agree that Kenwood and Yaesu are changing the look of their radios to be similar to ICOM's. Which is it? Is it similar or not?

K2WH

4. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well as for the Flex and even it's newest 6000 they still have worst audio of any radio on the market other than the $40 Cb's. Icom which I love and have several of even the newest ones an (IC-9100, IC-2820) has fallen far behind in receiver preformance and must do some serious catchup with their flagship IC-77-7800's.

The FTDX-3000 is positioning itself to do several different things at one time. The receiver and filters are the same as the FTDX-5000 top dog but in a single receiver 100w radio. It will do several things, take the TS-590's out of the game for sure and there second mark is the base K3 it will have a better receiver and a lot more features at a lower price in a real radio setup and full size. This could be a serious challenge to Elecraft and the K3 there main line radio and profit point because everything is an add on for it.

If I had my guess they are revamping the line of there HF radios next the FTDX-4000 for the old FT-2000 using the new receivers, filters to update it. As far as pricing you have to remember the FTDX-5000 is selling for close to $4800 street prices in some areas so 2 steps down should give you an idea of where the price point is on the FTDX-3000.

One other thing of note for the first time on the Yaesu HF rigs is a FINALLY USB port that even the 5000 is lacking. It seems now that Yaesu has but one thing to offer the Ham radio market it will do all it can to dominate at least for a while. The president and owner are very capable to do just that very thing.

5. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a FT-950 which I use daily and IMO it is a good buy for the money. Now I am not a contest guy, and I do not chase DX for a living. But for every day use, rag chewing, and I use it daily with digital modes it is a good solid radio.

The learning curve on it is not small, it took me some time to learn how to get the most of the menu settings on receive.

I get excellent audio reports with a Heil GM-5 mic.

My only wish for the FT-950 is, an analog S Meter (Which the FTDX-3000 has)

6. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone actually operated one of these radios, or is this all idle conjecture?

There appears to be many FanBouys of all the major players, and many detractors sounds like a bunch of high school kids bragging about the family car.

Once a few are let out into the wild and reviews are written then is the time, right now you are talking up a not for sale product.

Wow look at all the free advertising..

7. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Taking a look at this radio..the MOST interesting stuff I see about this radio is the connections on the back panel for shared RX output and IF output.

That would make it super easy to connect up a $70 softrock SDR for 192khz panadapter display much in the same way I 'modded' my FT-450 to do the same.

8. W9CW

W9CW Ham Member QRZ Page

According to two upper-echelon Yaesu employees, the FTdx3000 will "eventually" replace the FT-2000, even though it only has one receiver. It is not a replacement for the FT-950. Rob Sherwood is about to publish his test data on the FT-950, and believe it or not, the receiver dynamics on the FT-950 are superior to the FT-2000.

9. N4BCD

N4BCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I drive an FT-950, using it for casual contesting & chasing DX. Having spent 2 days in Dayton & visiting the booths several times, here are my thoughts on the ride home...

Until today there wasn't a radio on the market that could meet my price / performance / ergonomics target. Until today a down converting radio, better dynamic range and good layout was out of my price range.

This year we'll see 3 serious new radios hit the market - the FT-3K, the Flex 6K, and the TS-990. Even though all three were under plexiglass while the developers finish firmware, we can assume that all three will be type accepted in the coming months. The FT-3K is at the top of my list as an affordable & attractive improvement to the FT-950. One shortcoming I saw - still no TX power knob.

A great show and an exciting time for new product offerings.

The only unfortunate thing that happened at the hamfest - someone else won the Alpha tuner at the DX banquet.

10. N8UMW

N8UMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst OS

Which one is that? Apple?

11. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I will definitely consider the FTDX3000 as a purchase for the house. I love the look. I dumped my flex 5K end of last year. Now with the so called innovative flex 6000 series of garbage I will never go back to flex and, I have had 3 sdr 1000s and a 5K so I would consider myself a good flex customer. ( x customer) Now they want you to pay yearly for software updates? HAHA.. There went the whole idea of flex radio. I am also interested in the 990 but I think its going to be another 10 grand rig so I would pass if thats the case. I have better things to do with my money and time.

12. WA9SDJ

WA9SDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha, your right, it's an even tie, they Apple and m$ suck equally..

13. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I own a FT-950 and the lack of a power control does not bother me. I simply set up the CS Menu button for the power level menu. One push of a button and then change power settings with the CLAR/VFO dial.

If Yaesu sets the rig up to enable that option then I have no issues with that.

14. N1QEH

N1QEH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello My name is AL.Williams and call is N1QEH
    I am a faithful fan of Yaesu I have all Yaesu rigs I have always like the design of them and how they are set up FACT BUT the FT DX 3000 well I don't like to speak bad but that radio reminds me of an old AM/FM desk radio sorry I would not have one in my shack the design team really needs to go back to the drawing board with that one :confused:

15. N9WW

N9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking for a backup rig to my K3 SDR and maybe the FTDX3000 will fit the bill. The new Flex 6000 Series looks nice but if they want to charge for updates, I think I'll pass. (I wonder if they figured out the keyer latency issue with the new 6000 or is it a SSB only rig :) ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.