ad: AbAuRe-1

Yaesu FTM-500D Announced

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI5SAI, Feb 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Yaesu can't please everyone. There will always be someone complaining. If you don't like the radio don't buy it.

W6SAE likes this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

On another thread I posted it is a gimmick rig with nothing I want or need. As I stated there the bigger the head the hard it is to place in the sightline. I use remote speakers for the desired sound.
    I just wish they would actually design in capability over fashioning them to the lowest common denominator ham in the market. Give me a rig that does SSB and I will open my wallet. For now I won't.
    I run an FTM 100dr and it does everything this thing does as far as I am concerned and it takes up little space on the dash.

KN4HYG and K9TDW like this.
  3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my FTM-400 much. And when there is now something to make it better, why not. The programming places in the software needs an overwork. And for satellite operations USB / LSB option could be helpful and in this frequency section the resolution got to be more fine. At next the pager function of the APRS needs an easier access, because nobody wants to use it really this way. The touchdisplay with the spectrumscope should stay. Its always good to find and to prove disturbances or to watch the traffic on the bands. (Needed that more than once in the past to prove this or that)

At next the C4FM data transmitting should get point to point without a network. And the firmware updates could be easier done directly in use with a smardcard.

OK, the new FTM-500 isnt out for that features I think. But maybe next time.

4. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

SOOOOO.....where is Kenwood in this day? Still no suppliers for your chips? Ya gonna ditch HAMCATION AGAIN this year, Kenwood?!?

UT7UX and W7USD like this.
  5. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes more than likely they will not be there. They make plenty of money selling commercial and public safety products.

No need for them to play in the hammy world.

UT7UX and NU4R like this.
  6. DO5OMH

DO5OMH Ham Member QRZ Page

This is Yaesu's new policy. Constantly new devices with the same characteristics.
    No keyboard for chatting, no SSB for real amateur radio, no high power output.... always the same things.
    On the handheld radios they did the same. They just want to constantly generate new sales

UT7UX and W7USD like this.
  7. W9EAM

W9EAM Ham Member QRZ Page

i would be a buyer if this 500 had ssb. i talk on 2m ssb mobile with a horizontal loop on tri-mag but just read that it has am and fm no thanks will pass

N8AJM, AK4PY and K9TDW like this.
  8. WC4R

WC4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Similar to the 400 in most every way. Some newer Yaesu unique features added. Had to do this because certain parts were no longer available for the 400. Styled for continuity with 300 etc.

9. AA3RC

AA3RC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But does it have memory banks? The only reason I don't own a 400 and other Yaesu V/U rigs. Big miss by Yaesu. Hopefully fixed on this one.

AI7NC, NO9X and KR2C like this.
  10. W1DRV

W1DRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great points being made, I hope Yaesu is listening! It seems for every 10 redundant FM dual banders, an iconic radio comes along…
    Still waiting for a multimode FT-991A replacement… If it’s a cross between the 710 and Dx10, it’ll be an overnight success.
    Hopefully, it’ll sport the better DSP chips from the DX10.
    It would be nice if Yaesu had a IC-9100 equivalent too… Just look at the used prices! A 220 plug-in board would be the icing on the cake.
    If manufacturers want to know the marketability of a radio, just look at the prices on the preowned market.

HA3FLT likes this.
  11. W9EAM

W9EAM Ham Member QRZ Page

12. K9BDC

K9BDC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The FTM200, FTM300, and FTM400 don't have memory banks. It seems odd, especially when their current HT lineup has them. I haven't heard an official explanation as to why that is.

AI7NC, KR2C and AK4PY like this.
  13. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but they should strive to please the maximum number of customers, existing and potential, as possible.

Yaesu comes to announce a new amateur radio in a amateur radio forum. They are soliciting informal feedback on a publicly available forum, yet you want nothing negative said. Any business school would laugh.

Customers will do as they will. They don't need the obvious stated to them.

UT7UX likes this.
  14. N8FWD

N8FWD Ham Member QRZ Page

John Kruk Yaesu Sales Manager had a video on this radio. Gigaparts has the video on their page for the radio.
    73 de Mike N8FWD

It more than likey has a sd card slot. I keep diffrent files on

15. W2AH

W2AH Ham Member QRZ Page

So far, it kinda looks like the same specs as the FTM-300, with a different panel design and AESS