XENIA 2018. Better

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports' started by W8AAZ, May 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past, there was basically no other venue around Dayton like the Hara , that could fit it in. Not being a major metro area. Plus they must have gotten a good deal on it. Even if Hara remained open, it was not being maintained and becoming unusable, maybe. They did note the issues and make improvements this year. Part of it is Greene county/Xenia though, being happy to get the business into town. It is not out of line to critique the event in a reasonable fashion, as it is not just a small club setting up a small weekend fest, Hamvention is a big business. Keeps DARA membership large and the membership fees low and the club station large. Why Dayton got so big so fast, as compared to something put on in a larger population concentration like the coasts, who can say.

2. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Having read all the comments for the 2017 and 2018 hamfests at Xenia, now I want to add it to my list of events to attend. :)

K2HAT likes this.
  3. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not been to the other large fests across the country so I have no comparisons. Presumably some of them enjoy better weather if not volume of people and stuff. Whatever grumbling I do, I don't miss the Hamvention. I always plan ahead for that weekend time off. It has something going for it, as people drive or fly long distances to attend more than once.

4. K4DJM

K4DJM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Suggestion to flea market vendors:

Consider using clear plastic instead of blue tarps to cover your stuff. During light drizzles, you can keep your stuff protected while some of us choose to keep browsing and shopping.

A few vendors have started doing this (thanks!). Those that use blue-tarp are basically shutting 100% down during drizzles.

Don

K2HAT likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Xenia was the best move Hamvention could have made. All the naysayers don't have the slightest clue what it takes to pull this off. I am truly in awe and grateful for the DARA folks.

WA8FOZ, K2HAT and ND6M like this.
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good idea!

K2HAT likes this.
  7. WF2V

WF2V Ham Member QRZ Page

Rain on and off, but pleanty of people. Food was good too. I never spent anywhere close to $22 on food.

K2HAT likes this.
  8. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Darn good idea!! I wonder what they are using for clear plastic....

One thing I did see with a gent using a blue tarp, he had the tarp on the table, partially under the stuff on the table;
    and at the rear more of the tarp was hanging down, he would just flip it over the stuff on the table for the 2 minute rain shower.