ad: Radclub22-1

WW8N tower court case could set a precedent for all US amateurs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0BTU, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

How many disasters have you seen where police dispatchers are in the field? The answer in every one I've been involved with over the last 46 years is ZERO. They have their own jobs to do; there are no extra dispatchers to go into the field.

But then I know you've been involved in SO MANY disasters you know EVERYTHING. And you've got your mind made up. People shouldn't confuse you with the FACTS.

Sorry, but I get more than a little pi$$ed at people like you who think they know everything - but have not real experience in ham emergency communications. The real fact is - you know NOTHING about the real world.

2. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So much for the supposed superior ability to communicate. You actually and obviously have no idea as to what the other posters here have as an experiential base in emergencies...

My last post in this thread as it has gotten far afield from the topic at hand....

Bill N9DSJ

3. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell what experience certain people here have from their comments. Like someone who claims 30 years of experience with satellite phones - when they've only been in operation for 15 years (and not during that whole time due to the bankruptcy of Iridium). Really - there is one person here who sounds more like a salesman for satellite phones.

And I can tell how many real emergencies they've been on by the number of police dispatchers they've seen in the field. Dispatchers are not in the field. And BTW - police dispatchers are not trained to communicate - they are trained to calm sometimes hysterical people down, get information on the situation and what help is needed, make a quick decision and dispatch the appropriate resources. This is an entirely different requirement than handling traffic between agencies and trained personnel during an emergency.

I just get pi$$ed off at the wankers who are so self centered that not only do they want to help others, they do their damnedest to ruin it for those who do. Fortunately there are a lot of trained hams out here, and a lot of agencies which recognize hams and our abilities, that the other wankers don't matter much.

No, it's not arrogance. It's years of experience - both with EMCOMM and wankers. And being old enough that I don't give a damn what wankers think.

4. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the dispatchers who are not on in their respective duty locations are generally in the EOC, or they should be. If they are not, then the EOC is being ran wrong.

5. KC2UGV

You do know Iridium isn't the only company, right? Immarsat has been in operation in 1979 (35 years now).

I must inform dispatchers that they don't know how to communicate reports between two stations. I've never heard traffic being relayed between BPD and Buffalo Fire Department by their respective dispatchers. Never. Not even during a recent gas station explosion we had here.

Yep...

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

If you had read my post you would have seen my claim was for 30 years at sea.. However I believe that during all of that time (it was actually longer than 30 years)
    I had access to inmarsat. Inmarsat start3ed in 1979.. ALthough Iridium had some financial problems early on, they are doing quite well now. They have sold
    thousands of units to enlightened emergency providers worldwide, contrary to what you have repeat3edly said. There are also thousands of inmarsat units
    deployed to these same enlightened providers. Your ignorance is profound. If I were in the market for another career, selling sat phones might be a direction
    I would take. What I'm "selling" is the concept of using satellite communications instead of ignoring it or feeling threatened by it. To say that because in my
    area things are done differently (thank goodness) than in your area, that I have no experience is evidence of your arrogance. Another indicator is to say
    that hams are better at handling traffic than professionals. You are the definition of being self centered. For you to paint others with that brush is
    laughable. Your years of experience have, evidently no taught you much. by the way.. It's not "wankers" . That's another thing altogether.

Lee
    NI7I

7. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong. First of all, the EOC is not in charge of police dispatchers and do not control them; dispatchers are managed by an entirely different section of the government. Typically the only common reporting point is the county executive or assistant executive - no one lower.

Second - dispatchers main jobs are in the dispatch center. This is separate from the EOC and still has work to do. In fact, if there are extra dispatchers on duty, it is in the dispatch center. During a disaster, there is often a need for extra hands in the dispatch center to cover the additional police and EMS response needs. These are not handled from the EOC.

And when they are not on shift, dispatchers need rest; they also have their own families and friends to worry about.

EMS managers know how to man the EOC. And it is NOT with police dispatchers.

8. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and I know they use geosynchronous orbit satellites, which require a significant amount of power and clear skies to get a signal.

And once again you are twisting my words about your Buffalo FD and PD. But that's what wankers do.

9. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and Inmarsat uses geosynchronous orbit satellites, which requires clear skies and a fairly powerful transmitter to communicate. As for Iridium's problems - it has the same name, but is not the same company. The only reason the satellites are even still in use is because a private corporation was able to buy the satellites for less than 1/2 cents on the dollar (and Motorola would not be held liable for any damage caused by deorbiting satellites) Additionally, the U.S. DOD (NOT EMCOMM, as you have claimed) has leased a large number of phones, for use worldwide.

And no, it is impossible to be arrogant to a wanker. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, as has been indicated multiple times by your posts. Just because YOU are incompetent does not mean all (or even the majority) of the hams are incompetent.

Yes, you sound like a satellite phone salesman who can't make a living.

But once again I got lured into trying to teach a pig to sing.

10. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Actually, if you are referring to Iridium system, The shipboard units and the handheld units that we had on the ships I sailed had
    less than 5 watts and made successful contacts regardless of cloud cover. The Inmarsat units that I have used NEVER had a
    problem due to cloud cover or weather. What you think you know isnt consistant with facts. The EPIRB's now in use send a
    signal to the Inmarsat birds put out somewhat less than a watt and a half with what amounts to a rubber ducky antenna.
    They do quite well everywhere with exception of the southern polar region. So far you ignorance concerning Satellite communications
    is fairly vast. As an expert in the field of emergency communications, you should really broaden your information base.

Lee
    NI7I

11. KC2UGV

You have a weird EOC. Our county EOC is operated by the county executive, and we pull resources from the entire county, and don't exclude sections.

You mean additional police and EMS needs, like movement of personnel and supplies to where they are needed? Or the setup and deployment of civilian evac? Whouda thunk it?

Everyone needs rest when not on shift, which is why EOC's are ran in shifts.

Sigh.

My sat phone in Iraq worked rather well with cloudy skies... Unless by "Clear sky" you mean not having concrete between the antenna and the sky?

You said:
    And, you also said dispatchers can't do that. I however, have heard with my own ears dispatchers doing that very thing, just recently.

12. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Again, you expose your ignorance. I have already addressed the "power issue". Yes, the DOD leased a good number of the devices. How does this mean
    that emergency preparedness agencies did not? Your reasoning is as lame as your information base. Iridium's financial issues have nothing to do with
    the systems ability. What you dont understand about Sat Com would fill volumes. You are not qualified to measure my competence. I am curious, however
    In what fields am I incompetent? Would that be in message handling? I did that professionally for over 30 years. Would guess that I have handled one or
    two more than you and with a much higher rate of accuracy. Which posts have been the ones that indicated that I know nothing of what I am talking about?
    I have shown most of lyours that indicate that you know little of what you are talking about.

Lee
    NI7I

13. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Forgot a couple of things that you posted.... Again you have the wrong term... it's not wanker.. in any event you have repeatedly shown yourself
    to be one arrogant fellow. I'm not the only person to make this observation.

I am retired and dont need to "make A living selling anything. But even if I were and failed to do so selling telephones, it doesnt make your position
    any less laughable.

I doubt there is anything of value you could teach anybody. Your ignorance and arrogance make teaching a poor choice for you.

NI7I

14. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a thread about the WW8N tower somewhere?

15. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Yes, there is.

NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.