ad: Retevis-1

WILLIAM M. PASTERNAK WA6ITF (SK) 1942-2015 - Amateur Radio Newsline

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4EG

W4EG Ham Member QRZ Page

With deep regrets and sympathy for the family and friends.

Your friend and old buddy from the 1960's novice days in New York.

Looking forward to see you again in the new system of things.

2. VK4COG

VK4COG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of this great loss RIP Bill!

3. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP OM :(

It's a sad day.

4. K5ATG

K5ATG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad he went peacefully, he was such a great man. Now he is in the great ham shack beyond and he will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
    Thank you Bill, for all that you have done.

5. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

He was incredibly dedicated to amateur radio ...

He will be missed ....

6. VA1AV

VA1AV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We'll light a candle in his honour tonight. May his guiding spirit live on in us all for ever. May peace be with him, and his loving family. In our thoughts this day.
    Pete Darg
    On the farm, Norfolk, Ontario Canada. 73 OM

7. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Prayers for his family...

8. WI8X

WI8X Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the great ham pioneers has left us.
    I always enjoyed reading about anything he was up to.
    Gave me ideas about projects I was working on.
    He's already missed.

73, Bill and thank you.

Chris

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am deeply saddened this loss occurred to the Amateur Radio community.

Bill will be honored and always remembered.

73 WA6ITF/SK DE KC8VWM

10. AC2NZ

AC2NZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill Pasternak

Damn! Another one bites the dust...

11. W2HL

W2HL Ham Member QRZ Page

Rip bill.
    I knew bill Pasternak before news line when he lived in Bensonhurst brooklyn. I was a friend of his then and he was a great and giving guy. I remember when we use to have encounter groups in his home in Brooklyn. We went way back.
    My deepest condolences to Sharon and his family.
    Howard Levine. W2HL

12. N7DKZ

N7DKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

rip bill, that's to bad:(

13. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RIP Bill , Peace to your family...

14. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I met Bill in the late 70's at the FM forum at an ARRL convention in San Diego. He thought enough of this whippersnapper's plan for better frequency coordination to write it up in his 73 Magazine column, Looking West. We kept in touch on and off, mostly seeing each other at Dayton, over the decades. He encouraged me to start ARVN (the DVD production service that became HamRadioNow), and I'll never forgive him for it.

Bill and I started the Friday BS series on HamRadioNow with Episode 152, exactly one year ago tomorrow, and a month later, did another one along with Ward Silver N0AX in Episode 160. Alas, that was the last one we recorded together. We planned more, even in a (private) Skype conversation from his hospital bed around Christmas last year. I dialed him up on April 22, and we were going to record BS #3, Episode 200, but he had spent the day with a lot of pain, and wasn't up to it. That's the last time we talked. He was back in the hospital a short time later.

In addition to the two BS sessions, Bill produced an interview with his close friend Steve Mendelsohn W2ML, shortly before Steve became a Silent Key. I ran that as a Special Edition. That program explored the life of one of our era's more prominent hams.

I regret that I didn't take the time to do the same kind of interview with Bill. Every time we talked (mostly he talked, and I listened), I learned another piece of ham radio history that Bill had lived personally. I think he knew everyone, and everyone knew him.

Here's that first Bull Session. Here and there it has a bit of Bill's history:

[video=youtube;QrChaf91HIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrChaf91HIk[/video]​

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  15. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Peace and prayers for Bill's Family