ad: Alphaant-1

Why social media is important to amateur radio growth

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still waiting for "social media" to become sociable.

N6VL, KF4ZKU, KC2YMO and 4 others like this.
  2. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

But the point of this post is to introduce and bring people into AR, not introduce operators to SM. The way to get things to the young people quickly and efficiently is through SM. Y'all can not like it all you want, won't make a difference to those that utilize it. If an organization is looking to engage younger people though, SM cannot be overlooked.

g

MW1CFN and VE1HFM like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 1st social media was Ham radio.

KF4ZKU, KK5JY and WQ4G like this.
  5. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

The kids/younger generation that utilizes SM for just that, not 2 way communication as we know it. They aren't going to buy expensive radios nor go thru the trouble of erecting antennas when they have all the communications in their pocket, the majority think that way or at least the ones I have been around. The vast majority of kids/younger adults aren't/wont be interested in Amateur radio but more for the gaming and the instant communication that Smart phones and social media provide thru super fast networks. Enter 5G and Amateur radio is extremely moot to the younger generation.
    And I completely understand the point. As of late I have been actually hearing alot of younger operators more so then I had when first Licensed in the 90's.

On a side note, I had done a demo for my nephews high school science class this year and the funny thing is the majority thought near the same, why go thru all the trouble when smartphones have everything they need to communicate.

KF4ZKU, AA4MB and AK5B like this.
  6. K6VOX

Lunch time...20 meters and hey K8A Youth On the Air station operating. Operator is 26 years old...

JEAMSCAAN likes this.
  7. K6VOX

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

This forum is Social Media.

K3YR, KF4ZKU, KE8AQW and 2 others like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

What facebook can do and it does this very well, is put your product in front of vast amounts of people. Used as a tool within a complete marketing plan can be very beneficial. Within a previous hobby, i played a big roll in using social media as an outreach tool to potential participants of the hobby and we saw a 50% growth of participants over a 12 month period. It was a lot of work though and when i stopped doing it, growth stopped as no one stepped up to fill the gap.

This will work on many scales, from the local club to nationally, but for the local club, its about targeting specific local groups on facebook and just putting it out there. If ones club had a mens shed focus, or emcoms or whatever, put on open days and promote them in suitable facebook groups and over time you will pick up members just from having an online presence.

Its not about having great debates online, or even discussions because that is nothing but a load of hot air that creates division, it is though all about putting your product in front of as many eyes as possible so people know you are there, are active and open to new people. And in that regard, facebook is a huge benefit.

K2NCC likes this.
  10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, just let them sit there with their head down. And at the end, when they get an F, having wasted their money, maybe they'll get it, maybe not.

K2NED, AK5B, N0CN and 2 others like this.
  11. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Was asked for my phone number today for a vet visit. Had to think for a second what the home digits are.
    Of which the young lady said "You still have a land-line?!"
    Heck yeah! It's even copper wire all the way to the service. I prefer my phones to work even if the mains power is out for days. No VOIP for me, thank you.

We probably don't NEED much of our technology. But it sure is fun and often makes life easier.
    But I'll likely need my cell-phone more than I'll ever need a ham's radio. :)

As far as social media, it gives me opportunities I wouldn't otherwise have.
    (At least not as quickly and easily.)

Capture.JPG

WQ4G and VK4HAT like this.
  12. K2NCC

And yet, here you are, using it. :)

KF4ZKU and VK4HAT like this.
  13. K2NCC

That would require a substantial evolution of mankind.

G3SEA and VK4HAT like this.
  14. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Why social media is important to amateur radio growth
    Perhaps because it is the death knell for amateur radio?

AK5B likes this.
  15. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

As much as I hate social media, we Facebook and Twitter, I have to admit the advertising value they hold for promoting our hobby. And to the comments about professors reaching students through SM, at least in Kentucky schools have been utilizing computers and social media in the classroom starting in kindergarten for over a decade now. There's no way to get around it.

to add fuel to the "technology" debate, what about you guys with the SDR rigs and the Icon 7300s and the like? That's getting pretty far away from real ham radio isn't it?
    Larry KG4ZAR

KF4ZKU likes this.