ad: CQMM-1

Why not do APCO-25?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7TKO, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE7TKO

VE7TKO Ham Member QRZ Page

<span style='color:red'>D-STAR is not a module. D-STAR is an open protocol</span> – although it is published by JARL, it is available to be implemented by anyone. You can learn all that you need to know by reading (Quote) “D-STAR for the Second Century of Amateur Radio” at: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/dstar/. Both ICOM and Kenwood have agreed to support the protocol. I suspect that other major name brands will soon be supporting the protocol since it was designed by hams, for hams. Plans are already underway to have a D-STAR system on the International Space Station in the next few years.

ICOM’s UT-118 module will not work on radios that were not designed to use it. Many of the setup functions need a display that is capable of displaying these features. The ID-800H was designed with D-DTAR as part of the total circuit design. I suspect that this will be the approach used on all high-end radios in the future. By doing so, the total cost of implementation will be reduced by spreading the cost over a larger number of purchasers.

The D-STAR format requires a special repeater controller. (Quote) Repeaters linked with D-STAR can also share information using the same D-STAR link. This information includes repeater operating information and statistics. System designers can add entirely new functions, sharing weather and control information, for example. Another possibility is “smart systems” that track interference or user location.

There is a repeater in Portland, Oregon that is already repeating the basic D-STAR format. I have no personal knowledge of this system. An analogue radio listening to D-STAR signal will hear only what appears to be “white noise”. It does not sound like packet radio over a regular FM carrier.

The success of D-STAR will be reflected in the number of units sold. Not unlike all other new ham radio advancements, there will always be resistance to new innovation. Too many hams have found their niche and are content to stay there. That is not really a problem as long as they don’t try to hold others back.

It seems to me that the ham radio community has already spoken in support of D-STAR. This can be seen at the “D-STAR Last Heard Report” found at: http://www.d-starusers.org/dstar.php/. This list will increase in size, as new D-STAR repeaters are added over the next few years.

2. N3JFW

N3JFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure do. I sold a used fostec for 1800 bucks a year ago.

The guy I sold it to, resold it last month for 1950

What's your point?

FWIW-As much as I wish ham manufacturers had gone with imbe, I am still happy to see icom do something. When they come out with a dual band dual receive unit, that does xband-I will get one.

3. KJ7YL

KJ7YL Ham Member QRZ Page

wrong again the IC-2200 uses the UT108 digital module for this VHF 2 meter radio to be able to run a digital modes.

http://www.icomamerica.com/brochures/ic-2200h.pdf

"The success of D-STAR will be reflected in the number of units sold. Not unlike all other new ham radio advancements, there will always be resistance to new innovation. Too many hams have found their niche and are content to stay there. That is not really a problem as long as they don’t try to hold others back."

I agree the sales will be the key. As for as "they" holding anyone back. The prices and the expense will be the only things holding hams back buying new equiemnt. The majority of hams do not have alot of funds for exspensive equipment. More and more used equipment pops up as number of silent keys pop up. Along the same lines smaller numbers of people getting involved with the hobbie.

Ham Radio is dying and will not be the same as it was ten years ago.

The technology ICOM sells works. If the protocal is not open for all radio manufactures than it is not a good thing in my opinion. Most Hams are not going to support a Digital mode that can only be purchased from one or two companies.

The Japan and the US radio are completely diffrent markets. They also have diffrent approaches.

I have also heard alot of Hams complaining the other direction. The main grip is that the equipment is to expensive.

More and more hams are using cell phone a getting commercial WI-FI for net access.

So we will see how well things get off the ground.

Not every repeater group will want to afford the change with the numbers in hams in ham radio going down every year.

4. VE7TKO

I am not sure what you mean by “wrong again”. Be patient with me and I will try to clear this subject up. I have 3 D-STAR radios, and speak from personal experience.

The first Digital capable radio that ICOM built for 2-meters was the IC-2200H. It was released long before the D-STAR part of the circuit was ready. You quote the UT-108 as being a D-STAR module. It is not. The UT-108 is a DTMF decoder unit for code squelch and pager operation. The first digital board recommended for the IC-2200H was a UT-115. Although this board was digital, it was not D-STAR compatible and could not connect to a D-STAR radio like the IC-V82 with the IC-118 digital board. That UT-115 add-on circuit board did not follow the D-STAR protocol.

The UT-118 digital circuit board was originally designed for the IC-V/U82 radios to give them D-STAR digital capabilities. On an incoming call, the IC-V82 scrolls the callsign attached to the digital signal, across its screen. The same thing is true of the ID-800H D-STAR compliant radio. This is not the case for the IC-2200H. Although the IC-2200H will communicate well with other D-STAR radios, it will not display the callsign attached to the incoming signal. I suspect that the feature was not designed into the display of the radio, or the UT-118 board is not 100% compatible with that radio. Just remember, the IC-2200H came out long before the UT-118 was ever designed. Some difficulties are to be expected. This issue is a very minor one.

If by “wrong again” you are referring to my statement that <span style='color:red'>“D-STAR is not a module.</span> D-STAR is an open protocol – although it is published by JARL, it is available to be implemented by anyone”. It is a open protocol. I stand by this, because the bold black text is a direct quote from the literature to which I gave you directions. Think of the UT-118 boards as the completion of a circuit for which the radio was designed. An IC-V8000 has a socket identical to the one used by the IC-2200H radios. There is no way that plugging a UT-118 board into that socket, will make it a D-STAR radio although both can use the UT-108 pager board in that socket.

Hams that gripe about the cost of new equipment will always do so. Nobody is obligated to buy new equipment. At the present time, there is very little used D-STAR equipment available. They will have to wait a few years and become followers as used equipment becomes available. A member of our club has already approached me. He said that he would like to buy the UT-118 board from me when I get rid of the IC-2200H.

Buying new equipment is a mater of priority or personal desire. I drive an older car and prefer new technology for my ham radio equipment. Others drive state of the art cars and prefer to buy used ham gear. One thing I can guarantee. My preference is cheaper and will cost me less in depreciation.
    [​IMG]

5. KJ7YL

KJ7YL Ham Member QRZ Page

You have the right to your opinion. The truth is the V82/U82 radios do require the DSTAR accessory Optional digital unit, UT-118 to be installed in the radio to be able to do Digital.

6. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not this again.

7. N3JFW

N3JFW Ham Member QRZ Page

yes

like some of the older v/u rigs required a board for ctcss

Not a bad way to do it.

Make a dual band rig (or monoband)

People can upgrade to digital if they want to.

8. VE7TKO

Just like the older VHF/UHF rigs, required a board for ctcss, some radios could have a board added on for D-STAR. The problem is, unlike ctcss on FM, the radio display and circuitry has to be designed for the D-STAR protocol. <span style='color:red'>D-STAR is a pure digital signal and not digital on top of a FM signal.</span> For this very reason, you cannot hear a digital signal over a FM only radio. A D-STAR board could never be added to a non D-STAR compliant radio.

Today it is impossible to purchase a ham VHF/UHF radio without ctcss. It will be the same in the future for D-STAR.

Take a look at the ICOM IC-91AD dual band radio.

D-STAR DV mode available (Digital Voice + data)
    The IC-91AD* provides DV mode operation with an AMBE codec. 950 bps data can be sent simultaneously with the digital voice transmission. When you receive an FM mode (or other mode) signal while operating in DV mode, the automatic DV detection function changes the operating mode to the one detected.
    * Optional UT-121 is required for use with IC-91A.

DX communication over the D-STAR system
    The D-STAR repeaters for 144, 440MHz are now available. It allows cross band (144/440/1200MHz) operation and long distance communication over the D-STAR system.

These are just two of the digital features available. Why would anybody want to purchase that radio without digital?

9. VE7TKO

Today there are more than 65 new D-STAR repeaters in North America. The D-STAR radios are selling as fast as they can build them. England, Germany and Italy already have D-STAR repeaters. This thing is growing faster than what ICOM could have ever envisioned.

Why?

Because it was designed by Hams, for Hams. D-STAR is here to stay, weather you like it or hate it. You can join in the fun now, or you can play follow the leader later. In 10 years, all these arguments will seem ridiculous. Everyone will still be doing their own thing, but D-STAR will be found on many brands of dual mode radios.

Enjoy!

10. N2JAI

N2JAI Ham Member QRZ Page

How do we know when someone is using there D-STAR internet connection for business or pecuniary interest ?
    Seems to be wide open for tremendous abuse - great technology though, Software to decode traffic both dd and dv should be made widely available for self policing by hams. !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.