ad: Alphaant-1

Which is best, FT8 or CW?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jan 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is to dog
    as

FT8 is to cat.

W4AUT likes this.
  2. W2BTK

W2BTK Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

W4AUT likes this.
  3. W8UA

W8UA Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 is completely okay. When you work VK from the US, that shows that you can click a mouse button.

KA2FIR and W4AUT like this.
  4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Also shows your radio and antenna system are working. You may click Like now. :)

K4EIA and KR3DX like this.
  5. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Best for what? I have FT 8 and I made a few QSO's before I got bored watching computers talk to each other. Back when PSK was still new, there was a crowd of people who seemed to be in a perpetual contest, giving you "QSO # x" on whatever band. They were macro jockeys and never had time to actually say anything but 73. Seems like all those folks went to FT 8. So FT 8 is best for the "59 and 73" group. And you always hear people bad mouthing contesters for that. I like CW contesting because there is some skill involved. SSB contesting is actually harder but I hate screaming in a mic for two days. So, again best for what? Is FT8 any use in an emergency? At least PSK can get the job done, and CW has been getting the job done since Art Collins talked to the Bowdoin arctic expedition in 1925. Maybe FT8 is like playing solitaire when you're bored. I don't know. I have it all set up on my computer and Icom 7300. Works just fine. Just doesn't interest me as much as CW. I still get on PSK hoping for an actual conversation. Every now and then I get one.
    AF4RK
    American Freedom 4 Radio Kilowatts

KA2FIR, W4AUT and N3UIQ like this.
  6. W0WTM

W0WTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhh So when you work VK on SSB does that show you can just run yer mouth? Or are you you a CW guy who knows how to tap his finger?

Come On Guys stop the arguing and just enjoy the hobby.

W8UA, K8XG, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks are concentrating TOO Much on FT8 since it is in the majority of paper chasers right now and optimised for quick QSOs for contesting and awards. JS8Call which I mentioned in an earlier post HAS Been used in an Emergency and saved folks getting a message to the Cajun Navy during the floods of past year or one before that. Need to re-lookup the post on that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun_Navy

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  8. N3UIQ

N3UIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My cat can click a mouse button but I've spent the last two years learning how to "tap my finger" and still working on it.

W4AUT likes this.
  9. K7LRC

K7LRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent point. Non-code HAMs are not lesser human beings. Don't be scared by technology and enjoy whatever part of this hobby makes you happy!

10. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I have heard something about a new mode called FT 8, must been some kind of experiment, don't hear anything about it lately.

W4AUT likes this.
  11. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last year I posted a questioned about which had the better ability decode (In Level /sensitivity), was it CW, FT8 or JS8CALL (JS8CALL This is the same as FT8 just with messaging capabilities).

I received a ton of math, and theories...

If you go by with VOACAP (Voice of America Coverage Analysis Program) the answer is FT8 (And JS8CALL / Messaging), which indicates it requires less power to close the link. On Side note FT4 is basically the same as CW.

And if you like a QSO with FT8 sensitivity, well, JS8CALL is your answer.

I am fan of CW... Practicing every day, (I passed the 20WPM back in 1980!) But technology moves on!

CU on the bands...

NN2X / Tom

N4FZ likes this.
  12. W4AUT

W4AUT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back to the Fridge for another "COLD" Beer!!!!!

K8PG and N4FZ like this.
  13. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

The hobby also includes the imperative to provide service to the community. FT8 is not a useful mode beyond just providing entertainment for those who enjoy that sort of thing. If there was an emergency, how much traffic could you pass with FT8? Hmm? 59 and 73 is not too useful. Both SSB and CW can be useful in an emergency. PSK is preferred (NBEMS Narrow Band Emergency Messaging Software) I have participated in ARES events. FT8 would be nearly useless in an emergency. CW has always been useful. In recent years I have participated in NBEMS tests on 2 meters. I don't see any practical use for FT8 because it is so slow and passes so little actual information. It's interesting as a hobby but the transfer rate would have to increase at least by a factor of 10 to be a useful communications mode.
    af4rk

WA7AXT and KA2FIR like this.
  14. W2STF

W2STF Ham Member QRZ Page

ALF says whats good works.

w2stf

15. K7LRC

K7LRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good thing we have all those other modes, so FT8 doesn't ruin the day! K7LRC