ad: wmr-1

What to Do BEFORE Moving to an HOA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Jun 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

N0TZU and US7IGN like this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the clarification, Dennis. The fact is that communication with literate and cultured people here greatly increases my knowledge, and not only technical. In fact, I don't know many things that are obvious to you, but that make it difficult me to understand some places of films and songs for example.

This is a very cool site)

N0TZU likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is excellent.

But, can you park a boat or large RV in your driveway? Can visitors park overnight on the street for a few weeks? Usually, there's "other stuff" in covenants or by-laws that are disagreeable to me, but may not be to lots of others.

I live "near" (but not in!) a community called Hidden Hills, which is one big HOA. Every single resident is an HOA member, like it or not. But their by-laws specifically allow amateur radio antennas (see attached) once approved by the architectural committee and I've never heard of them denying anyone a ham antenna (or even tower). I'd actually love to live there, but it's amazingly expensive with average home price in the $4 million range, and many in the $20 million+ range. So, I don't.:p But it's in L.A. and only about 7 miles from me (to the eastern "gate").

I like the way 2(b) is worded on page V-12-6, stipulating that although a permit and plan review is required, they must be conducted "so as to accommodate the paramount federal interest in promoting amateur radio communications..." This was worded like a ham who was also an attorney wrote it. I don't believe they've ever denied an "antenna installation permit" to any ham there.:) They also allow horses, boats and all sorts of things.

Pays to have a lot of money.:p

Attached Files:

4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Medicine and medical practice is an art and not an exact science. Nothing in life is permanent and death is a reality of life.

5. W2AI

There are other reasons for people moving to rural, secluded areas beside 'ham radio'. Privacy is a major concern with many in which residing in a HOA is virtually non-existent with "busybodies" in abundance.

Not really, Chris! These posters are merely stating their opinion that HOA developments are not for them and could care less what HOW other hams do amateur radio.
    TV antennas on top of towers were quite common in this rural environment 40 years ago prior to cable TV. It was the only way to receive broadcast television from NYC 75 miles south of here. You seemed concerned with what others might think about your actions but remember these people don't pay your bills nor put food on the table. So their opinion is worthless to me. Perception of objects is a mystery of the human mind based upon subjectivity. Life in a HOA development isn't for everyone with 'busybodies' and numerous restrictions of what you can NOT do on property you own.

6. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is interesting to observe how people are always ready to trample someone who does not do like everyone else, but as soon as the majority begins to do the same, it becomes normal and no one objects ...

KR3DX, W2AAT, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  7. W2AI

$$$$$$$ talks and BS walks.

8. W2AI

Driving around town; I still see quite a few rusted out Television antennas and towers attached to houses still in existence. A blast from the past in things that was once were. Cable TV didn't come about in this area until the early 1990s.

9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was referring to the ones that are saying you should just sell your radios if you have to live in an HOA.
    Point is, they're not avoidable if you have to live in specific regions or work in certain industries (which ties you to regions, WFH restrictions, and even commute distance restrictions). Yes, you could move far enough away get away from the HOAs, but then you run into quality of life issues resulting from spending upwards of a 1/3 of your day commuting. There are few binary answers and we're better off coming up with solutions to the problem that don't start and stop with mere avoidance.

When I bought my house 20 years ago (prior to becoming a ham), there were no non-hoa neighborhoods for twice my budget, forget about within my budget, unless I wanted a 2hr commute (this in 2001, that commute would now be 3hr+). Towns that had a selection of semi-affordable homes without HOAs are now lousy with HOAs, pushing that boundary further out in addition to 20 years of traffic increases further complicating the commute issue.

What I learned then and since is not all HOAs are the same. Some are more permissive than others. Mine allows antennas as long as they can't be seen from the street. A buddy lives in a different one that has no issues with the vertical in his side yard or the VHF antennas on his roof (both clearly visible from the street). If you must live in an HOA, do your homework and understand what is possible within the rules. If nothing is possible, then look into hidden or discrete antennas or adopt a portable mindset. Saying "sell your equipment and take up stamp collecting" is not only unproductive, it perpetuates an ugly stereotype of hams who must have things their way or not at all.

Chris

US7IGN, N0TZU and W2AI like this.
  10. W2AI

I studied Psychology and sociology in college. A good portion of the general population seems to have that attitude, "It's my way or the highway" which affects all areas of life. I'm sure you have witnessed this at work and in your relations with other people including relatives. It's a common trait that most certainly bring forth conflict and distress to some individuals. Read the financial column, "MarketWatch" on MSN.com and you'll see how relatives argue over money matters and estates-- writing in to "MarketWatch" for advice to solve their dilemma with unreasonable and often greedy relatives. The two authors of "MarketWatch" generally reply to the letter writers with good, solid advice on how to resolve their monetary issues.

N0TZU likes this.
  11. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I suspect that Sociology 101 and Psychology 102 may be seen as credentials in some "Groups"...Get it? Group theory......but, seriously now. I've not read nor seen in the journals anything about the "My way or the highway" theory. Was this proposed by Merton, From or perhaps Parsons.... Inquiring minds want to know :cool:

W2AI likes this.
  12. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it was Clem Kadiddlehopper that first pointed the way to the HOA highway, followed by Socrates.

W2AI likes this.
  13. W2AI

Me too!;)

14. W2AI

15. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the issue in places I've lived, also.

"Non-HOA" homes are often quite a bit more expensive, and those starting out simply can't afford them unless they're waaaay out of town and fairly inconvenient places to live which may not offer the "services" that living "in town" afford.

Where I am today, non-HOA homes are older (pre-1980s) but very nice (and still more expensive than "brand new" HOA homes that have similar attributes) or "custom built" homes where the buyer hires an architect, buys the land, and starts from scratch. The latter deal is fantastic if you have a lot of time (it can take 2 years) or a whole lot of money, and maybe both.

Probably both, since land here costs over $1 million an acre if you get a deal, and that's just vacant land; and you have to pay for that before building anything on it. But "nobody's making any more land," so it is what it is.

"America...what a place!"
    -Yakov Smirnoff