ad: chuckmartin

What It's Going to take...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KY5U, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said--- the cry baby rhetoric rolls on like a big muddy river..... I will LOVE it when the no code movement morphs into the no test or further dumbdown movement...like it has with each previous dumb down...this is continuing to become a most unimpressive hobby driven by the industry...and a few thousand slackers...

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough, there are crybabies on both sides. One difference, as W5MJL said, the no-code crybabies went quiet. Will the pro-code crybabies quiet themselves any time soon?

3. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

do you seriously think the no code cry babies wnt quiet? Yikes-- they are still as out here as ever-----

4. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the no coders have been crying for 14 years. I think we are entitled to a few months of the same.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Come here boys and let me gently wipe away your tears!
    73s de Samantha 2e1dau xx

6. N0DOZ

N0DOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

W2CO: >N0DOA wrote:
    "We're all a little punchy after 1000's of posts on this stuff. Just poking fun at you folks that take this so seriously (and at some that have a hard time remembering calls, even when it's written in front of them......) "<

Still having trouble with copying calls, I see. I'll bet that's so much easier to do on CW.

>The FCC is not going to do anything with the band allocations at this NPRM, or anytime in the near future. The ONLY thing they may and I say MAY do is give you no coders the top 25 or 50khz on 80,40,15, and 10Meter bands. I highly doubt you will be allowed on 20Meters at all and I highly doubt you will be allowed anywhere near the CW portions of any band.<

Gee, making up rules just like making up calls. Hmm.....

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like this one is coming to an end. Folks are winding down. This subject will fall off the front page soon. Did we learn anything?

8. N0DOZ

Yup...there are LIDs in all license classes.

9. N0DOZ

...That was mean. I'm sorry. Sort of.
    On the bad side:
    I learned that a lot of hams are lacking a sense of humor.
    I learned that my failure to grasp the gravity of the code-nocode debate really seems to p*ss people off.
    I learned that I'm really a lazy person because I have so many excuses for not upgrading before it's too late and people like 'CO won't ever like me.
    I learned a few other things, too, but I'd get banned from QRZ if I shared them.

But on the good side:
    I learned a bunch from K1MVP. Thanks, Rene. You're a credit to the hobby.

10. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

You are so right, Charlie.

"The air is out of the ballon, as we say in DL"

"The body is still kicking a bit, but the brain is already dead"

OOPS, did I write this? Must have, because it is still there.

Anyway, going through the last posts, after I came home late from work, gave me this impression. So I guess, only someone new can light the fire again.

Behold, I have talked to my 1 mile away neighbor, who is an Extra Lite. He said he was going to come here and ask some OTs where they get the moxy to call him names like Lite, when he is trying to get down from 290 pounds.
    I told him it was not about physical weight, rather than the esoteric weight of an Extra VE tested with 5 WPM compared to an OT Extra FCC tested 25WPM brass pounder.

His very brave answer was:
    "Just let me meet one of these HAMsters on the band, I'll give them 30 from my pc with lotsa eeeees first and on their return I'll get back with 10-12 per hand, lets see who is in the light then"

And I know for sure, he'll do just that!

And he alwys says "g-night, y'all" Then we know it's time to flip the switch.
    As I do now.
    It's been an experience to meet y'all on the net. Now, if I would be allowed to work y'all on twenty, that would enhance my chance to finally work WV and DE on 20 for the 10/15/20 WAS. On 40 I am only starting the collection, as it is so hard to get into the OT nets. They talk so fast that I have a hard time getting it. Must be derived from their morse-speed....ooops, I did another one.

Always yours on the airwaves
    Hans, k6faf, the optimistic preacher from the high desert
    PS: If you look me up here under my callsign, you might find out what it is about me.... ROFL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

.........: Please don't forget,
    tomorrow is another day.
    And the sun will still shine....!
    And I will be on 20 calling for WV and DE.
    To finish another step towards the 5BWAS on SSB, not too many have that. Because of the prerogative, sorry , propagation on 40 and 80.

12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

My not so politically correct response to what was learned:

For pro-coders and those generally upset at the dumbing down of AR, the future will be about survival. These folks are trying to come to terms with being in the minority soon. Many people profess wanting better tests, but when you read some of the comments on QRZ where people are defending their perceived right to be dumb like it was a badge of courage, you know that we could be in trouble.

Yes, the pro code group needs to move on, but the problem goes deeper. When I see people defending mediocrity, defending lazyness, and flying the stupid flag like it is a banner of accomplishment, I too am woried. My personal plan is still to express my concerns on QRZ but avoid the subject on the air. I plan to treat everyone as I always have on the air. Like a fellow Amateur.

Let me say one more thing. The "....this debate is killing amateur radio" stuff is no defense. I can name you a dozen amateurs now who think a patient with this much cancer should have life support removed immediately. I am surely not of that opinion. But be aware that the future may lie in what everyone can do on the air to get along.

13. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You must be joking. That's one of the most moronic rants I've read in a while.

14. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread is too long to read for anyone with a vague semblance of a life.

A few comments are in order though. Ham radio will go on. The 'sky is falling' crowd will be proved wrong by events. I know this because code testing is already a memory in 26 countries and counting, without any adverse effects that anyone has been able to observe. Oddly enough, we can hear HF no-coders here quite often. HF is like that, you know. Bounces of the ionosphere etc. Although those who never QSY off the cross-town net wouldn't know that.

I never operate CW, in fact have never operated CW, despite having passed 20wpm, and there are thousands who do less than 1% CW. Killing off the code test will bring in people who aren't notably different, so nothing much will change. Except perhaps there will be at least a one-off influx of new HF users. I don't see that as a bad thing.

There won't be hordes of CBers. Most of them couldn't pass the theory, and many of those who could aren't interested. As for those who do come over to our frequencies, those will just be the more discerning ones, and they are more than welcome.

And yes, the telegraphy subbands will get smaller with the increase in phone ops. Maybe not tommorrow, maybe not the next day, but sooner or later. Since the US has far more telegraphy only space than in the IARU region 2 bandplan, and even that allows more than enough space for present levels of activity, what's the problem?

OTOH, there is already anecdotal evidence that PSK31 is popular amongst existing HF no-coders. I operate 100% phone myself, but then I've been around a while (QRV since 1980, just not all in this country). I just point that out to show that not all the new guys will want smaller telegraphy allocations. No, PSK31 is not your father's telegraphy, but it is telegraphy.

15. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

To n3kip:
    Thanks for your comments. On most of it Icould not agree more.
    Especially that one on kh2d's article from the net. It simply contradicts itself by trying to make one aspect (ragchewing) of Hamradio more important than another (DXing/Paperchasing). not even to speak about the other rants, it really is moronic, LOL.
    And his mentioning of the VE thing, I think is the top of it, if he wants to accuse, he better have some proof. This is so non-ham that it is not even funny. [​IMG]

Anyway, I got to get on 20 as promised. Maybe somebody will answer and realize that DXers/Paperchaser are not so brain-dead at all.

Y'all have a nice day.

73 de Hans, k6faf, the "preacher" from the desert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.