ad: Alphaant-1

Well-known DXpeditioner Baldur Drobnica DJ6SI arrested in Greece for "espionage"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by YO4PX, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not just non-US authorities that frequently fall into idiocy brought on by ignorance and suspicion.

Some years ago, I had a client of foreign heritage who owned a home in a very upscale part of the community. Workmen were hired to work on the roof. Sometime later he received a call from the FBI wanting to stop in for a chat. In his country, contact with the police is NEVER good news and it scared him silly. I arranged and attended the meeting with the agents who it turned out wanted to search his attic. It seems the workmen had reported some strange antennas in the attic of this home.

Nothing would do but to take them over to the house and watch the agents, in their suits, climb up over the refrigerator into the rather small opening in the ceiling to the attic. What they found was a Radio Shack VHF yagi and a UHF yagi, rather exactly what I had predicted. The house was on a hill overlooking the ocean and, back when this house was built before cable, residents frequently used such antenna to pick up LA TV stations.

The house had been formerly owned by a Navy Admiral, first retired and now deceased. The FBI's worry was that perhaps this Admiral had been clandestinely talking to the Ruskies or something, and now the property was owned by this.... this... foreigner! Too suspicious to ignore!

It is an unfortunate coincidence that the very activites that make this pastime so much fun are also used for what others may well regard as sinister purposes, and nobody but us, and the spies, can tell the difference, and to tell the truth, it would neither surprise nor shock me to learn that some of these hams ARE spies. Well, it would shock me to learn about it, as that's probably not something the spy masters regard as a fit subject for disclosure.

2. YO4PX

YO4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the typo. I meant to write of course "visualisation".
    YO4PX
    http://yo4px.blogspot.com

3. DK5KF

DK5KF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Court Decision DJ6SI in Greece for SV5/DJ6SI reported by SV5BYR on
    www.watchtv.de

73 de dk5kf

4. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets Consider the Island of Kos, and it's law enforcement.

You are walking patrol, and someone comes up and tells you that, that man is doing something!

This has been the Arab Spring, Egypt, Libya, and Syria.
    You do not know if your next pay check will clear at the bank.
    There is rioting in the streets, your pension has been declared void.

So here is a German with some kind of gear attached to a laptop making strange noises, is he an outsider here to incite riots? He hands you papers you can not read. He claims that he has a right to do this. Is he sending info to other outsiders?

Please do not think that I am defending the police, however, when in a different country, their customs rule.

5. GW0HUS

GW0HUS Ham Member QRZ Page

JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE US DOLLARS, THAT SEEMS TO BE THE BEST CURRENCY
    (just seen an advert for an ft817 from greece advertised in us dollars...?? makes you wonder about the Euro ..

6. VR2BG

VR2BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not too long after I left W7-land, the police of a state adjacent to the one I was living in decided that because a car of the same make, model & color as mine had been involved in some crime, it was me who had done it.

Despite my previously having left the country & the car having not moved from where I left it.

This sort of stupid sh*te happens everywhere. Civil servants tend not to be the sharpest tools in the shed & there's a certain type of person who seems to be attracted to employment in the disciplined services. I can't think of a country I've been to where it didn't seem to be any different - it's just a matter of degree.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.

7. 9A7PJT

9A7PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N1UAD

N1UAD Ham Member QRZ Page

9. DK5KF

10. DK5KF

11. DK5KF

Thread Status: