ad: QSLWorks-1

Weather & Sunspot Cycle 24. Heralding a New Maunder Minimum & Ice-Age?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by GM4BRB, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA0LYK

WA0LYK Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to check some of your facts. These are complicated issues and the solutions are complicated. I read the other day that the total carbon footprint of a Prius and a Hummer are about the same over a lifetime of a 100,000 miles I believe it was. By the time you add in all the carbon costs of mining, smelting, disposal, and recycling for at least two sets of batteries for a Prius, you have a pretty big carbon footprint!

Only folks that want to "feel good" just look at their own little operating costs of a vehicle to decide when a given product has a small carbon footprint!

I have also seen predictions that moving to wind power to replace all other electrical generation WILL cause climate change due to disturbing the surface effects of moving wind on evaporation and rainfall.

I'm sure it will be amusing to some to see our deserts get cold because they have been covered with solar cells, rainfall amounts diminish because of wind turbines, and god only knows what other effects from the shoot from the hip environmentalists.

To be brutal about it, I don't know why the environmentalists don't support global warming. It's one of the best ways I can see to let the planet control the global population growth that is the real problem.

Jim
    WA0LYK

2. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

The scientist upon whose model Al Gore based his claim of modern and man-made global warming has stated that his model is invalid, assertions of man-made global warming are not scientifically supportable, and Al Gore knows that but refuses to accept the facts.

So, was he not a "legitimate" scientist when he helped Al Gore and others to get rich quick from his global warming sci-fi flick or is he not a "legitimate" scientist now that he disagrees with Al Gore?

Can anyone cite Al Gore's credentials as a scientist? I thought not.

I seem to recall a recent letter signed by several thousand scientists, many with PhD's and many equal in stature to those cited by Al Gore, declaring the assertions of man-made global warming scientifically incorrect. It is interesting that the liberal media buried that story.

Many of the stories about "melting ice caps" etc. have been demonstrated to be false, others shown to be the commonplace result of cyclical changes in ocean currents. There is genuine factual and scientific evidence to show that the hysterical claims of Al Gore and his followers are nonsense - there certainly are no factual grounds upon to base any claim that the scientific community is anywhere near "consensus" in support of Al Gore - indeed the only thing sure to be heating up is the scientific challenge to Al Gore's claims!

3. W9PDS

W9PDS Ham Member QRZ Page

KD4E,

What is it with you & Al Gore?

Take a look at this, it was written THIS YEAR by....

THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION!!!

http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/scientific-assessment/Scientific-AssessmentFINAL.pdf

I will paraphrase it for you, since you seem unwilling to do any research yourself:

"human-driven climate change will damage ecosystems and pose challenges to key sectors of the U.S. economy including agriculture and energy. "

"[M]ost of the recent global warming is very likely due to human generated increases in greenhouse gas concentrations," "[E]missions of carbon dioxide from fossil fuel use and from the effects of land use change are the primary sources of this increase."

4. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see ... Al Gore was a remarkably poor science student (do your homework), lied about inventing the Internet, and claimed a loophole in the law when caught stealing taxpayer resources to raise funds for his failed campaign for President.

As for that report - it was highly controversial INSIDE the Bush Administration, many condemned it and others resigned because of it.
    Please don't misrepresent a *political* document as scientifically decisive.

Also, again, the scientist who was the *source* of much of the *claimed science* propaganda re. "global warming" has *recanted* his endorsement of the *theory*.

But never-mind - let's destroy our economy, surrender our freedom and health, and just race like lemmings to line Al Gore's pockets and ignore the truckloads of hard scientific data screaming for us to reconsider!

Ummmm .... no.

5. KL2JE

KL2JE Ham Member QRZ Page

All while Al is jetting about the world selling his book and visiting one of his many estates. Carbon offsets are simply a redistribution of wealth away from the middle class and into the hands of the rich. If you own 5 houses and a jet you can likely afford to pay the carbon tax..........errrrr offset.

6. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no,

You mean to tell me Global Warming is over already and I missed it???

Maybe we should all increase our carbon signiture so we can help save the planet.

7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Time will tell... but, yes, I believe the GW hype will die a horrible death, much the global cooling warnings of the 70's.

In the future, when the GW fad becomes untenable, the savvy scientists and their gullible following will deny GW knowledge, association, and belief at least three times... much like Peter denying Christ three times before the rooster crowed -- for GW is a religion to so many. ;) :D

It's the way of things!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  8. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

So are you saying it was pushed through by an activist minority of environmentalists within the Bush administration against the wishes of the sensible majority, or was it the expression of a majority view?

(Environmentalists WITHIN the Bush administration?)

Seems to me that this mysterious group of environmentalists that are so set on destroying the American economy have got really, really powerful, since not only have they bought the opinions of thousands of scientists working in climatology and related fields all around the world, they have now succeeded in buying the Bush administration!

WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!

Brian G8ADD

9. W9PDS

W9PDS Ham Member QRZ Page

:)

Yes, so Al Gore & his Greenpeace army now pulls the strings of the Bush Administration itself. Obviously someone cannot wield that kind of power without being in full architect control of the Internet. He must be behind the rollout of BoPL as well.

On a serious note, sorry for singling you out on my last post KD4E. You just happened to be the last post before I hit the reply button & I shouldn't have directed that to you specifically.

Not sure where you are in FL land, but if you are anywhere in the path of Faye in the coming days I hope you & yours stay safe & dry. I've got a lot of buddies down that way & am keeping them all in my prayers.

& for the record, I did not vote for Gore, I think he would have made a crappy president on foreign policy matters, but I do think he's doing a bang-up job as an environmental activist, hard to argue that.

73's

Pat S.

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

The truth:

"The weight of scientific evidence shows that “global warming” began 300 years ago, at the end of an unusually prolonged period of comparative solar inactivity known as the Maunder Minimum, and has continued since then at a near-uniform 1 F per century. Throughout most of that long period of warming, we were not numerous enough or industrially active enough to have made any impact on mean global surface temperatures whatsoever (Akasofu, 2007). The last year which set a record for mean global surface temperature was 1998, when an exceptional but not unprecedented El Nino Southern Oscillation caused a sharp spike in global temperatures as stored heat was released from the world’s oceans to the atmosphere. Note that the instrumental temperature record began only in 1880; and, given the long-run rising trend in global temperatures, higher temperatures at the end of the period of record are scarcely surprising.

Since 1998 no new annual temperature record has been set. Since late 2001, linear-regression trends for all four of the major global-temperature datasets have been downward. The drop in temperature between January 2007 and January 2008 was the greatest since instrumental records began in 1880. Whatever else is happening in the climate, “global warming” is not “happening now” and has not been happening for a decade. No new annual global-temperature record is expected until 2015 (Keenlyside et al., 2008). Not one of the computer models predicted this long period of global cooling. In the month of June 2008, exactly 20 years after James Hansen’s forecast to Congress that global temperatures would rise sharply, global temperatures were actually cooler than they had been when he made the forecast in June 1988!"

Just when government funded scientists are receiving revved up funding from politicians, our Earthly environment decides to cool. Figgers... the facts are always inconvenient when government funding is involved.

It makes me go, "Hmm..."

Ref: http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/i...scarewatch/GW_happening_now-Royal_Society.pdf

11. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

My family and in-laws went coho "silver" salmon fishing about 10 days ago. We limited (2 fish per angler / day) in all of three hours on the Little Susitna River, about 20 miles from my house. That was about 50 lbs in fillets!

There's nothing like large, fresh, salmon fillets grilled on the barbie. Baked in tin foil with butter, lemon-pepper seasoning and sliced red onion generously applied to the top of each.

I need to go catch some more and fill my freezer for winter!

Come on up if you want!

12. KI4ZLX

KI4ZLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you jump into your fishing hobby, check this out

Oceanic "dead zones" where marine life cannot survive have been steadily increasing over the past five decades and now encompass 400 coastal areas of the world, a US-Swedish study said Friday.

http://www.physorg.com/news138072598.html

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Alaska's fisheries are healthy and productive. For the most part, even for us sport fishermen who rely on catching the escapement of the commercial boys and their nets.

"The vast fishery resources of Alaska are of tremendous importance to the economies of the state and the nation. In 2003, commercial fishermen landed over 5 billion lb of fish and shellfish worth over $1 billion. These resources are self-renewing if properly managed, and it is the mission of both state and federal fishery management agencies to maximize the production of seafood and economic benefits for generations to come.

The first major commercial fisheries targeted salmon and herring in the late 1800s when much of the product was salted for storing and shipment. Today, commercial salmon and herring fisheries occur along most of Alaska’s coastline north to the southern Chukchi Sea, with annual harvests averaging 750 million lb and 80 million lb of salmon and herring, respectively, in the 5-year period 1998-2002. Commercial shellfish fisheries target a diverse assemblage, including 7 crab species, 5 shrimp species, scallops, at least 3 clam species, and several “miscellaneous” invertebrates, including sea urchins and sea cucumbers. Crab harvests have fluctuated widely during their history.

Peak years have seen as much as 400 million lb harvested, with a recent 5-year average of 137 million lb. Commercial shrimp harvests reached peak levels of over 120 million lb in the 1970s and declined following a climate induced regime shift to average harvests of slightly over 2.2 million pounds in the 5-year period 1998-2002. Groundfish fisheries for a variety of species dominate the harvest poundage, with nearly 4.2 billion lb harvested on average in the 5-year period 1998-2002. The majority of that total, about 2.9 billion lb, was walleye pollock (Theragra chalcogramma), 555 million lb was Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus), and 483 million lb was various flatfish."

Ref: http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/geninfo/geninfo.php

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Same with environmentalists. And soon their Goose will be cooked too I hope.

15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't and I hope when the mini ice age comes in the next few years, you freeze your butt off. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.