ad: Retevis-1

Wave Talkers: new site to help you get licensed or upgrade

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W6AH, Sep 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks.

2. KM6TZH

KM6TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just checked out the site. Looks like you put a heck of alot of time into. I am studying for extra and this is another tool to help. Thanks.
    Km6tzh.

W6AH likes this.
  3. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome! Yes, it's been a heck a of a lot of work to get this site up. Very happy you're finding it helpful. Please share it with others so everyone can benefit. If you have suggestions for the site, please contact me directly.
    73!
    KM6PVT

4. WA2CXA

WA2CXA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like what I am seeing so far. Strictly from a website perspective: nice clean appearance, easy on the eyes, very good scaling between devices. If you can work all the bugs out, it will be a very useful and welcome study aid. Best of luck with your project!

5. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, we seem to be closing in on them, its a few lines of code to keep proofing over for sure.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks good - I will have to review the technical content, but it looks like a useful tool. I will be teaching a Tech class starting next week, so this should be useful.

W6AH likes this.
  7. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, please let me know if you find any issues. I really appreciate all of the help from the community identifying the initial bugs so the materials are all accurate. All questions are pulled directly from the NCVEC, so all of the issues have been simple code bugs that I clean up as they are identified. Please message me directly if you have any questions.

Good luck with the class, and thanks for sharing.
    73!
    KM6PVT

8. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure looks good, nice presentation. I'll dig into it and hope to use it as a significant tool (one of them) as I chase the Extra ticket in the near future.

Jim

W6AH likes this.
  9. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Jim, please let me know what you find helpful and not so I can evolve the tool. 73! Chris

10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris, I spent some time on your site and would like to make some suggestions.

1) I had to click thru 4 layers of the site to get to my first test question. Make the colored area on the first page click-able to take the person the 1st test question. Mark it as (Take test) or (Begin Test)
    The current (Begin) link does not go to a test. This goes to a 3rd page, again, no questions. Click (Review) on this 3rd level, and you get yest another page with no questions. Click on (T7A03) and you , finally, get to 4th level and a test question.

2) There is no explanation on how to use the site. Perhaps another page to walk the user thru the steps or FAQ link would help. I would like a local charter school to use this as part of a study program, and while most 4th graders today are Web savey, not all are. Every little bit helps.

3) Is it possible to code your site where when the correct answer to a question is selected, the next question is displayed with no additional User input?
    OR
    Since most folks could care leas as to whatever the FCC calls the element or question. (T7A03) perhaps a simple (NEXT) would simplify the process - if the automatic next question process is too difficult to code.

4) Perhaps the link using your call-sign (KM6PVT) might better be labeled as (LEARN MORE HERE) or (Other Links) - just a thought.

The site is very clean and uncluttered, thus my interest for a local school. Even better, it isn't buried under pop-up adverts (Thanks!) or other, distracting links, dancing coffee beans or other things that are not on topic.

I subscribe to the Information Theory, as applied to web-based communication, that says a User should get to the data they need with no more than two clicks. The data presented should not fill more than one page (screen). For very technical subjects, this may not be possible. In your case it should be easily done. This is the why behind my number 1).

So to that end, clicking on the first link (Take test) would display the first test question. A correct answer would display the next.

Thanks for taking the time to build the site and, even better, taking open comments from a web site noted for, at times, excessive amounts of Snark.

Good luck going forward.

W6AH likes this.
  11. N1SCA

N1SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

this is what I was looking for good work.

W6AH likes this.
  12. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the feedback Don, and all great suggestions. The initial effort has been in getting the site up and cleaning up the code bugs. That first launch phase has gone extremely well, and I really do appreciate everyone who has taken a very detailed look at the site, found, and reported the bugs so they could get cleaned up and I can move on to the next round of improvements.

I've also just started to get the opportunity to watch users navigate the site, and my very first observation has been as you point out, too many clicks to the first question, so i'm reworking the top level navigation to get you into the questions much faster and improve the navigation between questions, I hope to have that revision up fairly soon. I've added your other notes to the growing list of request to see what and where I can build in, and how quickly.

Thanks again for taking the time to look through the site and offer suggestions. Feel free to contact me directly with other suggestions.

73!
    KM6PVT
    chris

13. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent, glad it's helpful.

14. N1SCA

N1SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

need to upgrade been a general for years I want to go to the top. I know my code thank god case of emergency if your mic is out or low power transmissions. I deserve it I will use this as my study guide. keep up the good work this will work for me.:)

W6AH likes this.
  15. W6AH

W6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

As you dive into using the site, reach out if you have suggestions. Good Luck in your studies, #youGotThis 73!