ad: chuckmartin

WA6AZN, Ron Baker

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KI6DCB, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6DCB

KI6DCB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am saddened to report that Ron Baker, WA6AZN, the president of our local club, the Lee DeForest Amateur Radio Club, has passed away. He was a husband, a father, a U.S. Navy veteran, a retired engineer, a knowledgeable and willing elmer, a good friend -- in short, "a ham's ham". He will be missed by many.

2. AF6QZ

AF6QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WA6AZN

Sad news indeed. He was a good friend and the one who introduced me to Ham Radio. I will be forever grateful for his kindness and friendship.

73 Ron, till we meet again.

Al
    AF6QZ

3. WA2MDJ

WA2MDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news indeed. I heard about it this morning from Ed, KI6ADQ. Ron will surely be missed, not only by the folks in the club, but by the community in general. He was a blessing...

God bless and 73's, Ron. Fair winds and following seas...

Pete
    WA2MDJ

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. W6YNS

W6YNS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the privaledges of meeting Ron a few times and talking to him on the 2 meter repeaters a few times. The man was one of those people who would elmer you on how to operate on the bands. He even sat with me a few hours during a field day operating CW. I couldn't think of anybody nicer or more helpful. He will never be forgotten. 73's and many thanks.

5. K7VHQ

K7VHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron Baker passing

So Sorry to learn of Ron's passing. I am not a member of the Hemet club but I visited one of your field days with my Russian wife a couple years ago. Ron has e-mailed me with answer to my questions several times. What a neat guy. I read some of his web paes and learned that he had the same novice transmitter that I did. I hope to attach a .pdf file that shows how it is build. I was living in Hawthorn, CA, at the time and with 6L6 and seven watts on 80 worked as far back as AL on CW. We will certainly miss this silent key.
    Bob Todd, San Jacinto, CA. K7VHQ

6. N7QX

N7QX Guest

Ron was ( and in my mind, still is) a wonderful friend. We met in 1999 quite by accident attending a meeting of the Hemet ARC. Within a few weeks we were President and Vice President and from that point on grew a long friendship. I won't repeat all that has been said above but underscore it without question. His legacy is one of service to the community, his church, the Boy Scouts, and the Amateur Radio fraternity.

John N7QX now in Hamilton, MT....

7. KI6DCB

I have received word that services for Ron will be Wednesday, 03 November, at the LDS church at 425 North Kirby Street in Hemet, California. I don't yet know the time, but these things usually start at about 09:00 with a viewing, followed by a memorial service at 10:00 or thereabouts. Usually. Things are still somewhat in flux at this time. I will post more as I become aware. It would be nice to see such a great guy have a BIG turnout of his ham friends. Please turn off all cell phones and H-T's during the service. ;-)

To paraphrase John Donne's thoughts, The world is slightly lessened by Ron's passing. He was very helpful to me, and I know that he was instrumental in getting many amateurs licensed and on the air. He was a "grand old man" of amateur radio as well as a positive influence everywhere he went. He had a lot of interesting stories to tell and much wisdom to share. I am a pretty tough guy, but I'm having a bit of trouble with my eyes tearing up as I write this.

I hope to see at least several denizens of the 'Zed at the services, and I hope that, one day, I'll be worthy to be where Ron has gone in the life to come.

Godspeed, Ron, de KI6DCB KN

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  8. KI6DCB

Here is the latest info as of this evening:

Services will be held on Wed 3 Nov at:

LDS Church, 425 N. Kirby

Viewing 1pm to 3pm

Services begin at 3pm

There will be a small reception following the services at the church.

The family will have a couple of organizations where donations can be sent in lieu of flowers. These will most likely be the scout group that Ron was heavily involved with and the LDS church he belonged to. I will have the addresses for these organizations tomorrow and I’ll pass that info on once I receive it.

This is the most current info I have; if anything changes, I will post it here.

Ed

9. KI6DCB

Final word:

The following has been received from Ron’s family:

Services will all be held on Wednesday November 3rd, at:

LDS Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

425 North Kirby Street

Hemet, CA 92545

Viewing will take place between 1:00pm and 3:00pm, followed by his Memorial Service.

We are working with Elite Florist, Ph 951-766-5005. They are located at 2101 W. Florida Ave., Hemet Ca. Flowers can be arranged with this florist if you would like and they will be delivered to the church on Wednesday for the services.

If you would like to make a donation in Memory of Ron instead of sending flowers, these are the two funds that we believe would mean the most to dad because of his involvement in both.

Missionary Fund:

Make check payable to: Fruitvale Ward Missionary Fund

Boy Scouts of America:

Make check payable to: Boy Scouts of America

Either donation should be sent to the address below. By doing so, these funds will benefit the local Boy Scout Program that dad was involved with and the local Missionary program as well.

Mail checks to:

Bishop David E Holmes

Fruitvale Ward

656 Wildrose Cir

San Jacinto, CA 92582

Envelopes will also be available at the church for those that would like to donate there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.