ad: QuirkyQRP-1

W7DXX SPEAKS OUT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7DXX, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB5ITT

WB5ITT Ham Member QRZ Page

==============================================
    Keith seems to take pleasure in putting on remotely controlled stations and allowed a lot of people to operate...AS LONG as the rules are followed, that's fine and dandy...BUT there are some important issues to remember which he FAILS to follow from what I have seen and read:
    1) Operating a remotely controlled station does NOT absolve the trustee from any legal issues regardless of who is operating it at the time
    2) In the US, remote base stations are to be IDed by the TRUSTEE's callsign. NOT the user....thus this CA ham who was using W7DXX rmt in Boston evidently did not ID as W7DXX but rather with his own call....some may argue that is legal BUT in a remotely controlled station, there is ONE callsign; the Trustee's!! NOT the control ops or users
    3) With an out of area amateur using the remote base, that MAY fall under 3rd party tfc rules....some countries take 3rd party rules VERY seriously...I feel this could jepordize amateur operations in some countries....

You just should NOT go plunk a radio anywhere and hook it to the Internet...that invites security breaches and hackers....and I HAVE a big problem with that...this hobby is AMATEUR RADIO, not Amateur Internet or VoIP..using new technologies to ENHANCE our RADIO operations is one thing...
    openning the barn door for anyone to possibly get on the air using such a setup is another....(I have a big problem with Echolink as it's security is NONexistant and ANYONE could break into it...dont believe me? I bet 1000 bucks I could hack such an Echolink system and NOT use my callsign. acting as a hacker and then proceed to break the rules over the air putting the poor licensee's call in jeporady....IRLP? GREAT security and NO issues...ECHOLINK? Where's the RADIO in it anyway...and most of the echolink systems I hear are runnign 24 hrs with NO control op monitoring and no legal IDs over the RF links from the PC to the rptr site (which a LOT of you tend to forget about!!! BUT IT IS REQUIRED)

Chris
    WB5ITT

2. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

That Barn Door was open  along time ago, well before Echolink/IRLP came along  , perhaps HF . If you would like to hack anything, feel free ! Its not about Hacking , its about communications. BUT ,If and when you decide to do this please post your results,and of course how you did this. Inproper call sign ,violating FCC rules and regulations. Please let us know how good you are ?
    I don't mind ,I'm sure Riley will.
    If thats your plan ,please mail me my One Thousand Dollar check.    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. N2OBM

N2OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

All FYI,

Most of our YI9xxx 'tickets' were modified after 're-organization'; effective at a date that I cannot recall.

This was the last copy of mine:
    ============================          

Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA)
                  Ministry of Communications

Iraq Amateur Radio License

In accordance with Coalition Provisional Authority Order 11 effective 9 June 2003, under the laws and usages of war, and consistent with relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions, including Resolution 1483 (2003), the frequency spectrum licensing authority in Iraq is the Ministry of Transportation and Communications.  Following a reorganization, the licensing authority is the Ministry of Communications.

Under this authority, Trenton Bronson is hereby authorized to operate a station in the amateur service and amateur satellite service in Iraq, and with full amateur privileges following the rules and regulations of the country of his original license, except that full operating privileges are authorized following the Region 1 frequency band plan of the International Amateur Radio Union, and the Radio Regulations of the International Telecommunication Union, using the call sign

YI9OBM.

This license is effective on the date of this approval and expires five years from such date.

(original signed) 23 February 2004
    _   Date
     Fredrick Matos
     Spectrum Manager
     Ministry of Communications

Licensee

============================

Please note that the 're-introduction' of Amateur Radio to Iraq, after the Coalition Provisional Authority was empowered, equated to a serious undertaking by several selfless individuals.

One of the first advocates to quantify the radio service was Teemu S. Korhonen, SM0WKA.

I have an undated document titled: Amateur Radio Regulatory Rules [ORHA Spectrum desk] Iraqi Amateur Radio Society and Annex 6 of Doc.02/SM/C4.2 rev 2 authored by Teemu that was passed to me by Diya, YI1DZ.
    Code proficiency is not required, nor are there different 'classes' stipulated.
    It further states that reciprocal Iraqi tickets are available. 'HAREC-A' and CEPT-1' are listed as examples.

The 'Annex 6' equates to a Band Plan that covers IARU Region 1 with footnotes. This 'Annex 6' is 'laden' with 'European style' bandwidth/mode dictated segments covering 1.81 Mhz to 300+ Ghz. I find this approach to a bandplan rather refreshing.

Although I cannot fully support W7DXX's efforts to bring 'worldwide radio to the internet masses' (antennae challenged ?), unless 'non-profit 501-3c' status could be obtained for stateside IRBs, I would suggest to all of the 'naysayers' to do the proper homework before BASHING.

I also wish to take this opportunity to wish all of my radio brothers in Iraq a safe Ramadan.

4. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

I`ll stick with echolink..... ;)

5. W4DNR

W4DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

WA4NPL Huntsville here. Flown through any hail lately ? I saw a Cessna last year that looked worse, but it flew through a tree ... LOL!!
    It gives me great satisfaction to know the "spirit of NSD" still lives.
    Great to know that experimenters still thrive in Ham Radio.
    Go get 'em Keith  !!!!!!!!    donroden@Hiwaay.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.