ad: CQMM-1

W3YNI Tower permit again appealed

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W3WN, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a problem with people, that complain about an owner does to his/her property. What would happen if he painted his house pink with purple trim?

Or why don't the nosy busy body's demand that Cell phone towers be taken down? I personally despise the looks of those things, all spiky like a teenagers hair.

2. KF7CG

KF7CG Ham Member QRZ Page

You obviously haven't seen the entire history of this story as it plays out. W3NYI is replacing a large roof top tripod and antenna that used to reside on his home with the ground mounted tower. If a tower is an eyesore, what is a rooftop tower?

From all the other discussion this has become an anti-Ham witch hunt. I believe that if the neighbors win at this one they will try for a public nuisance suit to require him to cease all operation. Given their ability to nickel and dime him into submission (if it happens) they would be encouraged.

Sorry to say, the path of peaceful compromise is not open in this fine land. If you compromise, you will be forced to compromise again. "Peace in our time," Neville Chamberlain.

KF7CG

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite right.

So many people who are responding to this thread are only reacting to a particular post, and as a result, taking things out of context. Way out of context, in some cases.

I've been informed by hams in Chuck's area that the appeal (which is available as a public document; I haven't seen it yet, although they're hoping to get me a copy) allegedly includes quotes from this and other sites, from other hams, that appear to be in support of denying Chuck his permit and tower. The appeal also, allegedly, has a few unsavory comments about Mike K3AIR's tower... considering that Mike (Chuck's attorney, for those only picking up the tail end of this) lives in another municipality in another county with different rules, well, this has nothing to do with Chuck's situation.

But it may now all be moot. With SB-884 passing the State House, and only needing the Governor's signature & seal of approval (not a guaranteed thing, knowing Fast Eddie), Penn Township & other municipalities may only be 60 days or so away from losing their authority to deny tower permits on the basis of height and other misc. trivial factors. (See the 2nd post in the new news thread on SB-884 for complete text of the bill as passed)

We shall see.

4. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a house in my neighborhood that has parts of it painted pink. Doesn't bother me.

They do, or demand that they put fake tree branches on them.

5. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

____ I hope that as the General assembly of Penn. has decided, that the tower rules become law. Now will some of the residents keep pushing because they want to grandfather the appeal process and still keep him from putting up his tower?

____ I also wonder will this new set of rules over ride CC&Rs?

6. K1CJS

K1CJS Ham Member QRZ Page

As much as it may pain me to say this--I agree with N2RJ. I didn't buy my property just to have a nosey busybody neighbor tell me what I can and cannot do with it!

7. WY3X

WY3X Ham Member QRZ Page

My solution

I just told my realtor to have the seller sign a statement that allowed me to sue him for a return of all money invested in the property if I was disallowed the tower of my dreams after I bought it. My realtor immediately did research so he didn't lose the sale!

73, hope the tower gets approved! -KR4WM

8. N8KBE

N8KBE Ham Member QRZ Page

neighbors and zoning

I really feel for you. In my opinion, unless they paid for your property or you are doing something wrong or something that could cause danger to them, they should have no say about your tower. I hope you get it erected and I get to QSO with you very soon.
    Randy Smith
    N8KBE

9. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

10-4

I will have a ham shack in the Main Electrical Room!

10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a big yellow drum in your front yard labelled "dump your PennzWasteOil here?" Environmentally-friendly Pennzylvakia recycling.

11. KP3S

KP3S Guest

12. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we shall. PRB-1-Clone history isn't on your side, based on other states that have had these clones on their books for years. Nobody wants to force/enforce them on public boards and commissions.

13. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

LMAO. Do you really believe this? I'm laughing so hard it hurts.

14. KF7CG

KF7CG Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not that often that it happens, but it does. Generally the problem is handled from afar. I have personally witnessed the rescue of a ships crew when their freighter in the Gulf of Mexico was disabled and they were unable to contact the Coast Guard. It has been a while, but same principles apply.

Hams are distributed, decentralized backup communications system. In times of emergency many will fail though one or two will survive. How can you tell if you are going to be in the one or two? How can your neighbor?

Just because the opportunities are thankfully rare; it doesn't mean they don't eist.

KF7CG

15. WD4HXG

WD4HXG Ham Member QRZ Page

1 - Buy yourself a cheap, rusting hulk of an automobile. Hand paint it with a mix of multiple colors of returns to Home Pepot. You can usually gin up some really putrid color. Just be sure the drive train is reliable and you can get it through the emissions/safety inspection.

2 - Put those pink flamingo ornaments on the front lawn. The more the merrier.

3 - Let the grass grow, not to the height that it triggers the local government's height limitations, but just to give that ungroomed appearance. Sprinkle fertilizer randomly in spots on the lawn so it looks like Fido has made various stops. Don't trim the hedges or other ornamental plants.

4 - Collect dandelion seeds and distribute them across the yard. Also release them on a windy day. Cultivate those suckers so your yard looks like a sea of yellow on a spring day. Plant and cultivate ragweed and/or any other heavy pollen producing plant.

5 - If it does not violate the burg's rules place a 3 to 5 meter satellite dish in the front of the house.

6 - Buy a cheap barbecue grill. Add malodorous items to the charcoal such as strips of tire rubber, human hair, discarded meat items etc that emit noxious odors. Be sure to do this during the really nice weekends around holidays.

7 - Run a catch and release program for skunks. Make sure they are released away from your home.

8 - Rent the house to a family that the neighbors will find really abrasive.

9 - Obtain utility services that will require the provider to excavate the community. If you don't have natural gas service ask for it. The pipeline installation will trash the neighbors yards with dead zones for years.

10 - Put your trash curbside as early as allowed. Inflate plastic bags to look like they are full. Heap them on the curb as often as possible. Help friends dispose of old couches, other furniture and refuse as permitted by your waste disposal service.

11 - Put an old couch or other furniture discard on the porch if you have one. It needs to look ratty.

12 - If you are not musically inclined take up the violin or electric guitar. Be sure to open the windows. Start a band for the non-musically inclined. Practice often.

13 - Put up motion activated halogen lamps on the house exterior. Set them to hair trigger levels.

14 - Install a faulty burglar alarm with an exterior klaxon. About 135 dB should do nicely. 2 AM failures are really obnoxious.

15 - Cook food with really foul smells that carry well in the air. This is geographically dependent so in PA I suspect collards might really offend the neighbor's olfactory senses.

16 - When repairs are necessary use a slow contractor, one that will leave his heavy equipment on the yard and street for days. Also find one that will leave mud, muck and other obnoxious items in the streets.

17 - If allowed buy an old (1950's) delapidated 22 foot mobile home and park it in the driveway or on the street.

18 - Be a sponsor for at risk juvenile programs which will bring hoards of adolescents to your home with their automobiles, and accompanying parking requirements especially on holiday weekends. Encourage their musical interests.

19 - Buy a cheap dirt bike with an expansion chamber. Tune it up often. Ride it in the yard. It needs to be a two stroke. Make sure there is adequate oil in the gas.

20 - Have the local utility install exterior security lights on telephone poles in your yard. They typically run about $10.00 to $15.00 a month in many areas. Light the place up at night so it looks like an arena.

21 - Put up a disgusting looking but legal fence and make sure it is poorly maintained.

22 - Use a poorly maintained high oil consumption lawn mower with the muffler removed. Mow the grass as early as possible as allowed by local ordinance. Double mow areas that provide a high obnoxious factor.

23 - Insure your TV antenna has mutiple broken elements and is clearly visible from the street.

24 - Put out multiple 'FSBO' signs on the front of the house and 'FSBO' direction signs to the property on the right-of-ways as allowed by law.

25 - Pick a political candidates signs which will grind on the neighbors nerves. Install them as allowed on the front lawn. Apply liberally.

26 - Sponsor the most abrasive and disliked candidates community party in your home.

27 - Buy an old ambulance on e-Bay, install your ham station along with needed antennae on the ambulance. 6 Meters comes to mind at about 300 to 500 watts. Park it in the drive and use it for commuting one day a week.

28 - If the neighbors allow the dogs and cats to roam the community feed them gas producing foods. Buy the less than a dollar pack hot dogs. Feed liberally.

That is just the beginning.

YMMV

Chuck WD4HXG

20 -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.