ad: Radclub22-1

W3LPL Antenna Farm/Contest Station Hit by Tornado

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Jun 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL.org website reports W3LPL's extraordinary antenna farm has suffered major damage from an EF0 tornado, from storms that pounded the DC-Maryland corridor recently. The area is now without electricity although no injuries were reported from Frank or family. The tornado also hit Bernie, W3UR, who lives next to W3LPL.

More information will be welcome as comments to this OP.

:-(

Chip W1YW

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

As shown on Facebook.

[​IMG]

KF7PCL likes this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty dramatic destruction. Frank lost most of the trees in front of his home yet the house and, more importantly, residents were spared.

AA9SD and K2HAT like this.
  4. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to see this. Glad no one was injured and hope the big gun is back on the air soon.

WA6DIL and AA7UN like this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Invisible.

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

EF0? I got hit with an EF0 last year. Most of my antennas survived. Not my roof.

My TV antenna mast collapsed but it was cheap TV antenna mast. If the one I replaced it with takes damage, I'm going to lose a lot more of my roof!

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any torque bars on the tower. Looks like the tower touqued with the big crossbeam at the top. Glad nobody was injured.

8. AB9CG

AB9CG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Hope it was the least used antennas. Glad to hear people and home were ok. See you on field day maybe.
    Jay AB9CG

9. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad they're ok too. We got hit hard here in Maryland.
    Tornado's are odd, it will take out one structure but leave the one next to it untouched.
    Go figure.......

KC8VWM and KC9UDX like this.
  10. K4SQR

K4SQR Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you and family plus home OK Frank.
    Sorry for the damage.ff
    Jim K4SQR

WA6DIL likes this.
  11. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A similar thing happened to me here in Lakeland in central Florida a few years ago. It was a strong EF0 but still downed three of my oak trees, two 50 foot push up poles, all wire antennas and damaged roof significantly. When I got the new roof put on they also had to replace allot of plywood planking.

KC9UDX likes this.
  12. W5XB

W5XB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Frank, very sorry to learn of the damage. Am glad to know you, your family, and the house are ok. God Bless and take care, Grant, W5XB

N3AB likes this.
  13. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Torque arms do almost nothing except make a climber feel more secure. As long as the guy assembly that wraps around the tower and provide a place to attach guy wires properly.

Frank says that a few of the pirod fiberglass guy wires "rotted," which caused them to snap, which caused the tower to twist, which brought it down.

It was a 200 (199 feet 6 inches to the top of the mast), 10 meter tower. He says he will rebuild with a HD version of AB-105.

N2EY likes this.
  14. AJ5F

AJ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankfully, Frank no one was hurt. You can avoid this by moving out here to Utah. SLC had an F2 in 1999, but that's the only one we've had in over 50 years!

15. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

If they can rebuild Steve Austin and Lance Armstrong, they can rebuild anything.