ad: UR5CDX-1

US Islands Award Program with Jay NS4J

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Sep 2, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_057_NS4J_Thumbnail02.jpg
    The US Islands program is a nationwide initiative that promotes amateur radio operations from various islands across the country's inland waterways and coastal regions. The program encourages hams to set up stations on these islands and for others to contact them. The program maintains a comprehensive list of designated island reference numbers, aiding operators in identifying specific islands for activation. Hams earn recognition for island activations based on established rules and point systems. Through this initiative, the US Islands program fosters camaraderie among operators, public awareness about amateur radio, and reinforces the vital role of ham radio in disaster response and community connectivity. Join me for this conversation with Jay NS4J to learn more about the US Islands program.

N4VEL, GI0LDI, KB7GL and 10 others like this.
  2. KC5NGX

KC5NGX Ham Member QRZ Page

When P.O.T.A. plays out, i think U.S. Islands Program will be the next big program! This sounds GREAT!

73 de KC5NGX

K6IPF, AK5B, MM0XXW and 4 others like this.
  3. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

While I'm not so sure that POTA will ever "play out," I certainly agree that the US Islands program could likely become something big. Another positive program for ham radio! :)

73 es ZUT,
    Chip W9EBE

K6IPF, NT4U and MM0XXW like this.
  4. W0STO

W0STO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

POTA has grown so fast and it is run 100% by volunteers. It's turned into a massive undertaking for those keeping everything going. I hope it hangs around for years to come, but they've already had to stop the Plaque Awards due to lack of funding. I wish the users would realize that nothing is free and consider donating to POTA. They have changed the way I look at Ham radio and I've gotten active again after years. Anyway, I hope the US Islands takes off. Sounds like a ton of fun and another reason to keep Haming.

KF5KWO and W9EBE like this.
  5. KM4VKS

KM4VKS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

we are planning to activate Ft Sumter in Charleston SC next month. We'll be on an island and we'll make sure we shout out IOTA as well as POTA ;)

MM0XXW, NS4J, KT4PH and 1 other person like this.
  6. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to say, these comments are kind of strange, the U.S. Islands Program has been around for 29 years !! Waaay longer than the WWFF or POTA park activating programs...

Maybe they just need more publicity, or more hams need to plug the holes in their bass boats :)

AK5B and KM4VKS like this.
  7. K9VIC

K9VIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I was thinking the exact same thing.

AK5B and AE0Q like this.
  8. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been to Ft. Sumter a few times now, really enjoyed the Park Ranger's presentation. I'll definitely be listening out for you!

9. KM4VKS

KM4VKS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

sounds great! God willing we'll be there on October 21st hopefuly we will activate both at 10 and 130 EST.

AE0Q likes this.
  10. KC1HUR

KC1HUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I try to whenever I'm on Peaks Island!

MM0XXW likes this.
  11. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just thinking about the several Mississippi River islands such as Mozenthine, Chouteau, Cabaret and northward ... and others in the Illinois river near Grafton, IL. Would they count in this?

MM0XXW likes this.
  12. NS4J

NS4J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Check usislands dot org for the directory and maps. If you have questions, drop me an email. NS4J

AK5B likes this.
  13. NS4J

NS4J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

usislands.org has a calendar you can add your next planned island operation. No spotting page so it gives the chasers a heads up to look for you.

KC1HUR and MM0XXW like this.
  14. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I like this - a lot!

15. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The already overlooked benefit of the US Islands is that most (not all) are surrounded by saltwater---liquid copper for vertically polarized antennas. Even if there were no "program" to "activate" them; I have at least two saltwater islands I can get to in a matter of minutes and will operate from them as great locations to chase dx with a simple vertical or screwdriver.
    DSC07261KABEACH.jpg

DSC05979SA680.jpg

It's often much, much quieter out there by the sea with about zero RFI or QRN, too---makes everything all the more fun to be on the air!

KC1HUR and KD0XL like this.