ad: LZQSLprint-1

Unboxing the MFJ-998 - 1500 Watts automatic antenna tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's an unboxing video about the MFJ-998, full legal limit 1500 Watts automatic antenna tuner (ATU). This is part of my unboxing my new toys from the Dayton Hamvention 2017 video series. Hope you enjoy!

Pascal VA2PV

Attached Files:

KC2NVG likes this.
  2. KJ7GL

KJ7GL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All
    I had one of these tuners. You will have to play with the Load and Cap Buttons after it tunes with more power as it only will tune with max 100 watts. It blew the finals in my ALS1300 because it went into tune mode with 800 watts and did not go into bypass. I sold the boat anchor and went back to a manual MFJ-989D better than the auto tuner.
    Bill
    KJ7GL

W4KVW likes this.
  3. K4DXG

K4DXG Ham Member QRZ Page

That should be 1500 WATT not WATTS.

VA2PV likes this.
  4. KB8OTK

KB8OTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought one of these new from DXE, it tuned 1 time and quit working. Took it back and got the Palstar AT2K instead. Sure the Palstar is manual tune, but it works great and covers 6M as well. Unless you are running remotely, save your self the headache and go with the Palstar.

SV8RMA, KT5OT and K3TEF like this.
  5. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had one for over a year with an IC-7600 and it's worked fine. The interface cable keeps the power low during the tuning cycle. It is a bit noisy, though. When I got it I did a tuning cycle every 5 Khz to preset it and it's been fine ever since. A friend has the Palstar auto-tune (at 3x the price) and it works well. He got the software that causes the tuner to track with frequency changes of the radio even without tuning and that is a really slick trick.

VA2PV, F6GWP and W0ZZG like this.
  6. W2MFT/SK2023

W2MFT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Never got the point of "Unboxing videos". I know what is in the box BEFORE I purchase something. This seem to be a carry over from youtube and kids with their new phones. It would seem to me most would rather see a video of how the particular piece of equipment operates and a review of it, as opposed to seeing someone take it out of the box. Kudos for good production values.

W1FYL, VE3TCV, KT5OT and 11 others like this.
  7. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

I bought mine slightly used , It arrived not working and after a complete re-solder of the boards has run perfectly ever since within the limitations of what it can do . Naturally I assumed transit shook the lousy soldering loose .

W0ZZG likes this.
  8. N0PKZ

N0PKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes indeed, MFJ made from junk! I have one and it is a mistake ill never make again!

SV8RMA and KT5OT like this.
  9. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Palstar for me..

KT5OT, K3TEF and KB8OTK like this.
  10. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

I would go with the Palstar Auto if I want a 1500watt auto tuner.

KT5OT likes this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I've often wondered, if someone decides to return an item, do they then make a "reboxing video"? Just curious.... :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

W1FYL, N8DC, VA2PV and 7 others like this.
  12. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless you want to waste 5 minutes of your life, skip to the 5:00 minute mark, that is when he gets around to opening the box.

N8DC likes this.
  13. KZ7ZZ

KZ7ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

14. KZ7ZZ

15. KZ7ZZ