ad: elecraft

Two YouTube Hams Interview Each Other Over HF - The way it should be.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice try.

Friend, when I order chocolate I don't expect to get strawberry.

Chip W1YW

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sked KB7TBT?

You asked for it, or are you just wasting my time in your request (as 'our time' with this OP)?

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

R-E-A-D

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

No Big Deal. I am NOT interested in hearing those two guys talk about ham radio. I AM interested in making contacts and talking about ham radio MYSELF, live and in person, with other hams.

I cannot imagine why anyone would expect me to replay THEIR conversation, as I do not recognize either of them as a guru or expert - just a couple of fellers taking radio - Sheesh! No big deal - this goes on all day long. It is what we all do.

Just My take. K8JHR

W1YW, K4AGO and K0UO like this.
  5. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Show me right now where part 97 says anything other than Amateur radio.

If we all took "your" word for it all the other youtube videos that have recorded on air qso's including the ARRL itself would be in your so called violation.

K4YKI likes this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my opinion about You tube videos, but I won't share it.

I am staying out of the ensuing fray. No need to fuel the fire or fan the flames.

Be ye kind one to another.
    John
    K4AGO

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    W7GG and K0UO like this.
  7. K4AGO

8. K4AGO

Mine does not either.
    John
    K4AGO

9. K4AGO

I totally and completely agree. You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you.

In my opinion neither of them are experts.
    John
    K4AGO

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 4 telecom lawyers that advise me at various times. I don't think you should 'take my opinion'. If you stopped for a minute trying to diss me, you would know that I very much expect and encourage others to pursue the facts. I think you should do this on your own; you obviously did not consider it a priori.

Independent of that issue, this is just not amateur radio news. Why did you possibly think it should be?

I mean, really: what is the NEWS item--that two (youtube video)podcasters had a ham QSO?

I am glad they had a QSO. Its what HAMS do! But that's not news....

Chip W1YW

WJ1MK and K0UO like this.
  11. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

You know Chip, maybe it is "news" only because of where it got posted on the Zed. If it posted in the ham radio forum then it would just be a discussion.
    Who really give a rat's a** what it is or if it's news!

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Upcoming QRZ.COM "news" story: Two Twitter Hams Tweet Each Other on FT8 while watching paint dry!

Still. NOT. News.

N0CN and K0UO like this.
  13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess they haven't heard of books.

I know, I know. Books! They're like S0 20th century. Hams who read books are like, old, you know...and probably still operate CW.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of us do.

Here's why:

Ham radio is an exciting high tech service/hobby that does not get the requisite respect owed in this age of innovation and DIY makers . When 'anything goes' on "what is ham radio news", then our own view of ourselves becomes closely aligned with the notion that what we do is on the same level as model train enthusiasts--an old men's whim and throwback to antedeluvian times.

We can't afford that. We are a privilege extended by the government based on a mission-defined need. And we shouldn't sell ourselves short.

Now--there is nothing wrong with the fellows doing those video podcasts. In fact, they provide quite a bit of helpful information, especially to newcomers. That's awesome. Kind of like 'Car Talk' of yore.

The issue is the "news" that they have a video podcast predicated on the fact that they talked to each other on the air---that, IMO, is an embarrassing piece of "news". IOW its not news. It is what we do and that commonality precludes it from being "amateur radio news".

Now: look at the posts. Clearly there are many like myself, who manage to communicate without the brittle vernacular you chose to use here, and who also agree that this is not news. Of any sort.

Hope this helps. Go HAM or go home, as they say:)

Chip W1YW

15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! Two hams talked to each other! AND videoed themselves doing it! Wow!!!! Big News!!!! I'm so friggin impressed and excited.

K0UO and W1YW like this.