ad: Schulman-1

Tribute to John E. Johnson, KC8UQE

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KD5HLB, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD5HLB

KD5HLB Guest

Our Tribute to John E. "JJ" Johnson, KC8UQE
    1931 - 2008

by Lamar Denby KD5HLB

The Lord has called our dear friend, John E. "JJ" Johnson, to his Heavenly home. I'm not sure who it was that started calling him "JJ" but we all picked up on it, and he didn't mind in the least. We all have special memories of him that will last for many years to come. Usually, JJ was the first to sign on the pre-net at about 4:00 AM. He'd say good morning to each of us by name and call sign, and got it right every time.

He was kind and considerate to everyone. On rare occasions an ill-mannered radio operator would come in and gruff out a few bitter words, but JJ would graciously say, "Well, let me drink my coffee, thanks for the call, have a nice day, KC8UQE, listening." He was always a gentleman. He and Nip, Hamp (before he passed on), Sam, Richard, Gary, Oops and several more early risers kept us all laughing with their tall tales and Southern humor. Yes, Southern humor! Even though JJ lived in Decatur, Michigan, he was still an Alabama country boy, and never forgot his upbringing.

It was never just, "Good morning, JJ," but, "Good morning JJ and Miss Toby." Toby was the love of his life and he was so blessed to have her as his wife. He would say to the group, "Fellows, Toby just brought me my breakfast, I'll be back, KC8UQE." When he returned and sometime before we'd let him go, we'd ask him what he was having for breakfast. He'd tell us toast, bacon and eggs and then chuckle a bit when Sam said he was having a Buddy Bar.

JJ had a big station! But what made it big was not an amplifier (even though we jokingly accused him of having one hid in the attic); it was not his ICOM 756 PRO and wire antenna cut for 3878 kHz; it was his character and upright conduct, for which he will receive a great reward in Heaven. He's there now with Hamp K5JY and John W8ML, and so many others who have gone that way before him. What a time they must be having! There's no QRM up there, and no quarmers are allowed to enter. All is well.

I cannot improve on what Nip W4NIP has already said concerning JJ, "I think about the many, many, great conversations that all of us would have in the early mornings, that would start the day out in such a nice fashion. We will never forget the pleasures that all of us experienced with JJ; waking each other up while drinking our first cup of coffee. It's as if we were all related, closer than just radio friends. Something we shall cherish forever."

We love you JJ, and miss you so much.

Your friends on the Mississippi Magnolia Net

2. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

May the Lord comfort you family

I was saddened to see such a young man pass away. It shows that before this day is over you could be gone. From what I read he was a christen man and is with Jesus.
    May the Lord comfort you family.

Pleas be prepared for the after life you may have no warning or time to call out for Jesus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.