ad: UR5CDX-1

Tom Gallagher, NY2RF CEO ARRL featured guest on HAM NATION

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Dec 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA1CXA

WA1CXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well then.
    Live in the Ridges in stamford..much more cozy and nearer to Hartford.

2. WA1CXA

Your opinion is like a seive

3. WA1CXA

Yea!!! And how about your flying TEA POT theory also!!!

4. WA1CXA

Ok..Pink Unicorns and Flying Teapot Theories...lets hear more...

5. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did and got back a personal letter (in the mail) by him. To tell you the truth, it's not what he says but what he does. Granted, he just got the job and I let my membership expire due to the things that ARRL does that I don't agree with. Time will tell and, if he comes though, I'll renew in a heartbeat.

de NK2U

6. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to see what he DOES. Anyone can say anything...

de NK2U

7. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct; Amateur Radio is not intended for broadcasts directed at the general public. Part 97 FCC rules do include provisions for the transmission of bulletins directed towards Amateur Radio operators, however, so bulletins are very much a legitimate part of Amateur Radio.

73, Ed, W1RFI

WU8Y likes this.
  8. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

In August, I reached full retirement age. I first met Tom early in the year, and I had decided then that if he was someone I could work with, I'd stick around and if not, I'd quietly retire with grace and dignity. I like what I see, and those that know me well know that if I felt otherwise, I'd call it like it is. Tom wants to see ARRL do more than the same-old-same-old, and is looking for the ways to revitalize Amateur Radio and ARRL, with the resources available to him. He has been exceptionally supportive of my work and I am going to stick around to get more of what needs to be done completed. I will retire one day, but if someone is willing to take on the challenge of making the world a better place, I am going to stick around and help.

But ARRL is not about one guy sitting in the CEO office, and so what it can do is as much dependent on me, and you, as it is him. He does have one great strength that supports that, though -- when I am getting good stuff done, he offers encouragement, what support is needed, then he stays out of my way. :)

Ed, W1RFI
    ARRL Lab

WA8FOZ, K3SX and WU8Y like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What happened to the CTO?

Does ARRL presently have a CTO?

If not, why doesn't the membership know what's happened?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Time for the ARRL to get out a press release for the grateful service of the CTO....

Tell the CEO this is how things are done. If someone failed to bring it to the CEO's attention, they need to be talked to.

The ARRL as a volunteer org is like herding cats--but you still have to detail the herding and thank the cats.

As the ARRL heads into MORE volunteerism, keep this in mind.

Great people require attention to detail at the leadership end.

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The N1BCG Special Event station is in the log here on 20m. Thanks to Steve NY3B as guest op for that band. Can faintly hear the carrier of Clark running the AM xmtr on 7285 KHz but the modulation is a bit low. Perhaps propagation to FL will improve later in the day.

12. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok a few observations:

1. Contests should be limited to portions of the bands. Yes, we have WARC bands, but they're not good when sunspots are poor for years at a time.

2. Special Events should be special - not every week. They should be limited to portions of the bands as well.

3. When you mention ARRL in every event, it sounds like advertising. Not good for a non-pecuniary hobby.

4. ARRL is a club with 20% of the hobby as members. Many of the members are not active. Stop pretending ARRL represents all hams.

5. If you don't poll 100% of the hams before lobbying, expect vocal rebellion and resentment (See Ham Parity Act; Bandwidth Regulation; No Code, etc.)

6. National Association for Ham Radio is a goal, not a reality. Stop making self aggrandizing pronouncements.

7. The Amateur Auxiliary is a good idea as a limited resource. Don't expand it to be anything more unless you actually TRAIN the OO's.

8. Most hams on the HF bands think of the ARRL as a bunch of stuffy New Englanders who don't listen. If they think of ARRL at all. Work on that.

9. If you endorse or sponsor Special Events and Contests, remind participants CONSTANTLY that they should avoid QSO's in progress.

(There's more hatred of the ARRL over rude contesters interfering with ragchews than any other issue I've heard)

10. Invite more kids, women, and minorities to participate. You don't need to hold an election. Just invite them to participate by any means necessary.

11. So many articles on QRZ. Have you noticed they don't get many readers, relatively speaking? Oversaturation.

12. Stop pretending Warning letters and Forfeitures are "enforcement actions" - We all know they're meaningless unless money changes hands, YEARS later.

I'll think of a few more constructive suggestions over the next few weeks....

de N1FM
    ARRL Club Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    NK2U and W0PV like this.
  13. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom (N1FM):

Good suggestions mixed in with more than a little bile, ignorance and prejudice. Here's some feedback for you...

1. The ARRL board is made up of members from across the USA, not just New-Englanders. Since you are an ARRL member, you might actually want to see who is representing you locally (probably Jeff Beals, WA4AW, in Loxahatchee, FL). It's on the ARRL website.

2. I'm from SoCal, and most people here think that Florida is the last life-stop for retirees before running over a few teenagers at a bus stop, or a haven for trigger-happy vigilantes. That's what makes the news on both coasts. And since I'm regularly out there - in your neighborhood, in fact (Boynton Beach), I know that's not true. Likewise, my frequent visits to ARRL and New England has pretty much blown-up their "stuffed shirt" stereotype, in my book. Never met a friendlier bunch of solid people who are there when you need them, be it Manchester, New Hampshire, Boston, Massachusetts, Newington Connecticut or any other place in the original 13 colonies. And they are Americans, just like you, BTW. Remember that. Its important.

3. You've clearly never been to ARRL HQ, or you'd know that much of their staff ARE licensed AND women, at all levels. Have you even read Emma Schaeffer's column in QST? You should. She's covered a lot of ARRL's outreach efforts, and done it well - the ones you say are missing. Do you even read you read QST at all, to see just how many elementary school and college level programs ARRL sponsors. In August, I met with the head of the Talcott Mountain Science Center amateur radio program. Don is black, by the way, and so is his nephew who attends the center, which is neither here nor there, anyway, because both are just top-notch PEOPLE. ARRL just supported Don and the TMSC in re-establishing their Amateur Radio curriculum, which I'm an alumni of, by donating equipment and support to the center. THEY CARE AND THEY ACT.

I don't know what bad circumstances lead you down the bitter path you're on, but I do hope you find a way to focus on improving matters, this late in your life, rather than committing online social arson. Plenty of crackpots in that field already - its oversubscribed. I expect much better of a police officer, and so does much of the U.S.A. (no, I haven't taken a 100% poll on this, and don't feel I have to). So buck up. This is your hobby and it is what you help it to be. Good or bad.

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN

14. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Try to process the message without attacking the messenger. Your response perfectly typifies responses from most cult members I've interviewed. Enjoy your (little)(dying) club. I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback with responses like that. ( NOT !! ) ( LOL !! )

NK2U likes this.
  15. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ummmm. Didn't you say you are a member of ARRL. So, presumably, you bought into the club as well. Just sayin'.