ad: QuirkyQRP-1

The sinking of the Titanic

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3ZUP, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8KIR

W8KIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the privilege of operating the Special Event Station from the Titanic Museum in Branson, Mo. this past weekend. Our call was W0S. We also had a sister station in Pidgon Forge, Tn. Their call was W4S. Had a great time. We logged about 800 contacts half of which were CW. We had fun introducing people to morse code. So many thought it was a lost art. I wish QRZ had published our info we sent them about the Special Event that we sent them. I guess we were not special enough.

2. KC2GEP

KC2GEP Ham Member QRZ Page

KC2GEP Ham Member- Would like to see these wireless exchanges in more detail as a part of new dramatizations on TV. It might be more realistic if we actually heard the operators reading the words as they are decoding and trying to tune in other ships through the static (QRM). The attempt to synthesize the voices was a failure, but the foreign accents might be used if it depicted the voices of the receiving operators as they decoded. The emphais of such a show might be on the rescue and the role of the wireless, aside from the disaster itself. 73

3. AG6JU

AG6JU Guest

I am glad I did not live in the time, when technology were primitive. I think even $1000 HF radio work better than those radio in Titanic. of cause, I think most of the ship probably have satellite communication, which are much more reliable than HF.

4. NW9M

NW9M Ham Member QRZ Page

$1000 radios? I suspect even a $10 QRP kit would work better, and I KNOW that a $10 QRP kit combined with a $15 QRP amplifier would definitely work better.

Having said that, I suspect that a modern radio would have nowhere near the "personality" of a finicky turn-of-the-century spark gap transmitter and receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.