ad: cq2k-1

The QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program Continues

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Apr 5, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With the help of our sponsors, we've been able to extend the QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program for three additional months, through June 30, 2023! The QRZ Jumpstart Package will still be available to new hams for the price of $21.99 at checkout. It's a very, very good deal for just a few dollars. We sincerely hope that it will continue to hope the new hams among us.

Here are the details:

QRZ, GigaParts and RT Systems have teamed up to offer another incredible package deal with subsidized prices only for new hams:

Explorer QRZ-1 VHF/UHF Radio       $59.95

Programming cable                  $14.99

RT Systems Programming Software     $34.99

30 Day Premium QRZ Subscription $9.95

                                 -----------

                               $119.88 value

                             Only $21.99 ** 80% OFF THE RETAIL PRICE! **

With this deal structure, hams licensed any time within the past 6 months are eligible, and we have included the programming cable with every Jumpstart package. Each package also includes a welcome pack with additional discounts and helpful tips for new hams. And, participants will still receive the free 30 day Premium QRZ subscription.

Purpose of the Jumpstart Program

This program is designed to promote amateur radio to the masses, helping to eliminate a possible
    barrier to entry by providing new hams with a good quality first radio at a very affordable price. The Jumpstart program will provide the
    QRZ-1 radio to new hams who meet eligibility requirements.

Eligibility
    New hams who have obtained their first license from the FCC within the 6 month period before submitting an application are eligible.

The eligible ham must have a QRZ user account and be able to log in and apply for the award. Certain types of identification, including a photo ID, may be required. This information is not shared or exchanged with any party and is used only to validate eligibility under this program. Additional shipping charges may apply.

This program is available to amateur radio operators licensed in the USA and expires December 31, 2023, or while supplies last.

How to participate:

To participate, complete the application process at www.qrz.com/jumpstart. Jumpstart packages are currently available for immediate shipment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    KE8ZJN, KQ4GTG, N8JJM and 12 others like this.
  2. KB0TTL

KB0TTL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While I love the way Gigaparts wants to do all they can to breathe new life blood into the hobby, I truly miss the days when getting a HAM license was enough of a reward of its own.

KF5KWO and VA2SS like this.
  3. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

incentives and Trinkets and shinny objects always bring people in....

KE0SSM, KQ1V, KI4KWR and 2 others like this.
  4. KN6YXY

KN6YXY Ham Member QRZ Page

Having recently received this, it's a nice package and an easy way to get started. Thanks @KF7WIS

KE0SSM, KN6ZKU, W0PV and 5 others like this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As an active VE, I can say that when we mention this incentive the candidate(s) [holding their CSCEs]... their eyes light up. Nothing but good comes from this program: it gets people on the local repeaters, goodwill for www.QRZ, GigaParts gets exposure, and it is good for the hobby. Everyone wins.

KE0SSM, KC3VFQ, KQ4DVQ and 7 others like this.
  6. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a great program and i am sure will serve several ham operators and they will remember it for a long time

KE0SSM, KQ4DVQ, AB4BF and 3 others like this.
  7. VE3SVF

VE3SVF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad, can't get it because I'm a new ham in Canada haha

KT4QD likes this.
  8. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

59.95 for a QRZ-1? A Chinese rebranded TYT TH-UV88 dual band (2 for $59) on Amazon
    2-3 Years ago HRO quit selling TYT for a good reason! TYT is JUNK. I purchased two TYT DMR Ht's from HRO a couple of years ago, both failed within 3 days! HRO would not warranty replace the radios because TYT has ZERO customer support. TYT refused to support their sh17.
    Don't believe me? Call them.
    I'm retired from Motorola C&E, I was trained by Motorola and certified to service SMT repair to component level. Motorola quality is superior.
    I had nothing to lose, so I opened both the HT's and I was shocked, The SMD were very poorly bonded to the PCB. After putting both VCO and RF boards in a reflow oven, one worked. The lack of QC (Akin MFJ) was unbelievable!
    A much better choice for an entry level HT is the Icom IC-V86, It's only 2 meter but 95% of entry level hams only operate in the 2 meter band.
    It meets MIl STD.810 C D E E & G environmental tests and it's made in Japan. Not China.
    There are better ways to attract new blood to the hobby.

W1ROM and W2JLD like this.
  9. KY4PW

KY4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

I considered getting the license reward enough.

KB0TTL, VE3SVF and KO4MAO like this.
  10. KY4PW

KY4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

Any opinions of Yaesu's FT-65r? Also, a little curious about what you think might be better ways of attracting new folks.

KO4MAO likes this.
  11. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am all for reaching out to non hams, and introducing them to the hobby even if it means using incentives to bring them in, a lot of young people are pretty open minded about ham radio, once you educate them about ham radio, and how cell phones can be compromised, that seems to perk their interest real fast, you would be very surprised. W6FRD.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    AB4BF and KC3VJQ like this.
  12. KI5UXW

KI5UXW Ham Member QRZ Page

As the Club President for K5LBJ, I'm in charge (under my own direction, o' course :)) of making sure our new licensees get OTA as soon as possible and the QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program has been a huge boon on doing this. Right off the top of my head, I can list KI5YPB, KJ5AGY, KI5ZUF, and (I believe) KI5ZWV (but he uses his modified Baofeng 'cause it gave him a place to mod in a counterpoise easily ;)) who've gotten these radios. So, thank y'all so much for this program!
    (Side note: I got licensed and the QRZ program rolled out just as my 30 day period expired so I don't have one of these beauties :confused:)

AB4BF and KF7WIS like this.
  13. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a couple two three APXs myself! I started off with the Moto HT-220, to MX-synthesized 340 and 350, to MT500, MT1000, Ht1000, every Sabre model (1 - 3 and Astro), to XTS3000/5000, Spectra, then the cheap HT1250/CDMxxxx/MCS-series (blah), then the XPR-series, and finally I am on the APX-series (1000/4000/7000/8000 and mobile 1500, 4500, and 7500).

That said... I agree with you in part that Moto is the most vastly superior radio for hammy use, but I just do not see this programming transitioning from cheaper mass-produced consumer quality HTs to the Moto APX-series. :D One can wish! Who can fund it?

I also assert the average hammy does not have the knowledge or skill to get a hammy ticket one day and then jump to programming Moto gear. IMO, folks who gravitate to Moto quality gear are in the comm industry or public safety. Personally, I think the folks who use Moto/Kenwood/ICOM/GE/VERTEX commercial gear are in a league of our own. :cool:

Still, a very good program for new hammies.

KI5UXW and KC3VJQ like this.
  14. KC3VJQ

KC3VJQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a new license, I took advantage of the QRZ Jumpstart Program. It accomplished two things for me. First, it did put a radio in my hands to get on the air. Second, it started my use of QRZ. Couldn't be happier with both and definitely worth the small investment for the program. Sure, I will eventually upgrade my equipment. But, this works great for now, especially considering the price.

Thank you for offering this program!

KZ4EA, K9DGY, KI5UXW and 3 others like this.
  15. KQ4GBA

KQ4GBA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I noticed a conflict in the when the license were granted. In one post is says within the last six months. When you go the link to complete is clearly says "
    • Must be newly Licensed within the last 30 Days
    Which is the right requirement, 30 days or six months?

KI5UXW likes this.