ad: ProAudio-1

The OMs on QRZ said this won't work

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Nov 20, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, apparently multiple DX contacts and great signal reports don’t mean anything to them. We can’t trust other hams’ ears anymore because…well just because, I guess. And what ABOUT those other hams? Are the antennas they’re using to receive my signal “known well-performing” antennas?

“I gotta build two antennas this weekend: one stealth EFHW because of time and money constraints and because I want to do some SOTA work, but also a separate “known, well-performing” antenna so I can see just how bad the first one is. Oh yeah, and I’m not gonna tell anyone about it anywhere, and I’m going to tell anyone I contact that they’re not allowed to spot me because pre-internet hams will be spinning in their graves, and if they do spot me, I won’t confirm our contact.”

For the sad hams, anything that came after them will always have an asterisk. “Yeah, you made a slew of contacts on top of a summit in the dead of winter with a wire antenna using Morse code with your “great” antenna, but you told people ahead of time. Well lemme tell you you young whippersnapper, your antenna isn’t great because you didn’t lug up a known well-performing antenna to do A/B comparisons with, and secondly, the exchanges are easy, and thirdly, you’re not having a conversation, and back in my day…”

AE8EM likes this.
  2. KF5KWO

Yeah, contests and nets are scheduled ahead of time as well. I guess all the sad hams are gonna shun them too.

AE8EM likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be sad; be glad!

This thread has shown many folks, especially SOTA/POTA folks, that IF you have a compromise in erecting the height of your antenna, at least take ADVANTAGE of the falloff of the terrain. In that case, try to erect reasonably close to the fall off, and see if you have any versatility on where to mount the antenna, direction-wise.

Chip W1YW

W7ASA likes this.
  4. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a noticeable divide between some hams at home who are in the shack -vs- those who operate in remote locations, well outside the comforts of the shack. I've done a lot of /p operating from a rucksack and also have the engineering background to appreciate the arguments of both sides. These arguments seems to boil down to:

1. Perfect antenna is X. I have the texts and lab equipment to back-up my statement. You MUST build X.

2. Ah yes, but here on this ridgeline, in the snow, high winds and freezing temps, the PRACTICAL antenna is Y.

5. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The only "divide" is created by those who resort to name calling instead of sticking to a technical discussion.

N4DJT and W1YW like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...or learning from it;-)

KR3DX and W7ASA like this.
  7. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have felt very odd indeed if I'd adopted an SK's call. Or if I were a "callsign cameleon," switching to make the Morse shorter and sorter. I requested my "forever call" as soon as I was eligible for it (I needed an Extra Class ticket) and I'm sticking with it.

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

...In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, while in practice there is [a difference].
    (“The Yale Literary Magazine” of February 1882 B Brewster)

and

If it is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
    (Mercedes Lackey)

KF5KWO, AE8EM and W7ASA like this.
  9. K9XR

K9XR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, my antenna REALLY SUCKS, and I know it, But I know I work more DX than a lot of guys that have big power, and big antennas, but don't know how to use them. Oh, I do OK in the states, as well. I need 34 states for 9BWAS, 24 of which are on 12 meters, because my antenna REALLY, Really sucks on 12 meters, and it isn't much fun.

KF5KWO likes this.
  10. K9XR

Absolutely! Sometimes it takes a while to find the guys with the good antennas.

11. K9XR

I have heard if you use Kosher salt you can work Israel 24/7 on any band!

12. W3OY

W3OY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice... I have the same problem with my 40m end fed that I have in my tree as a vertical... "Cloud Warmer" they say.... Until I worked Bouvet with it with 100 watts. Some antennas look like crap on paper but until you try and test it, you never REALLY know. 73 de W3OY.

KF5KWO likes this.
  13. KF5KWO

Does it really count though? ;-) Cue the, “Well, you could have worked them so much faster if you had a real antenna,” crowd. Congrats on snagging Bouvet!

14. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was licenced in 1992 you had the next call off the pile. Now you can choose your own call.

In 2020 i left the hobby :rolleyes:
    Remained of air for 2 years :rolleyes: Then changed my call! :)

15. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stupid is as stupid does!
    (Forrest Gump)