The Case for Mars - The Mars Society - KA9JSV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA9JSV, Oct 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't read the whole opening tome, it was rambling and not getting to a point so I just browsed it.

I don't think NASA needs much help figuring out how to communicate across space. Especially from amateurs. And it's unlikely that amateurs are going to have a Mars base any time soon.

I did notice the appeal for donations. Is that what it's really about?

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a while since I read Zubrin's book, and maybe he's corrected it in a later edition or something.

But according to him, Mars does have an ionosphere. IIRC, the MUF was somewhere in the range of 3 MHz.

Edited to add: I found the book. According to Zubrin (The Case for Mars, page 157-58) the MUF is about 4 MHz during the day and 700 kHz at night.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure I understand this whole thing...

Please explain, is this about some people 'playing astronaut' in ssome simulated bio-domes ?

Like an adventure vacation?

And you are asking for donations of equipment so they can play radio too?

Is this correct?

And you are hoping to increase the ranks of ham radio by getting those who go to play there licensed?

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

He wants them to pretend they are on Mars, and dispense with government based regulations on transmissions.

Roger, over, out!

:)

6. KA9JSV

KA9JSV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was inspired by Radius Production's The Mars Underground, from 2011.
    ( )

Seeing their Analog "practice' Stations - University & Special Interest Groups
    stay there as a 2 week simulation, going through the movements, etc.

Digging deeper I noticed they were practicing isolation more than communicating.
    They do simulate that Time-Delay and post reports on the facebook.... which is nice.
    Other experiments involved using Wi-Fi in close proximity for a weather station and Rover.

I've conveyed to them the importance of remote telemetry at greater distances in
    harsh conditions and hopefully approach more real-time ops, rather than depend on
    the quick-n-easy smart phones with power apps and straining for broadband coverage.

I'd implored them to have at least two of the six Crew members, licensed hams.
    And to make use local low-power packeting for Health Monitoring, and Power Plant levels.
    To Track satellites and simulate Supply Ship arrival & departures.
    Also, to retro-fit a Rover with Ground Penetrating Radar for sub-surface imaging.

Hams and Makerspaces could possibly benefit with local projects than can be tested at the habitats.
    This involves those who are fascinated in the space industry.
    We see the same thing with AmSat embracing many groups, making Cube-Sats.

The Mars Society maintains itself as non-for-profit.
    They commiserate with aerospace and astrophysical groups, including Ames Research.
    Their knowledge of radio and telemetry is limited, compared to Radio Amateurs.

My message was also to ask others to participate and / or donate time, devices or plans
    to build sensors & interfaces. Involving Makerspaces helps reduce costs and gets noticed.

Hope this helps.. and thank you for your attention.
    Dave KA9JSV

7. W8BFT

W8BFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am constantly amazed by how people will skim a proposal, take a few words out of context and go off on a rant about how it can't be done, is illegal, etc., etc.

Certainly, NASA has access to frequency spectrum to do any of this in their own development experiments. Off the planet, radio communications, telemetry, etc. will be governed by international treaties and agreements until there are enough individuals who no longer consider themselves citizens of any country on earth--or, indeed, of the Earth at all. Then it's the wild west.

However, the Mars Society is not NASA, is not government, is not a business, and is physically in North America. There's absolutely no reason appropriately licensed individuals couldn't simulate a Mars-like communications environment using Amateur radio.

Certainly the utility and practicality of this proposal is up for debate (I can think of several problems), but NOT the legality or availability of technology. The Mars Society is an amateur endeavor, and amateur radio certainly could play a role.

8. KM0MMM

KM0MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

These points were most interesting to me.

"Imagine how radio-quiet those first humans will find MARS to be.
    It will be like listening to the ether like Marconi first heard it on Earth a century ago, but without
    all the static and noise of lightening and thunderstorms.
    Maybe there are new noise sources on Mars or propagation possibilities as yet unexplored on Mars."

How wonderful it would be to have such a noise free environment, unlike what neighborhoods provide us now. My neighbor turns on her TV and my 20m band is filled with tones galore.

Mars is still a long way off though, with the state NASA and others in the space biz here in the US. We now depend on Russia to get our astronauts to the ISS, while China, just this week, has placed two men inside their Tiangong-2 space lab. This is the second venture to a space lab for them.
    But, WE can still get cargo to the ISS, sometimes. And they are in the planning process to get people up there, again, as well as the continuation of cargo flights.
    Mars is a dream right now, with a prayer that it will become a reality some day.
    KG0UFO, 73

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hardly noise free. Moving ferric dust causes plenty of noise.

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Untrue. The Mars Society is an organization with a purpose. Probably a state corporation with federal 501C3 status. They may not use amateur radio to conduct the business of the corporation including space simulations. The FCC has other services that are appropriate.

It is never inappropriate to discuss the matters the OP has posted.