ad: elecraft

Tending the fire.....

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jul 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KD6MSI writes "And now, a message from the "been there, done that" dept:

I recently read an article that expounded on our importance to the world community due to our function as communicators during emergencies, complete with dire predictions regarding the reliability of commercial communications systems such as cellular and landline. This is an old horse that's been beaten quite a bit. Off the top let me just state that I understand our role as emergency communicators and even wrote an article here on the subject. Those issues are known. 'Nuff said.

Something that came to mind though is, in my opinion, of much greater importance.

That is, that basically, we amateurs are really bad at self promotion. We are so bad at it that most people don't even know what amateur radio is. And those that do are astonished, no, make that shocked, to learn that Morse code is still used at all, much less a very commonly utilized mode. People simply have no awareness of the existance of amateur radio.

What's that you say? You don't believe me? Ask around at the office. You will likely get references to the movie titanic (the radio room scene) or eleven meters. Then try to explain to the uninitiated why on earth you would want to talk to people on the radio.

It's not thier fault, it's ours. We havent spent any time on public awareness. Even the NRA knows the value of public relations. No wonder the public thinks amateurs are a bunch of old farts drawling into microphones, "breaker, breaker, one-nine".

Shelf the emergency communications debate. Forget it boys. The general public dosen't care. Concentrate on something far more important: Getting the word out that amateur radio is fun. (yes, I used the "f" word). We need to be promoting amateur radio as a fun, educational, and engaging hobby that has something for everyone.

Actively recruiting new hams and elmering existing ones is how we will keep amateur radio alive. Not trying to convince the public that someday we may be needed to save them from a disaster. Sorry, but that has an element of arrogance attached to it (whether or not it is true is beside the point).

Once we have them in the fold, we can introduce them to the fun of involvement in volunteer organizations, and emergency communications.

Incidentally, someone (i don't remember who) made the comment that emergency communications is the primary reason that we are allocated bandwidth. I take exception to this statement. Emergency communications is certainly a great part of why amateurs continue to be allowed use of as much spectrum as we have. But from the very beginning we have been privileged in many ways, one of them being that we are the only civilian radio service that is not only allowed to modify and experiment with radio equipment, but actually encouraged to do so. There is a very logical reason for this. Much of current communication technology is based on work pioneered by amateur radio operators. Amateurs world wide continue to contribute to the state of communications technology science by ongoing tech innovation. It is a long tradition and a valuable contribution to the world community.

That said, remember that getting others hooked on the fun of amateur radio is how we will keep it healthy.

Mathew, kd6msi"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.