ad: GoBoxRadio-1

"Take Your Handheld to Work Day." June 20

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF4VGX, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1XZ

W1XZ Guest

If we aren't reading about Stinky, Notso, and their rotten windows and nuts we have to put up with this blatant ad for Icom. Come on you moderators do something...

Bring your HT to work and listen to the vibrant traffic nets handling all those messages that flow effortlessly through the system...then listen to the weather reports and the scintilating conversations on two meters during the day...that'll bring in some new blood.

2. KJ4QIL

KJ4QIL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have any respect for the hobby at all, you would bring your HT to work. It seems to me that you are ashamed of amateur radio, and I'd like to know why you even got your license to begin with. I hope you seriously reconsider why you became involved in the hobby, because I know many others, including myself, who enjoy listening listening to repeaters, and who would be more than happy and proud to take their HT's to work and show pride in the hobby that was HIS/HER CHOICE to join. Whether you earn or lose respect, you chose to join the hobby, not them or any else; only you.

Thanks and 73's,
    KI4ODK

3. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, they forgot the "O" in your call sign.

Get a clue.

4. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a Kenwood TK-3180 I take to work. Like ECI, if I didn't have mine I could not do my job....

5. KD8BIW

KD8BIW Ham Member QRZ Page

I take my HT to work at school almost every day. I use it to monitor my FD dispatch and the local club repeater during severe weather. This way I can keep the school up to date on the weather situation. Have fun and hope to hear you on the air next week!
    73 de Steve KD8BIW
    Echolink node# 278714
    145.750 PL 67.0
    co-owner KG8FV Repeater system
    224.580 PL 110.9 & 442.150 PL 88.5
    Proudly covering Ashland County!

6. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an interesting statement...none of the other hobbies I like to take part in place such an active role in trying to put on a good face to the public. There isn't a "Bring Your Tube Amp and Turntable to Work Day", because most people in the high-end audio hobby don't have a Chicken Little approach to it...or if they do, it's certainly not discussed at the level it is on ham radio forums.

There's a difference between being "ashamed" of something and not wanting to press it upon people that might not be receptive to it. Like it was mentioned before, either you get it, or you don't.

I'd bring my handheld to work, sure, but I don't expect to get any comments about it. After all, it's probably just a cell phone - and a big one at that, so what's the point? [​IMG] And I've got other things to do during the day than play with the handheld at work...notably, work...:D

~ Jim

7. WZ4I

WZ4I Guest

And that's the bottom line.

That's why I say invite your co-workers to Field Day. If they are interested, they will come.

But please, do not take your HT to the workplace, and interfere with "work".

8. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

"Now you leave me alone boss I am an ametuer radio op licenced by the government and this is part of my religion. As is field day!"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. WZ4I

WZ4I Guest

Only if he's has on one of those BIG ORANGE VEST!!!!

10. KJ8O

KJ8O Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it's all a matter of how we present ourselves. If your idea of ham radio is idle chatter and off color jokes, forget about trying to impress anyone. If you show people its usefullness for emergencies or hobby use (such as hiking, fishing, hunting, you name it....) then you're far more apt to catch some good attention.

I work in a medical clinic where we have to respect people's privacy, there's a ton of electronic equipment that I don't want to take any chances of causing interference, and I'm usually on a very tight schedule throughout the day - so I would not feel very comfortable participating in this particular event. But then again, we can use these ideas to get the word out in other ways.

Just my two cents....

11. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Give me a break...

I outgrew the HT-on-the-hip thing many, many years ago... sometime in my mid-twenties. Now I'm forty, and you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one -- unless it was required as part of a job.

If I want to be a geek, I'll do it on HF freq's now -- thank you very much.

12. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the hf HT :

15m

13. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

I bring my HT to work alot and when others do see it I get my Balls Broken. The only one who likes Radios is the Director of our Department and now he goes to my website to get local frequencies for his scanner. BTW He has a Shortwave Radio too.

14. KC2PRN

KC2PRN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new ham and I take my VX-2R with me all day long. I use it to listen to my volunteer fire department (which I am apart of) and talk to my fellow hams. So what is this dude talking about not bringing your ham to work is crazy. Already I have some of my coworkers interested in ham radios. And since I work for the post office, I showed my radio to some older hams and they were very happy.
    Now they want to get their radios out of the closet and go to field day.
        Now that is what I call the power of the radio. Holla @ me you stupid jerk who wrote that horrific letter. If you don't want to show your coworkers then you are not helping us and the public. We are here to help and show the public what hams are all about not being selfish and ignorant. Be a man and pick up your radio and show your friends, coworkers and the public. Believe you and me, I would like to say what I want to say now but I have respect for QRZ.COM, the FCC, and the people that reads this.

15. N0ZLD

N0ZLD Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't have to pick up your radio and show it off to get people interested in amateur radio. By simply talking about it as something I enjoy, every friend, co-worker and family member knows more than enough (or more than they'd probably care to know) about amateur radio. Bringing your HT into work has really little effect in my personal opinion. It's like a cross-stitcher bringing their needles and thread in.. sure you can see it hands on, but if the person was pretty serious about the hobby, chances are you didn't need to actually have them bring it in and do it to get you interested. That's just my personal thoughts.

The effect gained and the ability for you to even bring your HT to work really depends on your work environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.