ad: ProAudio-1

Storm Chaser, WJ0G Killed by Oklahoma Tornado

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9QZB, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad, I read about this on Yahoo the other day and the comments were pretty negative.

While I agree there is a difference between a chaser and a spotter, sometimes a fine line. Tim was not your typical chaser looking for that rush, Tims did it for research so we could better understand tornados and be better prepared. He was always safe as he could possibly be. He understood and knew very well the dangers of what the tornado could do and respected them very much.

Lets keep this classy, and respectful please.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for articulating this with great and sincere sensitivity---I was afraid we would not be able to discuss this, and it needs discussing.

My suggestion is to make it a $10,000 fine to *intentionally* drive into a region with a known tornado--say within 5km.

The best you can do in a tornado is RUN AWAY or become a troglodyte. I stuck one out inadvertantly at home in 1999. I looked out the window and wondered why the world suddenly all went HORIZoNTAL. Damn lucky the oak tree didn't squash me like a bug--even though I was inside.

If you want the thrill of being in a tornado then crawl into a dust devil--- 5-10 times slower but similar effect. Get it out of your system.

Tornadoes are DANGEROUS and science doesn't need you to stick your neck out. I don't buy into the 'science risk' story. Your opinion may differ.

Ham spotters are great...keep up the good work!

Chip W1YW

3. AB4HF

AB4HF Ham Member QRZ Page

The Washington Post reported:

"Samaras’s body was found in the car, still buckled in, and the other two victims were found half a mile to the east and half a mile to the west, the undersheriff said."

There was no mention of a traffic collision with another vehical.

4. WB9QVR

WB9QVR Ham Member QRZ Page

It would appear that someone is confusing two separate incidents. Storm chaser Andy Gabrielson was killed by a wrong-way driver in 2012 (see http://www.newson6.com/story/16678514/storm-chaser-killed-in-wrong-way-turnpike-accident). The three gentlemen we lost this past weekend were, by all credible reports, killed by a tornado which apparently took them by surprise.

Although there are some 'chasers' who are in it for the thrill and to possibly sell a video or two Tim and his crew were not of that ilk. It was clear from watching 'Storm Chasers' that Tim was all about the science. He was not the kind to take chances and would sometimes back out of a situation and risk losing data if things seemed to be going wrong. In fact he seemed rather disdainful of those whose mission was less scientifically-oriented.

Tim, Paul and Carl were good men on a mission to help others through scientific research. Their loss will be felt not only by their family and friends but also by the science of meteorology to which they made significant contributions.

5. WX4ET

WX4ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest In Peace, Tim Samaras, WJ0G, he was a fellow chaser and a great researcher in meteorology. He made all his own equipment to collect data when out in the field. He will be missed and also to his son, Paul and also to a great friend Carl Young.

6. WX4QN

WX4QN Ham Member QRZ Page

My deepest condolences to their family and friends.
    Now, to the reality of the situation that their immediate families are facing.
    Even if they had accidental death insurance on their property, businesses and lives it will be extremely difficult for their survivors to collect one red cent from a life insurance policy due to the circumstances of their deaths and the nationwide media attention that it has drawn.
    Once again, my sincerest and deepest condolences to family and friends.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. F4HCV

F4HCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Really sad news, we heard of this tragic event in the news yesterday in France.
    let me just comment on this:
    "The men worked as a team and Tim Samaras had received 18 grants from the National Geographic Society for work in the field."

as a researcher I also rather "chase funds" and I guess our passed away fellows did also. Aren't 18 grants just enough to do safe research without exposing a team and its group leader to lethal conditions ?

I think they are not only victims of their passion, grant-chasing is perhaps partly responsible.

RIP

8. WA4YL

WA4YL Ham Member QRZ Page

may Tim Paul and Carl Rest in peace

9. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

A tremendous loss to the sciences and the ham community. Rest In Peace.

10. N8MRC

N8MRC Ham Member QRZ Page

His brother didn't pass away...

11. UY7CW

UY7CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sorry about this tragic accident. Very sorry indeed... de EA4CWW/UY7CW

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The news reports today of meteorological measurements showed this at first under-estimated tornado to have had some atypical, incredible and record setting stats, ie, 2.6 miles wide, and 295 mile-per-hour peak winds! This totally explains the how the tragic fate of the victims was sealed. It was a super-natural storm.

What is really sad is reading the WJ0G biography on QRZ. Tim writes with nostalgia, unabashed openness and enthusiasm for life, and his renewed interest for ham radio. He had big plans and I certainly lament his loss to our community.

John - W0PV

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed this also. But you said it better than I could. Many thanks.

A 295 mph wind is like a continuous blast from a nuclear explosion. That may be the fastest natural speed ever recorded if verified.

Chip W1YW

14. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

First and foremost, condolences to the families of these gentlemen. Whatever the cause, losing family or friends and/or fellow Amateurs is always a sad thing to hear about.

As another poster stated, he was doing what he wanted to when he went. Isn't that better than just sitting in front of a television or computer, or radio for that matter, all the time? There is a whole lot more to life than most people ever savor, often because of fear and trepidation.

Again, sincerest condolences to all family & friends related to these individuals.

73, Vince -- NN5AA

Wife: "Honey, why do you still climb up on the roof when you're almost 60?"

Husband: "Because I can!":eek:

15. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

Absolutely rude...but then some hams do tend to engage their mouths before there brains...:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.