ad: ProAudio-1

Stanley H. Israel, WA2BAH SK Feb. 2, 2015 Schenectady NY Age 70

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

I had the pleasure of talking to Stan WA2BAH many times mostly on VHF and UHF. Stan was on one of the local repeaters the day before he passed away,
    talking about next weekend being on a 6m frequency for a local net.

He passed suddenly on Monday afternoon, Feb 2, 2015. Services were private.

Stanley Harold Israel
    Monday, February 2, 2015

Obituary of Stanley Israel

Services were held at the Levine Memorial Chapel on Wednesday, February 4, 2015
    - See more at: http://www.levinememorialchapel.com...ley_Harold_Israel/obituary.html#tribute-start

I got an email with the following.

Just wanted to share this with everyone...

Stan Israel, WA2BAH, has been licensed since 1958 and he has been 110% devoted to the hobby and to public service. My first contact with Stan was in the mid- to late-sixties, while he worked for a short time at ARRL. I met Stan personally in February 1969, at my first AARA meeting. By that Fall, Stan and his then-wife Nina hosted my girlfriend and me for dinner. Their kids, Marc and Amy, were fun! Stan let me borrow his car one weekend to take several of my friends to an Adirondack retreat.

Stan was Mr. Civil Defense (remember that?) in ‘69, and his enthusiasm was infectious. He was employed by WAST (Channel 13) then. In Winter ’69-’70, he and 3 others formed AST Communications (a 2-way radio company); to get cash-flow started, they established AST Sub Shop. I worked for both, but neither survived for long.

In April 1970, Stan ushered me in to be his replacement transmitter baby-sitter at WPTR; a few months later, he got me involved with WEEE (which became WQBK). I remained in broadcasting for years.

After my injury in 1977, Stan and his then-wife Stephanie visited me at my home in Latham.

Beginning about 1989, Stan was one of the most active VE’s around. …and he tutored many aspirants so that they would pass.
    [Twenty years earlier, Stan tutored many DJs and hams so that they could earn their first-class commercial licenses.]

Stan ran a DJ service at one time; his DJ service entertained at the AARA dinner in 1990.

I’ve mentioned “Nina” and “Stephanie.” I think there was even another XYL. Let’s not forget the person he cared for during the last 30 years, Michele Morrett. I’ve only heard him use the word “love” when talking about Michele.

I am very happy that James, N2UZQ, praises Stan for his work as an EC.
    Stan loved amateur radio as an important part of an emergency communications network. WA2BAH was an EC when I met him in 1969.

Thanks Bob W2XM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

73 K2HAT Lee

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. K2HAT

3. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My condolences to him and his family. I remember him on the air when I use to live in Albany, NY in the mid nineties.

Great at guy to chat with.

73. Greg KB2QQM

4. N2WSW

N2WSW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was working with Nina, Stan's then-wife, in 1969. I went to her home one Saturday, and saw Stan and a few friends feverishly working a worldwide contest. I really enjoyed all the energy and excitement! I became licensed many years later, and was thrilled to become reacquainted with Stan, to meet Michelle (KA2MCU), and to see Nina again on occasion. Stan was passionate, knowledgeable, and always helpful to hams everywhere. He—and his wonderful stories—will be missed!

Stan's family would love to have stories, video/audio files, photos, etc., about Stan's amateur radio career. I have set up a Yahoo account you can use to send memories: drdeesmith@yahoo.com.

73 and 88, Stan.
    de Denise, N2WSW

5. W2RFS

W2RFS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first became a ham Stan was the VE., Always talked with him on and off the air. Stan was Mr. Ham radio., 73's Stan RIP my friend.

6. N2WSW

N2WSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stan Israel's family (Nina is his ex, and the mother of his children) has sent me a message asking for lots of details about Stan's radio career. I don't have these answers, but would like to get them for her. I'm also posting this on the Capital Area Radio Enthusiasts" FB Open Group, and in the qrz.com SK Forum under Stan's name. Thanks for your assistance! 73 and 88 to all.

Here's the pertinent part of her message:

"... (W)e've been receiving the most beautiful condolence messages from so many hams....

"Given that my kids are still sitting shiva & cannot really do any work, I offered to write a proper obituary notice to place on the Levine Memorial Chapel web site.

"Stan was involved with so many aspects of ham radio & I cannot begin to remember them all. But I think it's important to mention the many, many ppl he taught code to & helped pass their tests. I'm hoping you can remember a few of the most important ham-related events of his life. If you could think of some, at least those you know of, I'll write them into the text of the obit.

"Do you remember when he started ham radio? Age 13, 14, 15??

"Here are a few things I remember & would you correct or add to the list what you think is most important?

"Teaching & testing code to pass the test. Which test(s)? Also was it hundreds of ppl or even 1000's of ppl?

"Did he win any special awards that are prestigious, not only contests, but an award that recognizes a special event or talent or emergency service?

"Do you know the years he worked at AARL? I think he started in 1965 or 66 (Amy was born in Newington, CT on 10/22/66 & I remember living there throughout my pregnancy). & I think his job ended in early 1967 (Mark was born in Albany on 12/31/67 so we were here)???

"Anything else that's special, I'll mention.

"I'm also going to put in the obit a place ppl can make donations in his memory. It'll be his synagogue that was his place of spirituality & solace for him. It will not be a request for donations--we don't do that when someone dies but rather it would say---if you would like to honor Stan, WA2BAH, in a special way, in lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Congregation Beth Abraham-Jacob, 380 Whitehall Rd, Albany, NY 12208 or the charity of one’s choice.

"I hope I'm not asking too much of you but you knew him in his greatest passion. If you'd like to consult with anyone, please do so.
    I'm asking that any thoughts, ideas, memories, information, awards, comments-even partial disjointed ones to be sent to my email address rather than through the FB message system. Via email is best for me to edit and then save all the information that's gathered.

"My email address is:
    nisrael18@gmail.com
    If ppl don't have a computer & want to call, my number is 518-482-3516...."

"To make it easier on you, you could send ppl who have info directly to me. Then you won't have to re-write what they tell you. It hopefully will save you a lot of time.

"Hoping to share only happy times in the future,

"Love,

Nina...."

7. K2HAT

Stan Was employed at the ARRL from Feb 15, 1966 till June 7, 1967.

He was a Clerk doing Contest Analysis and helping with DXCC Checking.

Thanks to ARRL Headquarters Personnel for the information.

8. K2HAT

My Condolences.

Here is the online Obituary from the Funeral Home.

Stanley Harold Israel
    Monday, February 2, 2015

Obituary of Stanley Israel

Services were held at the Levine Memorial Chapel on Wednesday, February 4, 2015 Stanley Harold Israel passed away on Monday, February 2, 2015. Stan was the son of Nathan and Bessie Israel of Albany, NY.

Stan had many interests during his lifetime, however, his greatest passion and lifelong achievement was his involvement with Amateur radio. Stan earned the respect and friendship of his co-workers and many around the ham radio world. Many friends have offered wonderful stories about Stan that reflected his fine character, sense of humor, genuine caring about other people, and his generosity with his time and resources.

Stan started his ham radio career as a Novice in 1958 and then progressed to Technician Class, WA2BAH in 1959, earning his General license in 1960. Stan continued his progress passing the Advanced and Amateur Extra licensing tests in 1968.

Stan followed his dream and moved to Newington, CT to work at ARRL Headquarters where he was employed as a Clerk doing Contest Analysis & helping with DXCC Checking until June 1967.

Stan was one of the most active Volunteer Examiners in the northeast; he tutored many hopeful ham radio operators to learn Morse Code in order to pass the Novice and Technician class exams. After Stan earned his FCC First Class Commercial License, he worked at WPTR, WQBK, WMHT and other TV and radio stations. He set an example for others to follow in his footsteps by helping hams to study this most difficult of all exams which is required to obtain technician work at any TV or radio station

The greatest tribute and Stan's proudest Ham moments came later in life when his fellow hams, all over the world, thought of him as "Mr. Ham Radio" or would fondly recall Stan as my “Elmer" (a mentor to those who are learning about Ham radio). Stan's happiest times were when he was involved with Ham radio in any way and at any time--the radio contests, chatting on VHF, tutoring young aspiring Hams, buying and selling ham equipment and working as a volunteer, in Schenectady County, helping to organize and implement an emergency response communication initiative.

Stan leaves a brother, Steven Israel of Albany, NY. Stan was blessed with two wonderful and devoted children: Emunah Sohn of Elizabeth, NJ (husband, Ron) and Mark A. Israel of Albany, NY (wife, Chana) and eight grandchildren. Stan also leaves his partner in life, Michele Morrett and Nina Israel, his former wife, beloved friend and mother of his children. Stan also leaves many loving cousins and his Aunt Minnie Geiger.

Stan's family wishes to acknowledge and thank the many family, friends, and ham radio operators who have offered condolence messages on the Levine Memorial Chapel web site as well as the many amateur radio remembrances about Stan on the QRZ ham radio forum.

In lieu of flowers or other tokens, those wishing to remember Stan in a special way can make a donation to Congregation Beth Abraham-Jacob, 380 Whitehall Rd., Albany, NY 12208 or to a charity of one's choice.
    - See more at: http://www.levinememorialchapel.com/tribute/details/1180/search-result/obituary.html#tribute-start

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.