ad: UR5CDX-1

Special Event: Autism Awareness Week with James Gallo KB2FMH

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W1DED, Mar 22, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_088_KB2FMHW2A_Thumbnail02.jpg
    James Gallo works tirelessly for ham radio. He seems to effortlessly, and simultaneously, support DXpeditions, Parks on the Air, and Special Events while also championing individual ham radio operators around the world. So, I wasn't surprised when James called to tell me about his recent efforts to create an international Special Event station (W2A is the American callsign) to support Autism Awareness during the week of April 1-7, 2024. James asked for an opportunity to talk about his plan in a short interview. If you want to learn more, go to W2A on QRZ. There will be information there on how you can sign up to support James and expand international awareness of autism.

KD9TED, VU2JO, KF7PCL and 6 others like this.
  2. W7VC

W7VC Ham Member QRZ Page

I always appreciate ham ops' efforts to increase people's awareness of all topics; it is a great way for us to contribute by using our skills and interests.

For those who are not familiar with the topic, I wanted to note that a good proportion of people in the autism community are not too fond of the puzzle-piece symbol for autism or referring to autism as a disease or an affliction. This is a big point of contention; I'm pleased to see that the W2A page actually fairly represents all sides of this controversy, and I hope we can be satisfied with that.

Thinking about controversies reminds me that one of the loveliest experiences of being a ham is being able to communicate civilly, cordially, and with enthusiasm with people who have very different perspectives from my own, with people who are from worlds that would not otherwise be welcoming of someone like me, even with people with whom I may not otherwise have been able to associate. I have a number of special event cards commemorating events I would never otherwise have thought to commemmorate. It is not an exaggeration to say that I missed out on decades of positive experiences, having put off being licensed for so long.

Jordan W7VC

VU2JO, VE3EEI, KI5UXW and 2 others like this.
  3. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for you positive comments Jordan, so many feel they must inject negativity when others do something intended to be good.

The premise of this on-air activity is to spread awareness that being affected / afflicted with any variant of ASD is Not a disability at all but rather a Different ability. Our Mantra is "It's OK to be Different" and the Puzzle Piece signifies that We, those who seek to foster acceptance and inclusion, are the Missing Piece - the ones that bring to light the unique abilities of many on the Spectrum as it were.

On our pages there are links to information about many people who have had great impact on the world despite being "Different" from what is perceived as The Norm.

If you would like to be a volunteer operator, follow the instructions Here > https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...e-2024-autism-awareness-week-activity.903694/

All help is appreciated.

VU2JO, K8NY, KI5UXW and 3 others like this.
  4. PF3X

PF3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for coordinating this James! Proud to be part of the worldwide activity with the Dutch team as PA24WAAD.

Through the world of ham radio we want to draw attention to the understanding, support and acceptance of people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Last year we spoke to a lot of HAMs with the diagnose themselves. Recognition, sometimes some words of support; exchange of experiences or just a nice conversation. Very positive vibes.

We challenge other amateurs to come on the air with a special call sign or join the existing ones to draw attention to this matter...

Laurens

VU2JO, W1DED and KR4EE like this.
  5. KC1MRZ

KC1MRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Love this! My son is autistic and I tried to get him in on the hobby but he keeps calling me a boomer nerd and rolling his eyes. It's fine though he's awesome.

K3DFD, KJ5DYT, W1DED and 1 other person like this.
  6. KB2FMH

Most are Awesome Dan, and that's what our on-air activity seeks to make people aware of.

Would you like to be an operator for us - we could sure use a station in NH to help cover the east coast / EU?

If so, send an email to hamradioevents @gmail.com and I'll send you the info about our operation.

W1DED likes this.
  7. KB2FMH

My Pleasure Laurens, and thank You for being part of it. I am excited to get the log from PA24WAAD this year knowing you guys put a lot of effort in for this activity!

PF3X and W1DED like this.
  8. PD0DP

PD0DP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, on which bands and modes are you guys active?

9. KK5UP

KK5UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't wait to get started. I have my information package ready to go. My Great Granddaughter has it, so this being my first special event this will be special.

10. KB2FMH

Likely 6 through 75 Jarno, ssb, cw, digi and our friend doing S76A will also use QO-100 Satellite.

PD0DP likes this.
  11. KB2FMH

Looking forward to many contacts Dave, thanks for volunteering.
    BTW, I was AF MARS - '86 ~ 91 doing phone patches. Now it's all ALE which I do not enjoy.

12. N1WT

N1WT Ham Member QRZ Page

The question is: Is he just being mean or ARE you a boomer nerd? :)

13. M0HEM

M0HEM Ham Member QRZ Page

14. KQ4GIK

KQ4GIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Timely post I just made my first contact last night with James. He was doing a POTA activation from Staten Island and I had wasn’t aware how active James was with amateur radio. Sounds like a great cause.

15. KB2FMH

Thanks Randall, I do spread myself around a bit with varied interests.
    I'm happy to have given you the park in SI, it is one of my favorite locations due to low RF noise and lack of people!

Why not join us for this global activity - it's real easy and I believe we mention the email address to use to volunteer. Any help is appreciated.

KQ4GIK likes this.