ad: elecraft

South Carolina Hams fight to amend homeowner association restrictions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5W, Mar 1, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC1NY

KC1NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a community right near us that voted (a number of years ago) to dissolve their HOA and all covenants.

KC3C and W3SLK like this.
  2. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's good that you don't have to move into one! The freedom that you feel must be overwhelming.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  3. W2AAT

And where is that community? You must have the old name prior to the elimination of the HOA...

4. KA2PTE

KA2PTE Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda absurd when you have billions of wireless / mobile devices all packed into street blocks to no end
    and those all have antennas. Being bathed in RF on a daily basis like that is at best a health science experiment.

WD4ELG likes this.
  5. KC3C

KC3C Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in a city row home, the neighborhood here was created during the First World War, long before HOAs were even thought about.

If you must live in one, I sympathize with you. Many areas of the country are absolutely loaded with them and it's almost impossible to find any property that isn't HOA encumbered.

I hope you're able to get out of an HOA neighborhood soon.

6. KC3C

KC3C Ham Member QRZ Page

If at all possible, never buy a property in an HOA restricted area.

W3SLK likes this.
  7. W2AAT

I saw your QTH on QRZ. No need of a lawnmower for sure. It must be concerning having neighbors only the distance of a cement block away....Always worrying if you are talking too loud....Good for you and sharing the same wall...I will take the HOA driven misery of having my neighbor at least ten feet or so away and having a front and back lawn. We don't have to whisper in our yard or take our dog down the street to some 20' x 20' grassy spot in our HOA!

BTW.. do you have to park your car on the street or do you have your own attached two or three car garage like most of us miserable folks in an HOA?

I don't think that many of us home owners in HOA's will give up what they have for what you have!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. W2AAT

10. K0UO

It's an ongoing topic today which is constantly talked about.

So how many of us, do or do not live in restricted neighborhoods?

W3SLK likes this.
  11. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO, no HOA's out at your place is there? ;)

K0UO likes this.
  12. K0UO

No HOAs, but I do have Tower restrictions because I live on an public airport.

W3SLK likes this.
  13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Where I reside now, the subdivision had a simple one page CC&R document that was mostly about the numbers and type of livestock that was allowed. One of the provisions was that they expire in ten years unless the homeowners voted to keep them. It was before my time here, but I was told that nobody even wanted to hold a vote, lol!

K0UO likes this.
  14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Purchased the house in 1996 and noticed an announcement in the local paper about a tower ordinance proposed by the local government.

Went to the municipal building and spoke to the town manager and told him of my concerns. He indicated the proposal was all about cell phone towers, and they had no requirements for ham radio towers and had none planned. I doubt there has been any change.

K0UO likes this.
  15. N6WNG

N6WNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I would watch the issue carefully anyway. Whatever language they come up with to ban cell towers might well also accidentally ban amateur radio towers.

Tim

K0TWA, N0TZU, K3XR and 2 others like this.