ad: Retevis-1

SOPA MUST BE STOPPED

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. J85K

J85K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tim_KT7F,

In your opinion; would a Yaesu Vertex Standard now Yaesu Musen picture or document used by any amateur radio operator in a public Internet space, be considered an illegal use of the company's intellectual property rights?

My reading of SOPA, PIPA and other pending legislation is that they are constructed "too gray" in language to protect the 'legitimate' hobby experimenter and hosting websites such as QRZ from sanction.

I consider myself to be one of the 'good' guys! I may well fall under US jurisdiction simply for connecting through a server located in your country.
    Is the aim of these laws to dismantle Internet commerce?
    If NOT, the US government would better benefit itself dealing with the perceived/real industrial espionage being undertaken by Pacific Rim nations to its disadvantage. Can SOPA, protect Boeing, from a 777 being bought, disassembled and reverse engineered?

Always a pleasure to interact with you. All the best for 2012!!

(Did the FT9000Z suggestion go anywhere?)

Best regards,

Kumar_J85K (ex-J88CF)

2. N6OTQ

N6OTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, I dunno, most Americans get enough weather-related outages that it's a pretty good idea to have battery backups. I do a lot of work-from-home and while my broadband provider has battery backups, they only extend to the service entrance gear. So when the lights go out, my broadband goes down -- until I dig out the "McGuyver" power cable I made last year to hook my broadband modem and wireless router to the battery out of my Dodge truck. The laptops run on their batteries until the power comes back on or until I hook the truck battery to the inverter, charge 'em up, get the battery out of the Ford, and put the Dodge battery back in for long enough to recharge it.

If I didn't live on the third floor, I'd have a more extensive battery system. I just don't like hauling all that lead upstairs, unless I have a powerful motivation -- like keeping my billable hours going.

We have one or two significant power outages a year here in Austin TX. My system is adequate for my needs. If I lived out in the boonies, I'd have something a lot more extensive and robust.

Jim N6OTQ

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Now SOPA is shutting down the power grid? :eek:

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Brings to mind the current worry that all things critical can be subverted via the web. Power. Phones of both types, Banks, Military, etc. I've had the good fortune to have seen good physical security in place in utility operations 20 years ago and in US defense/weapons complex systems 10-plus. Physical separations of operations control and classified communication/control elements from the Internet. And, those systems routed not using the public Internet.....or even next to one another.

Yet, we have our media making a big deal out of virtually how easy it is/would be to use the Internet to 'do-in' selected targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.