ad: portazero-1

Solar Panels for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VU2JO, Dec 23, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio operators are also moving on to solar panels for running their amateur radio stations. At one extreme we have hams located in remote regions with no availability of electric power from the grid, who have to depend solely on solar energy. More often it is solar energy supplementing power supply from the grid. Another popular use of solar panels in ham radio is for portable operations.

I am just thinking whether I should move on to solar power supply for my ham station, though I am yet to operate portable. At present I have just tried solar garden lights and gate lights which are quite cheap and cute as well.

Would like to hear from many of you who are already using solar energy for ham stations.

2. KJ5CTX

KJ5CTX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm exploring the same topic. Thanks for posting the video. Watching thread.

VU2JO likes this.
  3. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I power my station exclusively with solar power. I have four panels going through a controller that charges a home-brew power wall made of repurposed 18650 cells. I feed the 28-volt output to my station and use a voltage regulator to bump it down to 13.8 volts. I can use my 100W rig for a while, but I operate almost 100% QRP so I never run out of power, even today with the solstice.

VU2JO likes this.
  4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

4 Kilowatts PV directly charging Flooded Lead Acid batteries here.
    16 batteries, total rated capacity 1600 Amp-hours, 24 volts nominal.
    Parallel stacked Outback Power Inverters run the house.
    . Radios run on a small 100 Amp-Hour AGM battery, with a 30 Amp float charger.

VU2JO likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

It won't pay for itself (radios don't really use much power), but it's a rich area to explore and satisfying project to assemble.

VU2JO likes this.
  6. WL7PM

My batteries will keep my deep freeze, refrigerator, well pump, clothes washer and ACOM-2100 running when the utility grid power fails.
    Your cost vs benefit equation differs from mine.

VU2JO likes this.
  7. VU2JO

You are most welcome! 73 de VU2JO

8. VU2JO

Any idea if it is possible to run an HF radio directly on a 12 V solar panel without using battery or controller? I have good amount of sunlight on my small balcony just outside the shack and I am in the tropics. Just a thought to cut down the initial cost. I was wondering whether I could use the solar panel during sunlight time and my linear power supply rated for 50 W which I use for my VHF radio at other times, to run HF on QRP. Would like to know from you or anyone who has tried it out.

73 de VU2JO

K9NUD likes this.
  9. WL7PM

PV modules ( AKA Solar Panels) designed for charging nominal "12 Volt" batteries typically produce open circuit voltage in the 21 to 22 volt range, and you are strongly advised NOT to directly connect sucha voltage source to your radio equipment.
    Run the transceiver from a cheap, common, easily obtained Lead Acid battery.
    Garden tractor or 4 wheeler/ motorcycle battery will run your radio safely for most of a day.
    You can charge that with your solar panel- with or without a regulator.

KF5KWO and VU2JO like this.
  10. VU2JO

I have been hearing 'Flooded Lead Acid batteries' for some time. Your post prompted me to find out what they are! Yes, I am using them for home inverter. I was thinking it as a 'Tubular battery' as that is how it is known in this region, compared to automotive batteries. In the short reading process I came across Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) mentioned by you. Short listed that for next 'reading episode'!

11. VU2JO

Low cost solar panels for lower power rating are also there. I was wondering whether it could be used exclusively for the radio, if possible directly without an interface? Please excuse my ignorance as I am just delving into it.

12. VU2JO

That should be a high power one. One of my relatives uses an on grid solar system and he says most of the time he has surplus energy which he 'sells' to the grid!

13. VU2JO

That is a great piece of advice. I was not aware of this fact. As I am yet to purchase one, I was under the impression that 12 V solar panels will give an output of 12 V. You have really saved my radio from a possible definite damage. I shall check the open circuit voltage once I buy a solar panel and of course use other systems mentioned by you. Thank you very much. 73 de VU2JO.

KF5KWO likes this.
  14. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not tried it, but I doubt it. Maybe QRP, but even then it would need to be regulated. It doesn't need to be costly. Discarded 18650's are everywhere. Ali Express has a variety of solutions to join them in series/parallel and balance the charging. Even that role could be scavenged from other discarded hardware like electric drill batteries and chargers. The solar charge controller is your only expense, and that can be cheap. You need power when a cloud blocks the sun or for evening ops. Storage will be necessary.

VU2JO likes this.
  15. VU2JO

Thank you for the suggestions. 73 de Jon, VU2JO