ad: QSLWorks-1

Should LOTW be mandatory for ARRL / CQ / RSGB / DARC and other contest? (Ham Radio and QSLing)

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by SQ5EBM, Feb 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. SQ5EBM

SQ5EBM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was to publish it last night but just had no time. So... just another one of my vids ;-) This time on QSLing.
    My stand on the issue of $$$ for QSLs and refusing to use LOTW. My stand on those "Papillon soo soos*" of our hobby. We pay, they do us goooooood. No need to agree :). It is just the way i feel about it and from a perspective of a country that does not have the internet blocked for LOTW ;-). I know it might make some ppl angry, i know i can be an as*hole sometimes ;-). Some will confuse $$ for QSL with offical sponsoring/donating to an expedition (i am fine with donating/supporting ... there, imho, is a difference in approach).
    *hint for the millenials - it is a Full Metal Jacket reference :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  2. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

LOTW has killed the traditional art of QSLing
    ARRL only created to combat EQSL back in early 2000 I think it was

3. SQ5EBM

SQ5EBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it is so. I never looked at it that way. Maybe because i simultaneously tx/rx paper cards via teh bureau and have tons of 'em stored in photo albums. With the COVID and QSL Bureaus/postal services being closed/stopped LOTW is sure making the difference.

4. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe for you but my LOTW qsl return rate is only 7% at best whereas traditional paper QSL is so much higher like 35%

5. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

My only interest is in paper QSL cards. I was uploading to LOTW & eQSL as a favor for those that want it. But as of 2021 I'm done uploading - I get nothing out of it and I rarely receive paper cards. I will be happy to upload by special request, just put a note on the PAPER QSL that you send to me!

I don't contest often and I send paper logs when I do. If digital was required it would be an automatic ignore.

AA1PR likes this.