ad: QSLWorks-1

Security Alert in HAM RADIO? WinAPRS HACKED

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Apr 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats Right, Security Alert in Ham Radio. WinAPRS has been HACKED and this exploit can be done over the air waves. Should you be Worried? Are you Worried, tell you what you think.

Frank L.

KM6KPW, WA5TRO, K4NXS and 2 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up, Franklin... I don't use APRS but thanks for letting us know!

KG5AHJ likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

For those that prefer to read and have some depth on this - Hacking Ham Radio: WinAPRS – Part 1 - Coalfire - a multipart, text based, series on APRS, how it works and how the exploit works.
    This work is somewhat dated as it features Wun10.

HB9EPC, K8XG, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  4. KG5AHJ

I link to that article also. Mostly my point is, lets start taking security in this hobby more seriously. With more and more digital mode being created lately, then everyone just hooking up their radio to the computer. We should take second and start building in some protection before someone bad bites us.

Yes this HACK is dated using an old OS, but lets learn from this so it doesn't happen again.

VA3MIU, HB9EPC, N3RYB and 4 others like this.
  5. KG5AHJ

No problem, i know it couldn't wait to a normal release to be published. We all need to start thinking about security with your digital modes.

W4SPO and KQ1V like this.
  6. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Franklin,

You specify XP as the weak link in the chain. How about Win-Vista?
    Is this exploit/vulnerability likely to be found in this, the most neurotic and security conscious OTT Operating-System from more recent times?
    See, I have a WinVista 64-bit OS on a pretty fast Core2 Duo PC with an early nVidia GPU Accelerator that makes it useful for legacy installations of Photoshop 7, for instance.
    And being a slow country-boy; I'm not intending to get rid of it. Vista really was
    a security obsessives' dream come true. What do you think of running WSJT
    and others like PSK-31, or PC-Ale on a Win Vista OS, given what you've read?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  7. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

OEM Support for Windows Vista ended 6 years ago, so there will be no more updates to address new and emerging threats.

8. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I know that! When I say "Slow Country Boy" I'm not trying to conjure in your mind a picture of a Tennessee Farm-boy with a straw hat and suspended breeches/dungarees, on his way to the Square-dance!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    K4XJ likes this.
  9. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh? The point is that if you are concerned about security, use an operating system that is current and still receiving updates.

K7NGS, NE4AM, K8HIT and 1 other person like this.
  10. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm, I do not see how that effects' real HAM radio, do you? Now if you are a keyboard jockey is a different story.
    More and more young folks are working keyboards, will not be long the Keyboard operators will need to come up with there own name for there hobby.
    Ok bring on the hate mail, I will be sure not to read them. 73 to all Ham Radio operators.

W0HP, KJ7WSL, DL6SEZ and 3 others like this.
  11. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a VPN, solved!

12. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting the article and link.There's always some maggot who actively searches for something to destroy. OTOH - No malware detected in my straight key or the Vibroplex and my Morse decoder operates on coffee at normal speeds or Scotch at slower speeds.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

KD7CFM, WA9WSJ, N5MJ and 6 others like this.
  13. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are we Paranoid yet ?

K3DFD and K9TDW like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

A show of hands, please, of all those still using XP...

...uh huh. Just as I thought.

VA3MIU, K4SOW, KL7KN and 5 others like this.
  15. WC6Q

WC6Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Grammar. It's a thing.

W1AEO, N1RBD, N4CAX and 5 others like this.