ad: AbAuRe-1

Sad Hamfest this year

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports' started by KA5ROW, Sep 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Same reason Hamfests were dying. SK's. However, since this thread was started I think Hamfests in general are on a minor comeback. Why? eBay and Craiglists being a bad place for the inexperienced to buy things, so many got burned. I've done well, but only because I know what to look for and what to avoid. So many people are returning to Hamfests to actually see what they are buying.

So enough on this old bumped thread.

KD5RJZ likes this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

caution_old_thread_2016.jpg

K2HAT likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

WoW.

I did not know he was a SK :(

4. W0JPO

W0JPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Went to a hamfest in Wichita last weekend. Aside from there being way fewer tables than the Salina, KS state convention swap meet a month earlier, it was depressing how everyone there was 40+ years old. NO KIDS. Man, I was saving my paper route money and buying Heathkits when I was 14, got my ham license at 15, etc you know the story. Now, kids have no time for a hobby, it's all sports, video games, and consuming our crap culture here in the USSA. But I digress. Found a great bargain on an Astron 35M, and enjoyed talking to those who attended about what they're doing, etc....

Ham radio is still the greatest hobby in the world, in my opinion. Not to mention, wireless is my career, and a great one at that, thanks to those days sniffing solder flux when I was a kid!

5. W0JPO

W0JPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry about the silent key, however the topic is still relevant, no?? Hamfests being somewhat less of a thing than they used to be.

Meant to reply to the "this is an old thread" comment above this one.

W5TTW likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think so, and I also think the OP (may he rest in peace) would agree.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sad to hear of KA5ROW's passing as well; didn't know that.

Anyone know what happened, there?

I still like "hamfests." Some have swap meet/flea market sections, some don't. But the gathering of hams who all have at least one thing in common is a good social event.

We have a lot of "mini-hamfests" when it's a local ham's birthday or something. I'm going to one in two weeks at W6YLZ's house as Miguel turns 75, and his XYL made it a party and invited lots of local hams to attend.

Any time we can break bread with other hams and swap lies about the big ones that got away is a fun time.

WN1MB and KB4QAA like this.
  8. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KE4CIJ

KE4CIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't attended a HAM fest in years simply because the last one I had gone to was terrible and not to mention what showed up was some of the most dishonest people I had ever seen at a Ham Fest. I had gone to many ham fests over the years and had never had such a bad experience. 99% of the time the folks I dealt with were as honest and truthful about their items as they could've have been at prior ham fests. That said, the last ham fest I went to reminded me of a Political Event simply due to the lies told by some of the folks selling their wares. That was my last visit. I wanted to go this year and give it another try but I have been sick and wasn't able so maybe I can go to an upcoming event.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a fair amount of dancing...

KJ4VTH likes this.