ad: Radclub22-1

S.3690

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WB4AEJ, Feb 19, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Senator Roger F. Wicker of Mississippi has a proposed new bill (S.3690) that would provide relief to amateur radio operators who are prevented [or unnecessarily restricted] from installing an antenna on their own premises in HOA and other managed residential communities.
    I would encourage you to call your Senators and Representatives and ask them to support S.3690. You may look up their contact information on https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm and https://www.house.gov/representatives .
    Whether you call, FAX, or email them, prepare your statement so that can you read it or it can be read clearly by the intended recipient(s).
    If you phone, speak clearly and slowly so that their staff member understands and knows what to do about it.
    Earlier today, I sent [via their contact forms] a written statement to both of Arizona's Senators and the Representative in my district.
    So that you might have an example of what to say, I am posting it below.
    But I would encourage you to customize it a bit. If they keep getting exactly the same message over and over, it won't be received as well as if each person submitted their own thoughts and ideas.
    Be sure to include a salutation of 'Senator' or 'Congressman' [as appropriate] at the beginning. Please share this posting with other radio amateurs.

Senator (or Congressman) ,
    My name is ____________.
    I am contacting you regarding the proposed Amateur Radio Emergency Preparedness Act (S.3690) introduced by Senator Roger F. Wicker of Mississippi.
    Amateur radio has had a long and proud tradition and track record of providing emergency communications in conjunction with the emergency preparedness services of federal, state, and local governments.
    Additionally, it provides outlets for gaining experience with many modes of radio communication. With this experience, it can be a stepping stone into a promising career in various radio and computer technologies.
    It has also allowed amateur radio operators from many different nations to make new friends via radio, share their thoughts and ideas, and enhance international goodwill.
    Through the M.A.R.S. (Military Affiliate Radio Service), they are able to work with the various military branches to provide a means for our military personnel to stay in touch with their families while they are deployed. They can also provide radio support for certain military activities.
    There have been many instances of resistance to amateur radio operators in HOA neighborhoods. These communities quite often try to prohibit the installation of amateur radio antennas on properties in their neighborhoods.
    Since amateur radio is a personal radio service [and may not be used for any commercial activities], they should be allowed reasonable latitude to install a radio antenna on their own premises.
    Additionally, the residents of that community will be very glad that antenna is in their neighborhood [in the event of a national emergency when telephone and Internet communications have been knocked out].
    This new act would require HOAs and other managed communities to reasonably accommodate amateur radio operators for partaking of their radio activities.
    There are approximately three quarters of a million licensed radio amateurs in the United States alone. Worldwide, there are nearly three million.
    I would ask and encourage you to support S.3690.
    Please vote 'yes' on bill S.3690.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.

https://www.arrl.org/news/senators-...s-3690-to-eliminate-private-land-use-restrict

KF5KWO likes this.