ad: cq2k-1

RTL (Radio Luxembourg) Ends Longwave Service (234 kHz)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9GB, Feb 21, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

But these happened at the bottom of solar cycle 22 and 23 because the D layer was less ionized.

ITAL7 and KR3DX like this.
  2. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I should clarify that broadcast TV is anonymous ONLY if you watch it on a TV that is not connected to the internet. If you watch a "smart" TV and it's internet connected, it's reporting everything that you watch, what time you watch it, etc.

PY2NEA likes this.
  3. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dennis (KR3DX):

It's much, much , much worse than that!

You're forgetting cellphone voice stream monitoring (even when not making a call): "Hey, Google!" and "Siri", automatic home services that do the same: Alexa, TV voice remotes, etc., high-res traffic cams that most cities now use. It's pretty much everywhere, as is information you've voluntarily posted. Privacy is a difficult thing nowadays. Even those who head to Alaska for a little of it find monitoring happening there.

So - basically - we have to live with it, for all its benefits, and see how regulation/law/technology works out to a balance. Welcome to Century 21. No need to panic quite yet.

Brian - K6BRN

KR3DX likes this.
  4. VE3RXN

VE3RXN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Radio Canada International transmiiters went off the air in 2014.. for a variety of cost cutting and political reasons. What the funding agencies failed to recognise is that LW / SW AM broadcast is a valuable way of sharing your national story, culture & news over radio. It is a form of soft-power and global education. Canada is not on the radar in many places around the world and we lost a voice when RCI went off the air. No surprise to me that despite an intense and costly diplomatic push, Canada has lost its bid for a coveted seat on the United Nations Security Council in 2020, largely decided by African nations who opted for Norway and Ireland. AM is everywhere in Africa and folks there still use it to listen o the world. Technology advances and there are ever evolving message transmission methods, but if you shut down methods, people can't be surprised when the messages fail to land because nobody can hear it.

2E0CIT, AC0OB, KX4O and 2 others like this.
  5. KT6KT

KT6KT Ham Member QRZ Page

While living in Europe in the 40's and 50's, I listened to RTL as an alternative to the continuous propaganda (a la NPR) of Radio France. RTL can now be heard in Europe on FM, DAB, and satellite.

PY2NEA likes this.
  6. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Rightly remembered! RTL is a breeze of fresh air when compared to biased RFI.

Oliver

7. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Ihr Ignoranten, dass wahre Ende.

8. AA5IT

AA5IT Ham Member QRZ Page

or, five Americans...

9. G0LQZ

G0LQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought this may have happened. I have listened to these broadcasts for years and have a radio in the kitchen and always used to listen to RTL. I remember turning the radio on on January 1st and silence. Sad indeed as I also used to listen in my car. In England, not surprisingly RTL or other French stations are not available on DAB! Sad indeed.

PY2NEA likes this.
  10. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

There are so many digital stations in the UK on air. I checked your postcode in the station list of DAB UK. So I found

Absolute Radio 8x times
    BBS 13x times
    BFBS
    Capital 4x times
    Heart 7x times
    Jazz 2x times
    Magic 5x times
    Virgin 5x times

and much more, which is always present for you.

To some of these stations I listen to weekly. Especially BBC1 with the programme of Pete Tong and Radio 2 with Pick of the Pops.
    What do you miss? A french longwave station? lol And in the UK the offer of different stations at medium wave is big too.
    I cant see anything to miss.

11. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing I would miss would be the cricket! For many years, my wife and I would go to South West France on holiday every summer, driving down from Calais. It's a long drive and quite boring but BBC Radio 4 LW was receivable all the way down. Our trips usually corresponded with the Test Match season and I would break the boredom listening to the commentary.

Martin (G8FXC)

DO1FER likes this.
  12. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Question:
    On the Utah SDR I almost aways hear “SLE” send over and over in CW at 221 kHz; never anything else.

Of course it is probably a beacon (?), but Does anyone have any insight into this signal?

13. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a fairly up-to-date list of beacons: https://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm

I don't see SLE, but HLE is listed at 220kHz. All beacons transmit tone modulated AM, not CW,, so maybe that's why it appears to be at 221kHz. It's also possible that the code generator has become corrupted and is sending an S instead of an H. I can't find any other plausible explaination.

W5WTH likes this.
  14. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

salt lake emergency ? I see slow Cw H L E on 219k on Utah sdr

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  15. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

200 to 430 kHz: Used primarily for navigational beacons with Morse code IDs.

Long-Wave Radio Beacons
    https://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm

Frequency (kHz): 220
    Callsign: HLE
    Geographic: USA, ID
    City: Hailey
    Power (Watts): 50 (low power)
    Latitude: 43° 19’ 45” (N)
    Longitude: -114° 14’ 33” (W)

Central Idaho, Blaine county, Wood River valley
    Friedman Memorial Airport, for Sun Valley/Ketchum resort area.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    W5WTH likes this.