ad: M2Ant-1

Robert S. Winters, WB4BMM, SK September 27, 2013

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K3RW, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who lived in East Tennessee, Steve was a legend of DX contesting for decades. As a longtime Amateur Extra he amassed an enviable QSL card collection and was always willing to help a fellow ham. I fondly remember his encouragement for me to get my license. He was a CW master and could pound the brass with the best of them. I had to wait until the CW requirement was dropped for the Tech + license before I could finally become licensed. Quite a few years later the FCC dropped the CW requirement and I finally upgraded from Tech + to Extra in 2015, and joined him and my dad as fellow Extras. Its too bad that it took me so long and he was already gone. But his legend lives on.

I vividly remember the old ham shack that sprawled all over the downstairs in their Jonesborough house, and later occupying a sizeable area in a bedroom in their Mississippi house. Destructive lightning strikes that ate equipment and Hurricane Katrina that destroyed their home did their best to keep him off the air, but his enthusiasm for amateur radio never waned. His competitiveness with my dad, K4pVA, also a longtime Amateur Extra, made for many interesting conversations.

Things took a turn in 2009 when it became apparent that something was not right. Post-Katrina stress, fatigue, something else, it wasn't clear what was affecting Steve. There is no definitive test for Pick's Disease--its rather a battery of tests that rule out everything else that leave it as the only diagnosis. His short term memory was essentially none, new tasks were impossible to learn or retain, and long term memory was slipping. He was forced to medically retire from his job as a chemist and struggled through treatments and medical appointments to the Mayo Clinic. Nothing seemed to work, and that's one of the struggles with Pick's Disease. It is very similar to Alzheimer's Disease, typically striking much sooner in life, and with an aggressive decline of around 4-6 years. Quite possibly he had been struggling for a while.

The disease is horrible, and this post is a celebration of his life, not his disease. In his true spirit of a scientist he wished that his body be donated to research so that others may benefit.

Those who knew Steve well will remember his unique sense of humor, his affinity for his family, and a ferocious appetite. He was a youth soccer referee for many years and raised two daughters with his wife Cindy. He was a friend to many and we still struggle with losing him. Below is a copy of his obituary.

May we meet again on the airwaves of the universe Steve. You're out there somewhere. --73

Winters, Robert Steven
    62, died September 27, 2013 in Mesa, Arizona after a long battle with Frontotemporal Degeneration. Mr. Winters was born in San Antonio, TX but resided in Elizabethton and Johnson City, TN, Ocean Springs, MS and Mobile, AL. He was a graduate of University High and East Tennessee State University with degrees in Organic Chemistry and Business Administration. He was a senior chemist with National Marine Fisheries in Pascagoula, MS. Steve was preceded in death by his parents, Robert Ray and Charlotte Sue Winters, of Elizabethton, TN. He is survived by his wife of 37 years, Cynthia Winters, Mobile, AL; two daughters, Jennifer Hedrick (Dustin), Queen Creek, AZ, Whitney Mosley (Benjamin), Mobile, AL; six grandchildren, Adrianna and Drake Hampton, Breanna Mosley, Reid, Dax and Jentry Hedrick; one brother, Gregory Winters (Sally), Vancouver, Washington and several nieces, nephews and extended family. A special thank you to the E.A. Roberts Alzheimer's Center, Mobile, AL, the Jones Family Care Home, Mesa, AZ and Reflections Hospice, Mesa, AZ. Mr. Winters chose to donate his remains to research hoping to help and eventually find a cure for FTD. A memorial service will be planned later. In lieu of flowers the family requests donations be sent to the E.A. Roberts Alzheimer's Center, 169 Mobile Infirmary Blvd., Mobile, AL 36607. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?pid=167196487#sthash.3B84YUOM.dpuf