ad: elecraft

RFinder now finds repeaters over routes world wide!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7BNW

W7BNW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using RFinder for several years now. Both the android app and the website. We travel around the States in our motor home and it is a great tool. I download the file to my computer and import the data into my Kenwood V71 programming software, then off I go. This update is a fabulous step forward. Keep it up Bob!!

de W7BNW

2. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much Brian! Appreciate your support!

3. W2CYK

I just saw your updates...approved them and pushed them up to the web...please have a look and make sure they are OK...

Make sure to refresh your browser in case you don't see them ;) or look on your device LOL...

TX again for your support!

Bob

4. W2CYK

Hi Bernie...

Tx for your comments. As I have said before, No list perfect. However...

I looked at your query and there is one dupe. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I pruned it out already. It'll be pushed up with the next batch of updates...

K4TS is listed the same in several lists. Why? The club does not publish the coordinates. They list them as "A communication tower facility in Spotsylvania County..." so until a user requests an update there she stays LOL...

For RFinder to be useful the repeater location has to be close, but does not have to be spot on. In fact, many repeater owners deliberately mis-publish coords for their security purposes. So yes, many locations are slightly shifted, by design of their owners. The app still finds them in your footprint because we load a large radius in your device and as you choose how much to show. In your case 20 miles. So you found it, the app did it's job.

With over 50000 machines in 170+ countries, we are the largest list by far in the world. Our model is based on users submitting changes when they find them.

I left your access up...please take a couple of minutes on web.rfinder.net and submit the changes you mentioned. Thanks for having a look!

BTW This announcement was for http://routes.rfinder.net, a new way of finding repeaters over a route worldwide. Please have a look while your access is still live! Here is a screenshot of Fredricksburg to Savannah, for instance!
    Fredricksburg to Savannah.png

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  5. KU0L

KU0L Ham Member QRZ Page

unfortunately for Mr. Greenburg I am not any more than a disgruntled customer that asked for a refund and was ignored. I have no connection to repeaterbook, the arrl, or artsci but all of these are far more accurate in my findings that the "For Profit" Rfinder.

6. W2CYK

Sorry you're disgruntled. Explains everything. We ignore no one. Send me your receipt and I'll take care of this asap
    W2cyk@rfinder.net
    73s
    Bob

7. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not personal towards this guy but i wanted to share with the audience his letter to me. I like the free repeater book app that is on my android device and competitive is part of being a business owner to provide a product not excluding every other out in the business market. Please don't send me angry letters in your dislike of my opinion but i thought to share with the group. While i can understand those who put 'work' in making the product work but it's us consumers who will buy it and in today's economy not many of us have to buy your product while the competitive is cheaper or free to use. Since heck the word you used toward me is what reminds me of someone wanting to use the word hell with feeling upset you must realize your company is not the only one out there and i have freedom of expressing my opinion. Whether or not you like it is totally upon your shoulders but i hope good ventures in your product either way. No further response required, be civil about it and focus your energy upon that product your pushing.

Hi Keith...

Just curious why in heck you would mention a competitive directory on our important and exciting announcement? We work hard to create these enhancements, pushing the limits of what a directory can do...not sure why you would want to bring to light a free product that has basic functions that aren't even close to RFinder when we are announcing something really exciting on ours.

I know you are skeptical, but we have really created a great system. I hope you will take a serious look at what we have done.

Bob/W2CYK

8. W2CYK

Hi Keith...thanks for sharing my private note to you with the world...I know you must have felt pretty big by posting it! I was not berating you just asking why you would try to minimize our hard "work" as you call it by sending potential users to another site. We aren't excluding anyone, but it's not my job to promote free lists. It's my job to create a great system and promote it! So anyway...

We provide value add on repeater data by creating new, exciting and ground-breaking capabilities around repeater data. You may not realize this, but maintaining the worlds largest directory is real work. Creating systems and software and value is real work and costs real money. We ask for a small contribution of 86 cents/month to help pay the bills and many times offer our specials that bring it down to 56 cents/month. Way less than a cup of coffee, a bargain, especially in this deplorable economy...and it goes to a great cause...a complete snapshot of the world's repeaters (and in some small way stimulating the Amateur Radio economy)!

I was inviting you to have a look at our demos and see what we have created, so you would know what you were trying desperately to distract everyone from. I gave you the URL to some of our demos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rfinder which (oddly) you excluded from your share. The "heck" part was a meaningless intensifier and had nothing to do with "hell" or "upset". Just was asking you as to why you would deliberately try to distract from our very exciting announcement. I mean, you say you have nothing personal against me, but you do something malicious and deliberate (twice now LOL)...its just weird (bizarre?). I know you are doing the best you know how and that is all we can expect. Anyway, as you said, please don't make angry letters of your dislike of my opinion of your actions. This is not an angry letter.

Anyway, this announcement was about our new exciting routing capabilities in RFinder Web at http://routes.rfinder.net ...we decided over the weekend to add it to our apps because of the overwhelming response we got in emails from our fans to use this to preload their devices with a route. Here is a screenshot of a route so you can see what it does...in case you missed it...pretty cool, eh?
    signalhill-vanvouver via winnipeg etc.png

73's and all the best...

Bob/W2CYK

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.