ad: cq2k-1

Resonant Frequency of Antennas - Jim W6LG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by ZS1SBW, Dec 28, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK3AUX

VK3AUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Rig Expert antenna analyser is probably 6 years old now. It is an absolutely awesome piece of kit, so convenient and useful, I can't praise them enough. An analyser takes all the guess work out. Nothing beats a resonant antenna.

K0UO likes this.
  2. KR2C

KR2C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I read your reply................................yawn

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I 've burned out three tuners in the last 10 years. Two of them used FR4 on the roller inductors . The oldr Heathkits (what is it,,, models 2030?)are real concenrns, IMO.

If you are QRO then this becomes a major consideration. Most burn outs happen because of a voltage max on the roller inductor or variable caps --to ground. Dielectric breakdown or poor placement of the components for ground isolation.

A tuner has a frequency dependent insertion loss. It can be as high as a dB or more. I know: I've measured the insertion loss with a VNA on 4 tuners in the last 12 years. Typically a tuner will have about 0.1-0.5 dB insertion loss at HF. Depends which one. Depends on the load impedance (and thus the match).

Coax vs twin lead is not the topic here...its a matter of tuning and tuners and resonance.

Chip W1YW

Chip W1YW

4. K0TWA

K0TWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

His measurements include the feed line and connectors. He also states that no initial calibration is required.
    These statements don’t completely invalidate his conclusions, however, his assumptions are not without shortcomings.
    Better measurements of the ANTENNA would have warranted calibration measurements to the antenna-end of the feedline before making the final measurements. I’m not familiar with this particular instrument, but normally one would check calibration before testing, by attaching an Open-Short-Load at the end of the cable where it attaches to the device-under-test, to “offset” the effects of the cable.

That’s my two-cents.
    Nicole K6AEA

W1YW and WD4ELG like this.
  5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an 80 meter diapole and found it is very near resonant (1 : 1.4) on 17 meters and 1 : 1.6 on 10 meters.

On both bands, I can put my tuner in bypass and no issues.

DO1FER likes this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats the thing. But the next problem is the wavelenght of the antenna. At the 10M Band for example, when the wavelenght gets than the double or more, the antenna transmits a desintegrated signal. So the energy will be set free, but the signal isnt for to use anymore. Here its helpful to look at some radiation patterns what happen with the signal when its get desintegrated. The signal begin to look like a bobble.

7. W3KKO

W3KKO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For traffic handling, "3" is pronounced "tree". Its possible they were just following that convention.
    Adding an "S" to 73 gets me sometimes. Dad was WW-2 US Army signal Corp, and used phonetics from back then, not today's version. He'd say his name Boston India London London, and Kilowatt Kilowatt Ontario. I pull that out sometimes on phone, partly because I heard it for years, and partly to honor him. 73 be safe all!

8. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Tree fiddy.

KO4CES likes this.
  9. WA8MEA

WA8MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

WA8MEA: Heard two "resident" antennas and a "ten over five" signal report while tuning around this afternoon. Also, a lot of hams wanting to start their antique airplanes by yelling, "Contact!"

WD4ELG: ROFL

I just heard one I've never heard before.
    (Well, I have heard it in the medical community, but not amateur radio.)
    I have "guide wires" on my tower!

10. N2QGV

N2QGV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This seems to be more of a info commercial for the RigExpert. Spent 10 minutes of a 13 minute video talking about the meter.

11. WA8MEA

WA8MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Add another to the list...
    Morris code.