ad: k1jek

Republican Ajit Pai to become chairman of the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9NAY, Jan 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing I have to add to this thread is this here. I voted for Donald Trump, I'll be the first to admit it. but I sure hope like the Dickens that this new presidential Administration does not turn amateur radio especially on the HF bands into what it was in the 1980s when there was little or no enforcement at all., unless someone really really complained about things.

The last thing we need is for 75 meters and especially on 20 meters, to go back to the pre Riley days when things were actually being taken care of. we don't need it like it was before, that was an embarrassment to this hobby and I hope somebody somewhere has enough sense not to take the FCC and merge it with another agency and amateur radio go on the bottom of the list of things to take care of. I know we police ourselves; but if anybody remembers what 14. 313 and 3898 was like back in the nineteen eighties knows what I'm talking about. we don't need to go back to that again... please God don't let it happen.

N5PZJ likes this.
  2. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have high hopes :)

3. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Demand that you face your accuser, demand your constitutional rights.
    Want to roll over and abrogate that right? Then you deserve what you get.

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

You two have obviously stumbled upon the "trade off" involved. :)

5. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? You do realize that Administrative is only for Regulatory Violations which can only be a fine, the same rules of Court apply and you may have counsel? Its not the same as criminal and the rules of evidence are relaxed for both sides and it usually is a NOT a court of Record? Administrative Law is a conference item, a full hearing before an ALJ if required is similar in the Military to an Administrative Discipline Type hearing. Administrative Regulatory hearings are not great big involved things unless it is a gross violation.

I have sat through administrative hearings and been appointed to hear (mediate) small cases (under $5000) so yes the accuser and the accused are there, in civil hearings their civil right is to be heard, examine the evidence and question the same after each party has been duly served and sworn into the proceeding. The Judge or Mediator is sworn to uphold the law and Equity of the proceeding.

KD0TLS likes this.
  6. KA2ZEY

KA2ZEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't this guy anti-net neutrality? I've heard rumors but can't confirm.

7. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You were...until your dog ate the shoe.
    Looks like it is time to change your avatar. Good-bye, cute puppy!

Regards,
    -Bruce

8. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually Pai was sounding warnings of the possibility of losing freedoms on the inter webs when it was not a popular thing to do. If anything he is anti tyranny and was taking a stand for your freedoms. Your opinion may vary.

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing to keep in mind is that the new administration is headed by someone whose expertise is real estate. And not just property in general, but high-end property. You have to assume that people he appoints are going to be at least sympathetic to that side of the argument.

So it might be a good idea to approach with caution the idea of attracting the attention of the administration or its appointees. I would suggest that any argument that is made to real-estate professionals needs to be air-tight. If the hams end up on one side of a dispute, either in Congress, or at FCC, or in the courts, with the real estate folks on the other side, I would not give good odds on the hams' chance of prevailing under such an administration.

AI1W likes this.
  10. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

far too late my friend..................

KG5EXW likes this.
  11. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

hopes on what ?

12. K1GHC

K1GHC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're all making complete fools of yourselves with hysterical predictions anyone in his/her right mind knows will never come true.

Find something else to focus on - maybe fighting for a right that you already have and get down to DC this weekend......

KG5EXW likes this.
  13. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Reduce public spending and regulations *

* Don't touch things that affect me because they're really important and so am I.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    WA8FOZ, KD0TLS and KK6ZHJ like this.
  14. GW4JPC

GW4JPC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the way it is going in the UK where Ofcom seems to be washing its' hands of interference problems like VDSL on the HF bands and concentrating on revenue generation through the auction of spectrum to the highest bidder. The bands at 10 GHz and below are most threatened in this respect. They were shared with the Ministry of Defence where hams were secondary users. 2.3 and 3.4 GHz are to be the first to be pruned as MoD realeses them with more to follow. As commercial demand for sprectrum increase the ham bands will come under increasing pressure at VHF and above. An administration supportive of Amateur Radio is probably of greater concern than the name of the agency that regulates it. Good luck to US hams in that respect!

M0REU, AI1W and N4FZ like this.
  15. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We shall have to wait and see what happens.

N5PZJ likes this.