ad: elecraft

RaDAR? What’s That?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M6ECG, Oct 14, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. M6ECG

M6ECG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

It’s: Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio!

If you like to challenge yourself in all aspects of portable radio operation you will love the RaDAR Challenge on November 4th 2023

So, what’s the challenge?

Make five contacts, move position and redeploy as fast as possible over the course of four hours!

How?

Move between operating positions on foot, bicycle, skateboard, scooter, by car, kayak, camel (!!!) or any other means you choose.

What do I need to do?

Register now for the November rally! Accepting registrations through November 3rd UTC.

This is not a contest; it is just for fun!

Where?

Join the party! Head over to our: RaDAR Group! See you there!

73 de Lucy, M6ECG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
    KE8EC, KN6FWT, NU4R and 7 others like this.
  2. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

i do that with POTA. lots of fun

W6BFK, KI5UXW and M6ECG like this.
  3. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I turn my dish to a spot that planes traverse and I can transmit -then receive the signal. That would be the root of RADAR. I think VHF propagation can be "bounced" off aircraft or high level rocket contrails etc that are similar to meteor scatter.

4. M6ECG

Hi David! Loving your portable POTA setups and motorbikes! Come out and play RaDAR with us on November 4th!

KI5UXW likes this.
  5. M6ECG

Hi Ken! That’s brilliant! I might have a go at this sometime! We’d be really interested to hear more about your /p setup and this in particular at RaDAR HQ!

6. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Took a bit of burrowing to find anything about this that wasn't just a mailing list (which is fine for participants to discuss participating, but says very little of use to someone who has no idea what it's all about). I did find a few blogs that did a bit of useful explaining. So far, the most helpful I've found is https://zs6bne.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/so-what-is-radar/ and it's a bit more of a history than an explanation...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  7. M6ECG

Hi Rick, I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for! 73

8. VU3IBL

VU3IBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We do simillar activities on Beaches On The Air (BOTA), what is web site to know more about RaDAR...

9. N4KGL

N4KGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the great post, Lucy. The RaDAR Rally encourages a challenging and rewarding portable operating experience by promoting the rapid deployment of your station and physical exercise. The rally rules are here. The next RaDAR Rally is November 4th, 2023. Please join the RaDAR group on groups.io. Greg N4KGL is the POC for the rally. My info is good on QRZ.COM.

www.radarrally.info

M6ECG likes this.
  10. M6ECG

I
    I like the sound of BOTA

Namaskar Am!

Beaches On The Air fits really well with RaDAR! I work almost exclusively, portable from my local beaches and saltmarsh. For November’s challenge I will be moving between my deployments, after having made 5 contacts on an old fashioned push scooter as one of my modes of transport! Will you be joining us from one of your lovely beaches? I hope so! 73

VU3IBL likes this.
  11. LB4FH

LB4FH Ham Member QRZ Page

RaDar is fun, at least it was when I tried it a few years back The lack of stations doing it in Europe was what stopped me then, as there were few people to speak to.

Do you have any idea about how many will turn up now in November?

This is how it looked like when I tried it back in 2018

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    M6ECG likes this.
  12. M6ECG

Hi Bob, I love your video and all of the interesting info you tell us. Agreed, most people dont know their grid locater and it can take a bit of explaining to people what RaDAR is all about … Hence,
    my post here at QRZ.com.

I dont know how many people are coming out to play on November 4th but Greg, N4KGL might be able to give you some idea. I posted here on the forums as POTA, BOTA and RaDAR are not mutually exclusive!
    Great to see your video Bob! Thanks for sharing and I hope to make a RaDAR to RaDAR contact with you before too long! 73

LB4FH likes this.
  13. LB4FH

LB4FH Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's hope for a QSO this November then. UK is usually well within range from here. I'll start around mid-day.

M6ECG likes this.
  14. M6ECG

I will make sure my operating time overlaps with yours and looking forward to catching up with you soon Bob. I’ll be posting about my planned route, modes of transport and station setup once I have finalised my plans on the RaDAR Group page. Its great to see you back! :D 73

LB4FH likes this.
  15. VU3IBL

VU3IBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

M6ECG likes this.