ad: elecraft

Quarter Century Wireless Association Celebrates 70 Years With Anniversary Cruise

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE6AFO, Jan 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE6AFO

VE6AFO Ham Member QRZ Page

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

www.qcwa.org

The Quarter Century Wireless Association, Inc. (QCWA) Invites All Amateur Radio Operators, Family and Friends To Join Us on the QCWA 70th Anniversary Charity Cruise.

NEW YORK (January 29, 2017) The Quarter Century Wireless Association, Inc. (QCWA) Board of Directors is pleased to announce the QCWA 70th Anniversary Charity Cruise sailing on 18 October 2017 on the new ms Koningsdam with Holland America Cruise Line.

Come and help us celebrate QCWA’s 70th anniversary in grand style! Everyone is welcome!

Bookings will be with White Travel, CT. Toll Free Phone: 1-800-547-4790 Fax: (860) 236-6177 or Email: jmallory@whitetravel.com.

This eleven (11) day cruise will be leaving Fort Lauderdale with port of calls to Philipsburg, St Maarten, Point-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe, Bridgetown, Barbados, Fort-de-France, Martinique, Daylight Passing Mount Pelee, (cruising only), Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., Half Moon Cay, Bahamas and return to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US.

The Holland America Cruise Line has given QCWA permission to use amateur radio on board the new Konginsdam. The QCWA call sign W2MM will be used during the 11 days.

For more information and updates visit http://www.whitetravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/qcwalp3.pdf or White Travel http://www.whitetravel.com/

About QCWA
    It all began during a 10-meter round table one Friday night in November 1947. Six of the members decided they should form an organization of Amateur Radio operators who have been licensed for more than 25 years. It was 7 PM on the evening of Friday, December 5, 1947, in an upstairs room of Pappas Restaurant on 14th St. in New York City. Gathered were 34 young men who, unknowingly, were making amateur wireless history. The 34 were Amateur Radio Operators, who had been licensed at least 25 years before, and were assembled because of an idea, originated by a 10 meter round table the month before, by John DiBlasi, W2FX; Uda Ross, W2UD/OA4J; Ed Crane W2FF; John Gioe, W2FD; Dr. Ernest Cyriax, W2DI; Irving Groves, W2DX/K4HT.

Ken Oelke, VE6AFO

President, Quarter Century Wireless Association, Inc.

president@qcwa.org

Attached Files:

K9PLG and K0PIR like this.
  2. W8GEG

W8GEG Ham Member QRZ Page

w8geeg would like to go, hope we get enough hams to go..
    Harold
    w8geg

3. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ken,
    Isn't that cutting it kinda CLOSE? I say that because typically in the central Atlantic and the Caribbean @ that time of the year "MAJOR HURRICANES" still develop from Central Africa Westward towards the Windward & Leeward islands !!!

4. VE6AFO

QCWA too hopes we get many joining us on this anniversary cruise. Time will tell!

Ken Oelke, VE6AFO

5. VE6AFO

This is true, however the cruise line business is well aware of hurricanes at this time of year. They have it well planned to avoid them at all costs. QCWA has had 3 cruises in the Caribbean during this time of year (2001, 2009 & 2013) without encountering any hurricane problems. Hope you can join us??

Ken Oelke, VE6AFO

W5SGA likes this.
  6. K4LSX

K4LSX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Went on the 2013 QCWA cruise. It was fantastic!
    Holland America is the best.
    John
    K4LSX

7. KY4MJW

KY4MJW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Holland America is a great cruise company :)
    KY4MJW.

8. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, that's amazing news. AMSAT just hosted our 2016 Space Symposium aboard a cruise ship. I'd love to join the QCWA cruise but only have so much vacation.... Not retired (yet.)

9. KV5Q

KV5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be interested in going.
    Kirk
    KV5Q

10. VE6AFO

Yes, I had known about the AMSAT Cruise/Board of Directors' Meeting. I wonder how that all went, and if Amateur Radio on-board was permitted? I forgot which cruise line that was on? Ahh, too bad you run your vacation time out, but you have nine months to make up for more, hi, hi!!

Thanks...73, Ken Oelke, VE6AFO

11. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lol, I can see now- wire antennas strung every which way- verticals clamped to railings, OM sitting around on deck chairs yelling CQ yure 59 59.... might be worth the trip...

12. W2CQ

W2CQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,
    I live in Ft Lauderdale and as a Member of the active QCWA Branch #69, and as an Officer of the South Florida DX Association (SFDXA.com) I invite everyone to use our local SFDXA repeater with excellent coverage of the area. 147.33+ (103.5 tone).

Bill Marx W2CQ

13. K2MYS

K2MYS QRZ Member QRZ Page

Great QCWA cruise. We will try to make it. 73 de Bob K2MYS & Stephanie WA2IAD

14. K4LO

K4LO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well...I'm going. Just made my reservation. Not a member of QCWA (yet), but been a ham for 58 years. XYL just passed away...and this cruise will be a catharsis for me. First cruise I have ever been on (but did do 22 years in Navy!). Looking forward to a FUN time.

73, Phil - K4LO

15. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure wish I could go!!! Next year I am celebrationg 50 years as a Ham! But I can't even afford a HARBOR CRUISE on my Social Security!!!

WA6MHZ past Prez of San Diego QCWA Chapter 14