ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Operating Awards Official Release!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

QRZ Operating Awards Official Release!

We are pleased to announce the culmination of a 3 year design effort that establishes QRZ as an operating awards authority. First, there was the QRZ Logbook prototype (V1) and now with our V2 Logbook in full production, we have added a Log Analyzer capability that many of you have been experimenting over the past few months. Today, we're rolling a full fledged awards program that recognizes your achievements based on your QRZ Logbook entries.

The awards now available from QRZ include:

• United States Award
    The United States Award is available to any QRZ member whose Logbook on QRZ.com contains at least one confirmed contact from each of the 50 US States.​

• DX World Award
    The DX World Award is available to any QRZ member whose Logbook on QRZ.com contains at least one confirmed contact from each of at least 100 distinct ARRL DXCC entities.

• Grid Squared Award
    This award is available to any QRZ member whose Logbook on QRZ.com contains at least one confirmed contact from each of 100 unique Maidenhead grid squares.​

• World Continents Award
    The World Continents Award is available to any QRZ member whose Logbook on QRZ.com contains at least one confirmed contact from 6 continental zones of the world. These include: Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America, and Oceania.

Endorsements are available for Mixed or individual bands as well as Mixed and individual modes (Phone, CW, Digital.)

QRZ Awards are FREE
    As a member of QRZ with a valid amateur radio license, you are eligible to earn awards based on your QRZ Logbook contents. Your QRZ operating awards show up on your callsign page in a special tab called "Awards". There is no requirement to become a QRZ Subscriber to earn operating awards.

Fine lithographed QRZ award certificates available at a modest cost.
    If you would like a handsomely lithographed and numbered certificate with QRZ's signature holographic seal of authenticity, you may order them directly from your callsign page. These certificates were custom designed for our members and have been reproduced on fine paper by a commercial printing company. They have a gorgeous, high quality look and feel that uniquely recognizes the hard work and dedication used in earning your award.

Applying for an award is simple once you have the confirmed QSOs in your logbook!
    From your logbook, simply click "Awards," select the logbook(s) to use toward the award by following the instructions on that page, and select the award heading that you're interested in. From there you will be shown the analysis of your logbook for that award in the Mixed mode. If eligible, you will be presented with a Congratulations screen, and given the option to apply.

To view a different mode, such as CW, Digital, or Phone, simply select the mode from the "Award Type" drop-down menu, and a new analysis will be completed. Like before, if you are eligible, you will be presented with a Congratulations screen, and given the option to apply.

Questions?

• What if I already have the award, and I achieve a new band? How do I get the endorsement?
    Simply run the analyzer again. If it determines you have completed a new band for an award you have already achieved, it will give you the endorsement automatically!​

• Where can I see what awards I have achieved, and their endorsements?
    A new "Awards" tab has been created that will appear on your callsign page once you've achieved an award. You can see an example on the N0AMT page: here.

• Where can I find the Awards Program Rules?
    The Awards Program Rules Document can be found here. There is also a link to this document on the "Awards" page in your QRZ Logbook.

• Will you be adding new awards?
    Yes! Initially, we're launching with these 4 awards, but over time we hope to add a number of additional award types!

• Do you offer award certificates?
    Yes! Once you have achieved an award, you will be emailed with a link to purchase a certificate, and a link will always exist on the "Awards" tab of your callsign page.
    Note: Platinum Subscribers receive one complimentary certificate per year. Life Members are entitled to unlimited certificates.

• What do the certificates look like?
    Below is an animated graphic showing some of the possibilities!

[​IMG]

In addition to the above, this update also includes a number of improvements:

• The ability to select the logbook you wish to use for consideration in the Leaderboard (previously "Rank")
    • A new category ("Band-Countries") added to the Leaderboard
    • Full Deleted DXCC Entity support

Suggestions?
    If you have suggestions, please let us know by posting a new topic in the Suggestions and New Feature Requests section of the Logbook Forums!​

Need Help?
    Check out the QRZ Logbook Handbook for a walkthrough of how to resolve any issues you have!​

So what are you waiting for? No more waiting in line for the card-checker to validate your paper QSL cards. No more application or membership fees to obtain an award! It's never been easier!

Thank you for your continued support and feedback! We're very excited about the QRZ Operating Awards, and continuing to serve the Amateur Radio community!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great news thanks!

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Those look really nice Fred.

4. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

The Awesome is strong with this one...

5. EB1BSV

EB1BSV QRZ Lifetime Member #59 Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Interesting, exciting!

Good job Fred!

6. WB9LUR

WB9LUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on rolling out the award program! Wish we could get more QRZ members to upload their logs ...

73, Randy / WB9LUR

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked and am a LONG WAYS from qualifiying for anything. I only have 25 outta 50 states and 10 of 100 DXCCs. That is despite uploading my whole LOTW log to QRZed. So the problem is getting the other stations to upload too. Meanwhile I have Honor Roll on ARRL DXCC and Triple play WAS on ARRL WAS. I doubt many if any of the W1AW/x stations uploaded to QRZed.

8. N0AMT

N0AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! As of last night's run, QRZ Logbook sees an average of 211,168 new QSOs input each day, which I think is pretty fantastic. That said, we're ALWAYS looking to do even better.

We're hopeful that offering awards will be an incentive to some of those who have not started making full-use of the QRZ Logbook!

It's also worth noting that QRZ Logbook is not yet 1 year old. Adoption to the extend that LoTW has achieved in 10+ years will take some time ;-)

9. N4YI

N4YI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred,
    DX, WAS has always been fun but very expensive to confirm. IRC, Dollar bills added up quickly.
    Many of us have QSL cards that will never be counted. Your efforts are very welcome.
    Come back to Huntsville hamfest. We enjoyed meeting you.
    Wayne & Jewell

10. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

"I Still Need Help:"

How do I turn off the awards achieved banners on my bio? I've looked through the settings and the help but haven't found that answer. Sorry if I missed it. Maybe it's not an option yet?

Oh, and the Awards tab too if possible. Might be in the same place I overlooked.

11. N0AMT

N0AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

No such option exists to hide your award badges or the "Awards" tab from your callsign page. I'll pass this on to the others for consideration.

12. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Alex!

13. KD2EOM

KD2EOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool! This is the only grid square award I know that you can get on HF! Just got one with two endorsements. I hadn't uploaded to QRZ Logbook in a while - this is a great incentive. Tomorrow I'll update it and see what other awards I can get! Thanks QRZ

Tobias, KD2EOM
    http://QSL.NET/kd2eom

14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Really cool Fred and company! Nicely done effort. I only recently started using the
    QRZ logbook - so what fun to log in, upload my ADIF from N3JFP and BAM!! Got a
    few awards right off the bat. That was really fun.

Overall, the log project here I think is pretty darn cool. Had a few hiccups as any
    big endeavor does - but I think long term, the QRZ log and awards will very much
    rise in use and popularity. Just looking at the Leaderboard is testimony to that.

Good job QRZ team. I like it.

Dave
    W7UUU

15. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done QRZ team, I do appreciate all your efforts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.